Is AMD a Viable Option in 2018??

Ivan M

Hi. I'm new! *waves*

One thing I would like to learn more about is choosing a CPU brand based on which company is more ethical to the consumer. Is there a winner in that respect? (Bonus points for graphics cards too)

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the affiliate/referral/sponsor link in the youtube description doesn't work.  Says: The page you requested does not exist.  Was interested in checking out the firewall program.  I went directly to their website but thought you should know the link isn't working.  (not sure where else to post this)

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 16GB Trident Z RGB @ 3244Mhz CL13 | Case: Phantom 820 | Storage: 250GB Samsung 960 EVO & 10TB various mechanicals  | PSU: Corsair RM1000 Platinum | CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.8Ghz | GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G w/ 580 BIOS @ 1515/2200 | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Mamba (new style) | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X & Nuance Spacial 3 towers | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Acer T232HL | Cooling: custom loop w/ 360mm Rad & Wraith Spire

HWBOT RX 580 3dmark Firestrike Submission

4 hours ago, evan140 said:

Hi. I'm new! *waves*

One thing I would like to learn more about is choosing a CPU brand based on which company is more ethical to the consumer. Is there a winner in that respect? (Bonus points for graphics cards too)

Welcome!

What do you mean by ethical to the consumer?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

4 hours ago, evan140 said:

Hi. I'm new! *waves*

both are companies that are in it for the money. both make claims about being on the consumers side. 

buy the product that suits your needs, because if you buy based of company "ethics" then you will not own anything

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Looking at the gaming graphs, If you're gaming at 1080p60 or 1440p60 then you would be just as well off saving the money and going AMD because in most cases the minimums weren't below 60FPS. If you're gaming at 4K then yes Intel is still king but this forum has been saying for years that Intel is still better for gaming but if you're on a budget or don't play at 4K or high refresh rate, then you should save the money and go AMD

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

12 hours ago, eisenklad said:
viable
ˈvʌɪəb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. capable of working successfully; feasible.
    synonyms:

workable, feasible, practicable, practical, applicable, usable, manageable, operable, operational, possible, within the bounds/realms of possibility, within reach, within reason, likely, achievable, attainable, accomplishable, realizable, reasonable, sensible, realistic, logical, useful, of use, serviceable, suitable, expedient, effective, valid, tenable

i didnt realize that Viable had to be  cost effective to the Nth degree that you cant say out right. "Yes, its Viable"

if your arent running single Threaded games like minecraft, save yourself that 60 dollars with an AMD cpu and buy a game or two. you wont lose much. i can chalk up that 20% lead is optimization. its a hard fact that game devs dont spend as much optimizing their code as adding more content/ DLCs/ fixing Bugs. So for AMD which is still catching up to Intel in market share, there less of an incentive to optimize for AMD.

StoreMi/RST isnt a feature most users look out but its an added bonus.
    Gamers might appreciate the faster load times, but at a certain point, they should have decently large enough ram instead of depending on storage solutions that has the performance benefit that is rated in micro seconds.

linus didnt say it wasnt a viable option, he just puts the facts on the table, and goes from there.

as for the reason AMD may perform not as good.. it actually in this case doesnt really matter.

if tomorrow a third GPU manufacturer appears whose hardware is mindblowingly faster for the price, but literally nothing is optimized for it, its not a good buy ;)

also, the "multicore optimization" side of games hasnt really changed much, quite simply put the amount of cores games use are still less or equal to the number of cores that we find in flagship desktop processors.

i'm still considering ryzen for my own desktop, but thats because of the insane numbercrushing performance, not for any edge in "just plain gaming". which honestly is a category where i really find AMD's concept fits in really well in general. unfortunately "just plain gaming" is still a category where anything past the 4th core is basicly sitting idle.

14 hours ago, LMG Ivan said:

In April of 2017, AMD blindsided Intel by launching brand-new Ryzen series of processors. How does second-gen Ryzen stack against the competition in 2018?

Buy AMD 2700x on Amazon: http://geni.us/HUYzs
Buy AMD 2700x on Newegg: http://geni.us/K06jM1D
Buy Intel 8700K on Amazon: http://geni.us/FT5C
Buy Intel 8700K on Newegg: http://geni.us/wtXjZR
Buy ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming on Amazon: http://geni.us/Vkqz
Buy ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming on Newegg: http://geni.us/DagCA
Buy ASUS Rog Strix Z370-F gaming on Amazon: http://geni.us/FrLvwK
Buy ASUS Rog Strix Z370-F gaming on Newegg: http://geni.us/FsWBAdF
Buy Coolermaster Hyper 212 on Amazon: http://geni.us/amim
Buy Coolermaster Hyper 212 on Newegg: http://geni.us/OPche

At 4:37..

In the result, it says Ryzen processor has slitly better performance on Adobe premiere..

As far as I know Adobe is advantagous to Intel.

Can you review your benchmark Linus?

