AT M40x VS M50x

Lsat0902

I recently acquired a pair of Audio Technica M40X headphones. I like them, but I find that they don't get very loud, and the bass ( while good) is not a heavy as I am used to ( keep in mind that I am coming off a pair of Razer Kracken Pros 1st gen. I was also considering going for the M50x's as they are supposed to have heavyer bass, but they are quite a bit more pricy. Any suggestions?

M50X is awful. Only good headphone in that lineup is the M40X. You need to get the Brainwavz angled pads in pleather for them to reach their full potential, that really brings up the low end.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

M50X is awful. Only good headphone in that lineup is the M40X. You need to get the Brainwavz angled pads in pleather for them to reach their full potential, that really brings up the low end.

How much do they cost? and how do pads help with bass? I though it would be a driver change problem?

4 minutes ago, Lsat0902 said:

How much do they cost? and how do pads help with bass? I though it would be a driver change problem?

Pads massively change the sound of headphones. Everything from the shape, material, placement, thickness, space of the hole, and more. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_yNOLBb340A5M3

M50X is absolutely awful. No sound stage, no imaging, no detail reproduction, treble that is absolute murder it’s so sharp. M50Xs are only popular from tech youtubers who don’t know anything about headphones who recommended them. Actual audiophile people know that they are absolutely horrendous.

Okay there are some haters on the M50x whether that is well deserved or just people getting angry over headphones for no good reason is oft debated, the main advantages that the M50x presents over the M40x is an improved frame, and for those who like bass an increased focus on the baseline, now this does partially ruin the level response that is required for  studio monitor headphones, but there level curve is still better than most headphones. But overall new headphones are likely not the issue, it may be that your setup is incapable of pushing enough power (though this is unlikely due to the fact that most devices are capable of powering headsets with up to 35 ohms of resistance, and this headset is rated at 35 ohms),  or it may simply be that you are not used to a headset with such a level response curve.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, IFPMaximus34 said:

Creative Aurvana Live better than both in sound and cheaper.

It’s a shame that it comes with a flimsy thin non removable cable that breaks if you look at it the wrong way. If I bought those they wouldn’t last more than 3 months.

Christ on a cracker. I’ve been away from the forums since June (being a gentleman forester up at the woodlot). The Audio Technica M50x can still instill strong opinions (in their stock form... modding them makes them aurally palatable [?]).  I use an external headphone amplifier so anaemic performance isn’t an issue.  Meh, my Sony MDR7510 are my prefered butt-ugly, at-home, closed back headphones. I’m also lucky, my home’s quiet enough that I can go open-backed (and enjoy my Sennheiser HD650 clones [HD6xx]). 

@Lsat0902 ... let us know what you decide eventually. You’ve checked this site’s sticky posts about headphones, eh?  The link. The pull-down menu for $100-300 USD has some dandy suggestions (I picked up the HD6xx because of this post, no regrets)... even some suggested Audio Technica models!

23 hours ago, Lsat0902 said:

I recently acquired a pair of Audio Technica M40X headphones. I like them, but I find that they don't get very loud, and the bass ( while good) is not a heavy as I am used to ( keep in mind that I am coming off a pair of Razer Kracken Pros 1st gen. I was also considering going for the M50x's as they are supposed to have heavyer bass, but they are quite a bit more pricy. Any suggestions?

ATH M40X.I recently got these with the Brainwavz angled ear pads. I read tons of reviews before buying and many people in this forum recommended it. The angled ear pads do make it slightly bulkier but they sound way better and more comfortable with those. The stock earpads are decent but compared to these they feel like hard plastic. The M50X aren't worth the extra bucks even for bassheads as you lose tons of detail. And the M40X get loud enough on my laptop, HP Envy x360 and even 20 or 30 is enough volume even 50 is crazy. At 100% volume I literally take off my headphones and use them as speakers. I think this laptop has a very good internal DAC. However on phones and tablets especially budget ones they don't sound as loud. I think a portable DAC would solve it but at max volume its still perfectly fine.

23 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

23 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Pads massively change the sound of headphones. Everything from the shape, material, placement, thickness, space of the hole, and more. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_yNOLBb340A5M3

M50X is absolutely awful. No sound stage, no imaging, no detail reproduction, treble that is absolute murder it’s so sharp. M50Xs are only popular from tech youtubers who don’t know anything about headphones who recommended them. Actual audiophile people know that they are absolutely horrendous.

Completely agree. You could literally copy and paste these posts for anyone who asks for a sub 200$ wired headphone. That's how good they are.

However one thing to note. The angled ear pads slightly crush the frame of my spectacles but not as much as other headphones I have used.

I don’t think you can trust the internet completely when it comes to headphones. 7 or 8 years ago the ATH M50 was the most recommended headphone with glowing reviews. You’d be crazy to criticize them. Ever since the M40x got released people started hating on the M50x with a fiery passion. And I honestly don’t think that the M50 is as bad as people make it seem. It’s certainly not even worth half its price. There just are better options. Heck the 30€ or $50 AKG K92 gives the M50 a run for its money. And nobody cares. 

IMHO, the headphones that deserve hate are stupidly tuned headphones with hollow mids and screaming treble. Here are some: 

- Superlux HD 681

- Ultrasone HFI-680

- KZ ZS5/ZS6/ED9

• 4 weeks later...