AMD are rumoured to be looking to amend the Wafer Supply Agreement again after GloFo drop out of the 7nm race

Master Disaster

Let's start at the beginning, as most of you know Global Foundries used to owned by, and run as a part of, AMD however they decided to split into separate companies during AMDs excavator years while the company was facing financial difficulties.

As a result of the split a legally binding agreement was made between AMD & GloFo called the Wafer Supply Agreement (WSA) which governs the relationship between the 2 separate entities.

This is a very big deal. To understand how big of a deal this is, we first need to look at the 6th amendment to the WSA and the conditions it had set for AMD. To those who don’t know, the WSA (or the Wafer Supply Agreement) is the document that dictates the design-manufacturer relationship between GlobalFoundries and AMD. As some of you may know, GloFo used to be part of AMD before the latter spun it off into a separate entity.

The split happened in 2009 while AMD were in a pretty dire financial situation, at the time it made no sense for AMD to hold onto an expensive RnD branch however even after the split the WSA essentially tied AMD into only buying wafers from GloFo or face financial penalties.

This was done due to the fact that the foundry business was starting to hurt in terms to an increasingly cash-strapped AMD and it did not make sense at the time to retain such an R&D intensive branch. Ironically, even though the company was spun off, AMD was still bound to purchase a ‘quota’ of wafers from the company every year and could not reach out to other pure-play foundries without heavy penalties.

When Lisa Su took over at AMD she renegotiated the WSA and added what was termed as the 6th amendment which gave AMD more freedom to buy wafer from other foundries without as much penalty.

Lisa Su entered the scene and renegotiated the terms of the WSA with GloFo to introduce the 6th amendment to the scene. This gave AMD massive amounts of freedom to outsource its GPU and CPU ambitions to other pureplay foundries and is one of the reasons Zen has flourished. But all of this came at a cost. It is here that I will start to get into specifics.

Under the WSA AMD basically buys wafer from GloFo or they face being penalised, possibly twice if the annual quota isn't met which is why AMD are looking to renegotiate.

Assume AMD wants to fabricate a single wafer. It will have the following two choices:

Go with GloFo:

• Simply pay the cost of the lone wafer
  • 1 Wafer deducted from annual wafer quota (This is good for AMD)

Go with TSMC/Samsung:

• Pay the cost of the lone wafer
  • Pay a relatively small penalty to GloFo for each wafer produced at TSMC/Samsung. This will be included in the annual wafer quota calculations.
  • If the annual wafer quota is not met, then pay a penalty on a fraction of the difference too.

The leverage AMD now has to renegotiate comes from the fact the agreement states that GloFo will continue node shrinking and AMD will continue to buy reduced node size wafers. Now GloFo has dropped out of 7nm they've effectively broken the terms of the WSA leaving AMD the power to renegotiate.

So as you can see, fabricating a wafer at any other foundry than GloFo is basically double jeopardy for AMD. Simply put, these were/are shackles that still bind the company to its former whole. All of that, however, might change with GlobalFoundries officially dropping out of the race and materially changing the nature of their relationship with AMD. See, the understanding between both companies was that GlobalFoundries will continue to churn out new process nodes and AMD will keep buying – with the former no longer happening the latter can now be, well, amended.

While the specifics of the amendment haven't been given its important to note that AMD aren't looking to penalise GloFo here. The anonymous source has stated the new terms will be mutually beneficial but should allow AMD freedom to buy more wafer from other sources without such severe penalties.

I have been told that AMD is certain they will agree to the new terms that are “mutually beneficial” to both parties. Keep in mind, my source did not actually state that the terms would benefit AMD, just that they would be ‘mutually beneficial’ and they are fairly confident GloFo will agree to them. This implies that we are probably looking at increased leniency (in the annual wafer quota) and even better terms for the company.

This is also a good indication that AMD are preparing for 2020 when the WSA ends and AMD become effectively fabless. It obviously makes sense for AMD to build good relationships with other fabs as early as possible.

More cash freed up from the WSA means more money it can put into R&D or just about anywhere else. Not only this, but its also a reminder that the WSA has a limited lifespan and it will start to wind up in 2020. This is the first sign of AMD transitioning to a truly fabless entity and probably the only silver lining to come out of GloFo dropping out of the nm race. It goes without saying that there is also the very slim (but non-zero) chance that GloFo manages to increase AMD’s burden with the 7th amendment instead of alleviating it, but I would think that unlikely.

https://wccftech.com/amd-is-negotiating-a-7th-amendment-to-the-wsa-wafer-supply-agreement/

Very interesting stuff. Obviously from AMDs POV if GloFo aren't meeting the agreement then a renegotiation is essential but I'm more interested in what happens after 2020. We already know Vega 20 will be 7nm based so does this mean we will see Samsung being the only supplier of AMD GPU wafers? What will AMD do after 2020?

Interesting times ahead.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Really nice article until I saw WCCFTech as a source. Other WCCFTech articles include; When Pigs Fly; Cow Jumps Over Moon, Toms Hardware's Chief Editor Best PR.

Hard to tale seriously but looking good for AMD

What I understood (before this thread) is that the cost for AMD per 7nm chip is going to go down.

As they no longer have to pay the penalty to Global Foundries for using TSMC...

The WSA agreement between AMD and GloFo really is quite tough, too much control there yet they're split. And in 2020 it's ending, also GloFo backing down on 7nm investment as well. 

So yeah 7nm chips for AMD with no penalty is really good. 

Also I wondered would AMD merge back with GloFo or something else to have it's own fab. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

The WSA agreement between AMD and GloFo really is quite tough, too much control there yet they're split. And in 2020 it's ending, also GloFo backing down on 7nm investment as well. 

So yeah 7nm chips for AMD with no penalty is really good. 

Also I wondered would AMD merge back with GloFo or something else to have it's own fab. 

It's not out of the real of possibilities but I'd figure it would be cheaper to pay some one else to fab your design than to fab it yourself. One option give you more QC over the other though.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Following the announcement to cease development of the 7nm node, the writing was pretty much on the wall regarding the wafer supply agreement. The 6th amendment in 2016, explicitly mentions technology collaboration on the 7nm node.

Seeing as the 7th amendment will be mutually beneficial (allegedly) . AMD will likely not have to pay a single cent buying 7nm from TSMC, but will in return benefit Global Foundries current 14nm in some way.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Not that surprising after they dropped 7 NM. AMD will still use them for the APUs in some system but global foundries needs to get their act together. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Not that surprising after they dropped 7 NM. AMD will still use them for the APUs in some system but global foundries needs to get their act together. 

They are. They're going for profits. It has been running red for a long time now. They've cut everything risky which 7nm and beyond would be considering the investments required, the limited capacity and difficulty competing with TSMC and Samsung.

18 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Cow Jumps Over Moon,

Just because WCCF tech knew of sekrit Russian experiment slingshotting cow around moon is no reason to get snippy. Also North Korean experiment attempting to genetically engineer flying attack pigs. The Tom's Hardware article was a hack by Chinese agents attempting to besmirch their good name.