Compatibility and Performance Questions

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, 1988fido said:

how do you know they work together?
the SFP DAC cable
or the transceiver module 
in my research there are many types and some are not compatible with other stuff

so that nas have  sfp+ port on it but how you know which cable will work with it?
i found that there is different sizes wave lengths etc.. but couldn't understand 

umm also is there a similar bundle or option in amazon ?

thanks for the help . you been very awesome and fast reply xD

Thats a direct attache copper cable, you just connect one end to your pc and the other to the nas.

Ebay is your friend here.

Hi

I am making a Nas :) 
(again )

so this is what I could think of for my needs:
Qnap TS-963X   (Q1 can I upgrade the ram and is it easy to do so ? like reach 8GB or 16)
my idea is to use the SSD bay's for fast access data while the 5.25" will be Archive hardisks to store big data on cheap for archiving purposes and a backup only.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVLSCSJ/?coliid=I3HGAOFVNHOVJG&colid=Q0W9KCFV92QE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Now the network Card to put in my computer 
QXG-10G1T  ( so am not sure if its Ethernet 10Gbe or sfp+ same as then as am not sure 100% so I want to double check with you guys on this forums )
no one Ask why 10Gbe plz xD common I have 18TB full right now that I need to back up so I need 32TB of data at least so I can make then as as backup then have another 18TB to start storing more stuff , so the speed of regular 1Gbe is going to take forever .
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CW2C2J1/?coliid=I2VR7LKODWQCLF&colid=Q0W9KCFV92QE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The switch:
the cheapest 10Gbe switch I could find that isn't random brand I never heard of 
Asus XG-  (2 ports 10Gbe ) which I think should be good , because right now I need more regular Rj45 for the many devices I have hooked to the router and ran out of ports:
Nintendo switch,
TV
Nvidia shield
PC X3 (2nd router).  ( only 1 pc need to have 10gbe , the work pc/gaming)
ps4

so I am thinking to remove the 2nd router and just use 1 Router with 1 Switch make a close with all networking stuff in it or get a small rack 6u.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZMM7ZO/?coliid=IZV5JRLP15G2K&colid=Q0W9KCFV92QE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Now my questions:

all compatible ?
the speed I will get the 10Gbe :/ with that nas or the cpu is slow +ram too low ?

and is it cheaper to go sfp+ route or are there any big benefits maybe I should consider to go sfp+ for like future proofing ?
I tried to cut the cost for myself by choosing ethernet 10Gbe I have wiring in the walls using cat6A ( hopefully good quality ) and many cables + cable molds on the walls I could use if I have to.

Network Layout Attatched

Network Layout (1).pdf

Whats your current network layout?

You shouldn't need a switch, just get a rj45 10gbe card for your pc and run a direct link to the nas.

the nas probably won't get full 10gbe speeds, but it will be faster than gigabit. Probably in the 300-400mB/s range is my guess, but depends on use.

The big reasons to go sfp+ is easy of upgradeability(those lc cables can easily handle 40gbe+, power(10gbe over rj45 is very power hungry), and distance(about 100m max on cat 6a, where you can go 100km on fiber). Fiber is often about the same cost or cheaper than copper for large deployments. Also sfp+ is ethernet.

What's your budget for a switch? You can pick up a Cisco Nexus 3048TP for roughly $200 on eBay - it has 4x 10GbE SFP+ ports and 48x 1GbE ports.

It's enterprise-grade hardware and fully managed (although you probably won't need management capabilities).

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Whats your current network layout?

You shouldn't need a switch, just get a rj45 10gbe card for your pc and run a direct link to the nas.

the nas probably won't get full 10gbe speeds, but it will be faster than gigabit. Probably in the 300-400mB/s range is my guess, but depends on use.

The big reasons to go sfp+ is easy of upgradeability(those lc cables can easily handle 40gbe+, power(10gbe over rj45 is very power hungry), and distance(about 100m max on cat 6a, where you can go 100km on fiber). Fiber is often about the same cost or cheaper than copper for large deployments. Also sfp+ is ethernet.

:) ok here it is
am thinking to get google wifi pack3 or wt to do no idea for bad reception in living room#1
other computers are laptops so wifi is good and will use it to stream over the network movies , tv shows etc.. 
also need a good wifi in room#2 which is my room for smart devices like the LIFX light bulbs 

Network Layout (1).pdf

2 hours ago, Lyphiard said:

What's your budget for a switch? You can pick up a Cisco Nexus 3048TP for roughly $200 on eBay - it has 4x 10GbE SFP+ ports and 48x 1GbE ports.

It's enterprise-grade hardware and fully managed (although you probably won't need management capabilities).

am trying to make the entire thing Under 900$ because I still have to buy ssd's and Hardisks :/ 
so..

NAS 630$
switch 130$
pcie 10gbe card 90$

total so far the parts I chose 850$

24 minutes ago, 1988fido said:

:) ok here it is
am thinking to get google wifi pack3 or wt to do no idea for bad reception in living room#1
other computers are laptops so wifi is good and will use it to stream over the network movies , tv shows etc.. 
also need a good wifi in room#2 which is my room for smart devices like the LIFX light bulbs 

Network Layout (1).pdf

No need for a 10gbe switch, just get a normal switch, and have a direct link for your desktop. The nas with have 2 network cables.

3 hours ago, Lyphiard said:

You have to configure the box to make it work, therefor you have to manage it at some point. Assuming it doesn't come with a config you need to password recover and then wipe to start all over again, for anyone who has no experience with NX-OS or other enterprise CLI gear, this is a complete waste of time and going to lead OP to tear their hair out most likely. Additionally the Nexus boxes, like most enterprise gear, are VERY loud and not something I would suggest for anyone looking for some peace and quiet or doesn't have a far away place to hide it.

