Power Supply Calculator High Combined Power

SufianDiraneyya

Hi, this is my first post ever! I'm searching for a power supply for a new PC that I'm building, and I'm using OuterVision's Power Supply Calculator. But whatever I tweak it gives me an enormous high (over 115w) max. combined power (3.3V + 5V (W)). This makes me chose Corsair over EVGA for the high combined power, a power supply like the Corsair RM850x V2 has a very high one at 150w, and tom's hardware comments: "The minor rails are overkill by today's standards, given their 150W maximum combined power.". I don't know if I need this much of a combined power, Help me with that guys.

image.png

Don't use PSU calculators, they are crap and overestimate by a ton. With a 1050 Ti system, you'll draw well under 200W on 12V with most tasks, and as near as makes no difference nothing on the minor rails. 

:)

From the picture it shows that your Load Wattage is 430W.

550w-650w is more than good enough for you.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

That PC will have lots of work in even reaching 200W power draw in games.

Games won't load all cores of CPU and 1050 Tis are sub-75W cards.

550W PSU would power easily three such graphics cards.

1 minute ago, EsaT said:

That PC will have lots of work in even reaching 200W power draw in games.

Games won't load all cores of CPU and 1050 Tis are sub-75W cards.

550W PSU would power easily three such graphics cards.

With 64GB RAM and that storage configuration, I'm doubtful that it's for gaming. 

:)

Keep in mind that usually psu work most efficiently at ±50% load. While it's true that 200watt is plenty but to get the most efficient power usage you need a psu above 200 watt rating. My suggestion is 250-300 watt is your target.

Edited by Tibon
Typo

1 hour ago, Tibon said:

Keep in mind that usually psu work most efficiently at ±50% load

It's not, it's closer to the rated capacity than half capacity, but that's how PSU's are marketed, so it makes people buy higher wattage PSUs.

1 hour ago, Tibon said:

While it's true that 200watt is plenty but to get the most efficient power usage you need a psu above 200 watt rating. My suggestion is 250-300 watt is your target.

Anything less than 400W are usually shit, or are from a prebuilt HP or Dell workstation, so either way it's not ideal.

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It's not, it's closer to the rated capacity than half capacity, but that's how PSU's are marketed, so it makes people buy higher wattage PSUs.

Anything less than 400W are usually shit, or are from a prebuilt HP or Dell workstation, so either way it's not ideal.

I could be wrong, but i say it's closer to ±50% is because usually the 80+ website display the efficiency at 10% 20% 50% 100% load and i rarely look into the curve detail since from my experience ( mostly with seasonic psu) it's most efficient at ±50% load.

https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=60&type=1

Just now, Tibon said:

I could be wrong, but i say it's closer to ±50% is because usually the 80+ website display the efficiency at 10% 20% 50% 100% load and i rarely look into the curve detail since from my experience ( mostly with seasonic psu) it's most efficient at ±50% load.

I know how 80plus rating is measured, but that doesn't give a good representation of efficiency curve (Just 50% is usually more efficient than 100% and 20%), since it only checks 20%, 50% and 100%, and nothing inbetween.

6 minutes ago, Tibon said:

There's no "efficiency curve" that's standard for all PSUs. Different PSUs handle more or less efficiently. Since Ecova's testing is done at specified loads of 20, 50, and 100%, most people see that the unit is most efficient at 50% versus the other tests and assume that's when all PSUs are most efficient. In reality, the electrical bill savings from having an 80 PLUS Platinum 1000W unit under 500W of load versus an 80 PLUS Bronze 500W unit at 100% load are not drastic. 

We have a thread that's pinned on the PSU/Chassis subforum and in my signature that goes over 80 PLUS.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 hours ago, SufianDiraneyya said:

Hi, this is my first post ever! I'm searching for a power supply for a new PC that I'm building, and I'm using OuterVision's Power Supply Calculator. But whatever I tweak it gives me an enormous high (over 115w) max. combined power (3.3V + 5V (W)). This makes me chose Corsair over EVGA for the high combined power, a power supply like the Corsair RM850x V2 has a very high one at 150w, and tom's hardware comments: "The minor rails are overkill by today's standards, given their 150W maximum combined power.". I don't know if I need this much of a combined power, Help me with that guys.

A 2700X and 1050 Ti, without OC, will draw around 175W. You don't need to worry too much about power draw.

If you want an RMx, then by all means you can get one, but 550W is plenty for you.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all guys, actually, I ended up with an RM850x. and I know how much of an overkill choice this is! I chose the EVGA 650 G3 first, it was priced at $90, but the 850 G3 at $99 was a better deal. The RM850x cost me $120. The one I'm building the PC for chose to went overkill for that.

1 hour ago, SufianDiraneyya said:

Thank you all guys, actually, I ended up with an RM850x. and I know how much of an overkill choice this is! I chose the EVGA 650 G3 first, it was priced at $90, but the 850 G3 at $99 was a better deal. The RM850x cost me $120. The one I'm building the PC for chose to went overkill for that.

Man, that's throwing your money away.