How many HDDs/SSDs have you lost?

James_McKeane

The only hard drive I have lost was on a Packard Bell 486SX (Win3.1) my family owned that crapped out some time before 1996 (i remember this because I wrote a report in QBasic when i was in the 3rd grades since the OS was corrupted). I've also had a drive die on a Gateway G6-350 (Pentium II, Win98, also owned by my family). Gateway replaced it, but not before shipping the replacement with Windows Me (dear lord...just...don't ask...). The pc my parents currently own they bought in 2004 (Pentium4 505, WinXP). The HD either craps out or gets a nasty fake antivirus on it. A simple non-destructive restoration usually settles everything.

The point of all that is after some point HD's became more reliable (or at least for me it did). I run two laptops and an external hdd and never once had a corruption or write error. Hell, before I threw out the old gateway for my parents, I took the HD out and threw it up and down the street, and it had absolutely no effect on performance of the OS.

So what say you: how many drives have you lost?

I've lost 0 HD's and 3 SSD's. OCZ has made some crap drives for me

Ive lost 2 notebook hard disk and 1 desktop drive. The one notebook drive died so I installed a new one and 6 months later that one died. Western Digital sent me a larger drive as an RMA replacement so no complains. The desktop drive was taken out by a power surge. Lucky it was only the drive and not the rest of the machine.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

None,I have a 80GB HDD from 2003 and it is still working! I put Linux on it and it works great! Transfer speeds are slow as hell, but that is to be expected.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Only lost one 80GB WD laptop hdd, after serious abuse. When i contacted WD, they offered med a 250GB replacement :S. I wanted an SSD and turned it down, feeling that it was my own fault the HDD broke.

I've never lost a drive due to hardware failure, only by formatting the wrong drive and really losing a drive. I've lost I think 3 drives by just forgetting them somewhere are losing them somewhere at home.

I've only had one die. It was some crappy 60Gb drive from an old school computer (no I didn't steal it :) ).

I've been pretty lucky, only ever lost one drive, a cheap maxtor 500GB external I bought some years ago.

Rig: CPU: 1x quad core potato(4.6GHz). Cooling: Iced Tea. GPU: AMD HDToaster. Motherboard: Asus "Stale Bread Extreme Edition". RAM: 2x 4GB sticks of 1600MHz celery. PSU: 650w Roborovski Hamster in wheel.  Storage: Many Floppy Disks. 

I have lost 3 HDD laptop drives and 0 SSD

AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.5ghz      Evga gtx 660       SilverStone FT03      Samsung 840 128gb  

I've lost two hard drives (some 250GB Seagate thing and a WD Scorpio Blue 750GB) in the same laptop I've had for almost 4 years mainly due to being knocked around a little which was my fault.

The hard drive I have currently is a 750GB WD Scorpio Black and its running great.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I never lost a drive but brother lost 3 velociraptors

had a 300gb WD blue scopio die on me after 1.5 years of having the acer laptop.

Had a WD 2tb external die on me

Had a WD 2tb Green die on me.

I own 5 Ocz vertex 2/ 3 line, all have been great for me not an issue, but my cruical m4 256gb I've gotten some issues with boot up on the OS taking a wide range of times from 1 minute to 4 minutes, not too sure had to reformat it, and hope it doesn't act up again and hope it was just some random OS corruption and not the hard drive messing up

Lost only one hdd. a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3,5" drive, that i lost last year or something. After that, im only going to go for SSD's in my rig....

Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.9GHz |--| Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 |--| 16GB Crucial BalisitX Elite @ 1600MHz |--| Sapphire + Gigabyte HD 7990 in Quad CrossfireX @ 1,100MHz |--| Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD |--|  2x Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB HDDs in Raid0 |--| CoolerMaster V1200 Platinum |--| Corsair Obsidian 750D

"There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking

I had one laptop hdd die while under warranty, everything else has survived for me.

I've only lost 1 laptop HDD to failure, even though my sister's is still running after undergoing way more physical abuse than mine ever did.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

SSD's 0, probably mainly due to the lack of them or low count but now that I remember one did die, the user fell (laptop in backpack) and it killed the SSD drive, yes they fell and the drive died, OCZ didn't buy it either till they got the drive and shipped out a new one as it was under warranty.

Hard Drives N, been at it too long, a couple months a go a box with who knows how many was shipped out to the shredders. Then again we are mainly on spinning hard drives. Persaonlly maybe two or three, I consider dead drives that have repeated bad sectors, still useable but I'm not chancing it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Only one external hard drive. I was PO too when Toshiba didn't honor my warranty because they had recently just switched their policy. Like a sucker, I bought another one but it was a USB 3.0 model lol. I love the drive and haven't had any problems with it but most people would have a sour taste in their mouth after an experience like that.

All of my other storage never sticks around long enough to die since I usually wipe them several times and sell them on Craigslist.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I've only lost lost a 2tb WD Green, only lasted about 2 months... and I have a 160gb Toshiba Hard drive that crashes constantly, no matter how much formatting and reinstalls of windows I do.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

One laptop hard drive failure. That's all. Thankfully.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Lost 1 hard drive in 2 weeks from getting the Asus G53.

Good Morning...

I had a drive die before, an 80gb WD drive, it was a pretty old one. I'm glad I was able to recover my data.

...most drives will work for decades...the killfactor is hard abuse...after all, nobody can prevent wear and tear...

hdddead.jpg

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

I've lost 0 HD's and 3 SSD's. OCZ has made some crap drives for me
So true! I will never buy a OCZ drive again. I do think that their drives are getting better though.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!