25 minutes ago, 1988fido said:

am trying to make the entire thing Under 900$ because I still have to buy ssd's and Hardisks :/ 
so..

NAS 630$
switch 130$
pcie 10gbe card 90$

total so far the parts I chose 850$

There is no need for the switch that was suggested and I say this as someone who has a much more overkill setup than that. Unless you know your way around the Cisco CLI then you'll be very confused and will end up spending more time researching how to configure it, wipe the existing config, etc. that you will just plugging it up and enjoying it. I would do as @Electronics Wizardy suggested and just attach the two boxes directly and then do 1GbE to the rest of the network for other connectivity.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No need for a 10gbe switch, just get a normal switch, and have a direct link for your desktop. The nas with have 2 network cables.

not enough Ethernet in the room I am already down 1 . need a switch . so you saying i buy regular switch ?
ok and what about the internet I get connected thru the nas to pc or normal gigabit will give me internet while 10gbe just to access files ?

also big question 
i have Asus maximus X hero
i7 8700k 
so in total i get 16Pcie 
8x for 1080 Ti
4x nvme ssd
4x for usb's , sata drives etc..

so if i want to plug the pcie card will reduce the bandwidth on them right :/ ?

( ofc i have in mind that i should go for x299 for my work/ramming needs + more pcie etc.. but cant prioritize it over back up first also its bigger budget )

(right now i am need for back really more than upgrade )

Just now, 1988fido said:

not enough Ethernet in the room I am already down 1 . need a switch . so you saying i buy regular switch ?

just get a gig switch

1 minute ago, 1988fido said:

ok and what about the internet I get connected thru the nas to pc or normal gigabit will give me internet while 10gbe just to access files ?

one port on the nas goes to your pc, one goes to the rest of the network.

also big question 
i have Asus maximus X hero
i7 8700k 
so in total i get 16Pcie 
8x for 1080 Ti
4x nvme ssd
4x for usb's , sata drives etc..

You have 16 lanes from the cpu, and anouther 24(about) from the chipset.

So 16x for the 1080ti, 4x from chipset for the m.2, 4x from chipset(depends on the slot) for the 10gbe, and other chipset lanes for the usb and sata.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

just get a gig switch

one port on the nas goes to your pc, one goes to the rest of the network.

but then the rest of the network will have access to the nas only 1gigabit speed
enough for like the family movies streaming , copying etc.. ?
like lets say 2 laptops and 1 smart TV etc.. (1080p)

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I would do as @Electronics Wizardy suggested and just attach the two boxes directly and then do 1GbE to the rest of the network for other connectivity.

plug the pc to the nas direct you mean

ok but how is the internet access will it be a hassle switching between 1gbe to access internet then my nas 10gbe (on my pc ) ?

Just now, 1988fido said:

but then the rest of the network will have access to the nas only 1gigabit speed
enough for like the family movies streaming , copying etc.. ?
like lets say 2 laptops and 1 smart TV etc..

yep it will be fine. Most move streaming will use about 50mbit/s, so very little.

ok but how is the internet access will it be a hassle switching between 1gbe to access internet then my nas 10gbe (on my pc ) ?

Just give both ports an ip, its pretty simple. They will both work at once. Lots of guides. I thnk there is a linus video aswell.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yep it will be fine. Most move streaming will use about 50mbit/s, so very little.

Just give both ports an ip, its pretty simple. They will both work at once. Lots of guides. I thnk there is a linus video aswell.

ok awesome 
I will do that

what about this you think its faster compared to the amd nas ?
it might save me from even buying a gigabit switch as i can use the extra ports on it (will it act as a switch xD ? ) if its faster than the amd one I will buy it coz its cheaper and I think Qnap Sfp+ card cost the same as RJ45 
XD but again maybe the fibre cable cost me the difference ?

Qnap TS-932X
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVLSCSV/ref=psdc_13436301_t2_B07CVLSCSJ

3 minutes ago, 1988fido said:

ok awesome 
I will do that

what about this you think its faster compared to the amd nas ?
it might save me from even buying a gigabit switch as i can use the extra ports on it (will it act as a switch xD ? ) if its faster than the amd one I will buy it coz its cheaper and I think Qnap Sfp+ card cost the same as RJ45 
xD but again maybe the fibre cable cost me the difference ?

Qnap TS-932X
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVLSCSV/ref=psdc_13436301_t2_B07CVLSCSJ

That arm nas should be faster, id get that instead.

You can also get sfp+ cards much cheaper. Here is a card and cable https://www.ebay.com/itm/MNPA19-XTR-10GB-MELLANOX-CONNECTX-2-PCIe-X8-10Gbe-SFP-NETWORK-CARD-W-CABLE/282378633999?hash=item41bf14030f:g:rX4AAOSwiqJbbLD~

28 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That arm nas should be faster, id get that instead.

You can also get sfp+ cards much cheaper. Here is a card and cable https://www.ebay.com/itm/MNPA19-XTR-10GB-MELLANOX-CONNECTX-2-PCIe-X8-10Gbe-SFP-NETWORK-CARD-W-CABLE/282378633999?hash=item41bf14030f:g:rX4AAOSwiqJbbLD~

the SFP DAC cable
in my research there are many types and some are not compatible with other stuff

so that nas have  sfp+ port on it but how you know which cable will work with it?
i found that there is different sizes wave lengths etc.. but couldn't understand 

Just now, 1988fido said:

the SFP DAC cable

Thats a direct attache copper cable, you just connect one end to your pc and the other to the nas.

Ebay is your friend here.