Safe to use power supply mobo extension cable?

sakamoto747
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

What motherboard do you have? What CPU cooler? The CPU fan shouldn't be anywhere near close enough to the motherboard 24pin connector for it to get in the way (if anything, the RAM sticks will block the cooler/fan first).

I will not recommend using extension cables for your PSU. Especially not cheap $2 generic garbage made in china for half a cent like the one pictured.

If you are going to go with the CableMod Cables as others have suggested, then if anything you should get compatible replacement motherboard cables since you have a fully modular PSU, not extension cables.

Motherboard MSI A58M-E33 (MS-7721) (P0)

Cooling Arctic Freezer A11

Power Supply Bitfenix Whisper M 450w

Ah hello, thanks to quite a lot of help from members here I was able to decide on a power supply which I received today.

Turns out the motherboard plug has a bit of a boot to it and I think it may inhibit my CPU fan as it will stand in the way. I was wonder if these extension cables are safe to use to get around this and if there were any recommendations or whatnot.

DSC_0209_S.jpg

12-inch-24-pin-male-female-motherboard-power-extension-cable-44.png

Get something nice like the Lian Li strimer. RGB goodness.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Get something nice like the Lian Li strimer. RGB goodness.

Ah thanks for the reply but I'm not interested in lights, just something basic that won't melt down.

Just now, sakamoto747 said:

Ah thanks for the reply but I'm not interested in lights, just something basic that won't melt down.

Yeah it'll work

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Yeah it'll work

Is there something else that doesn't light up that you could recommend or are basic ones safe? I'm just a little anxious because I read someone had their melt the other day.

Try to fit it with the stock cable. It shouldn't be an issue. What kind of motherboard has the 24 pin right next to the CPU?

:)

Just now, sakamoto747 said:

Is there something else that doesn't light up that you could recommend or are basic ones safe? I'm just a little anxious because I read someone had their melt the other day.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16812162053

You can get something like this, more reputable brand, not to mention a lot prettier

Primary PC:

5 minutes ago, sakamoto747 said:

Get something cheap like Cablemod basic extensions that will make your PC look nice too

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

What motherboard do you have? What CPU cooler? The CPU fan shouldn't be anywhere near close enough to the motherboard 24pin connector for it to get in the way (if anything, the RAM sticks will block the cooler/fan first).

I will not recommend using extension cables for your PSU. Especially not cheap $2 generic garbage made in china for half a cent like the one pictured.

If you are going to go with the CableMod Cables as others have suggested, then if anything you should get compatible replacement motherboard cables since you have a fully modular PSU, not extension cables.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Oh silly me, I should've added that to my main post. I'll edit that.

Y'know now that you mention it, the motherboard cable area does look a bit lower than the CPU cooler. Maybe it's not an issue after all.

Edit: Thanks for the perspective and info on the unsafeness of using these things on my power supply. I was worried about exactly that. I will be sticking with the cables as they are.

42 minutes ago, sakamoto747 said:

Y'know now that you mention it, the motherboard cable area does look a bit lower than the CPU cooler. Maybe it's not an issue after all.

Can you please post a photo of the clearance issues you are having? Even with your mATX motherboard you should have adequate clearance.

Spoiler

Product specifies 31mm of space required from the edge of the CPU socket.

image.png.f7196fa09ad6edda016b2c4d5be586e2.png

The total width of the cooler with fan is only 90mm.

image.png.167e1a6c89d83d47f74ea4fbefc915e3.png

https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-a11.html

Edit: based on the dimensions of your board from the product specifications page which state 172mm width, and estimating distances based on this image, you should have more than the 31mm of clearance required for the CPU cooler to the 24pin motherboard socket.

image.png.91dd81cdb9028b0084410779867f77dc.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, sakamoto747 said:

Power Supply Bitfenix Whisper M 450w

Ah hello, thanks to quite a lot of help from members here I was able to decide on a power supply which I received today.

Turns out the motherboard plug has a bit of a boot to it and I think it may inhibit my CPU fan as it will stand in the way. I was wonder if these extension cables are safe to use to get around this and if there were any recommendations or whatnot.

DSC_0209_S.jpg

12-inch-24-pin-male-female-motherboard-power-extension-cable-44.png

Then buy a different 24-pin cable.  DO NOT use an extension.

Maybe even just cut the boot off (if the look of the caps don't bother you too much).

I see so many melted pins on extensions and adapters, it makes me sick.