13 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

to sum up the video, EVERYTHING, EVERYONE has been saying for the last YEAR and a half (almost) on the "New Builds" section of this forum. Ryzen for Workstations, Intel for Gaming.

*Ryzen for everything UNLESS you only ever play games on your pc.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What I took from this:
Intel = show pony
AMD = workhorse

ROI winner = AMD

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

17 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

To be fair, the "max fps!" thing isn't that massive between that and the 8700k.  Ya, you'll get more frames with the 8700k, but it's not like the difference between FX and Haswell for example.  It's a very minimal difference if anything.  If you're doing multi-tasking while gaming ya the 2700x is going to be better.  But, it matters less and less at higher resolutions.

It is fun to pull 60fps solid in Destiny 2 at 7-16% CPU usage... because D2 is optimized for lots of cores (up to 22 IIRC) it spreads the load across all 16 threads. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

14 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

now that does shift if you are both gaming and streaming from the same machine, then Ryzens higher core count helps significantly,

Its not just the higher core count, its also the memory controller that works in "Dual Single Channel". AMD called that Unganged Mode vs. the Ganged Mode on Intel.

That means that AMD can address each Channel individually.

But that's old stuff, introduced with the K10 back in 2007 or 8.

That stuff stuck with AMD for the last 10 Years and it doesn't really look like Intel adopted thigs mechanism (yet)...

And I think tek Syndicate did a video about Streaming while gaming a couple of years back with Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge, not sure about Haswell though. And in this case the performance of the Bulldozer was awesome, especially if you take price into account!!

At the time it was like 175€ (+/-25€) for the FX8350 and ~270-300€ for the i7.

I think that was the video I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

44 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And I think tek Syndicate did a video about Streaming while gaming a couple of years back with Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge, not sure about Haswell though. And in this case the performance of the Bulldozer was awesome, especially if you take price into account!!

At the time it was like 175€ (+/-25€) for the FX8350 and ~270-300€ for the i7.

I think that was the video I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

And then we had a lot of people flooding the forums about their 8350's not performing like Logans benchmarks. I'm not saying that they faked benchmarks for the sake of views via clickbait... But I'm saying that they exaggerated or cherry picked the fuck out of it.

what was the gpu?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

4 hours ago, LOST TALE said:

what was the gpu?

an earlier Radeon Card like 7970 or something like that.

And then we had a lot of people flooding the forums about their 8350's not performing like Logans benchmarks. I'm not saying that they faked benchmarks for the sake of views via clickbait... But I'm saying that they exaggerated or cherry picked the fuck out of it.

Yes, because they do the same thing people always do when buying AMD stuff: Getting the cheapest crap they can find.

Like this thing:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sZh9TW/asrock-motherboard-970pro3r20

And other cheapass boards that don't have Heatsinks and/or shitty CPU VRM and throttle the CPU because the VRMs are overheating and the User didn't read the instruction that told him to use a top flow cooler - something like a Noctua NH-C14 or so.

On 9/6/2018 at 5:45 PM, Stefan Payne said:

And other cheapass boards that don't have Heatsinks and/or shitty CPU VRM and throttle the CPU because the VRMs are overheating and the User didn't read the instruction that told him to use a top flow cooler - something like a Noctua NH-C14 or so.

Should I use my h212 evo on my MSI B450-A ?

Without overclocking

how about with overclocking?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

1 hour ago, LOST TALE said:

Should I use my h212 evo on my MSI B450-A ?

Without overclocking

Sure, why not, if you got the AM4 Upgrade kit or the AM4 compatible Mounting set.

Though I don't like that Heatsink much but its on the cheaper side, so I can forgive it...

1 hour ago, LOST TALE said:

how about with overclocking?

OC doesn't make much sense with Ryzen as they are heavily selected.

So we may be talking about something like +10% higher clockrates (10% at 3,5GHz is 350MHz) at the cost of stability and way higher power consumption...

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Sure, why not, if you got the AM4 Upgrade kit or the AM4 compatible Mounting set.

Though I don't like that Heatsink much but its on the cheaper side, so I can forgive it...

OC doesn't make much sense with Ryzen as they are heavily selected.

So we may be talking about something like +10% higher clockrates (10% at 3,5GHz is 350MHz) at the cost of stability and way higher power consumption...

lol I should of just bought a cheap mobo then for my 2600.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:34 PM, evan140 said:

Hi. I'm new! *waves*

Ok then AMD, 

Intel has pulled some illegal shit in the past. 

Intel tho is conflict free in its resources, we've heard nothing from AMD about it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

12 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Intel tho is conflict free in its resources, we've heard nothing from AMD about it.

You have to look at GF and TSMC for that.

I don't see a reason why AMD should use "Conflict Resources".

The only real difference is that AMD uses Indium, but that's mainly coming out of China, South Korea, Japan and Canada...

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You have to look at GF and TSMC for that.

I don't see a reason why AMD should use "Conflict Resources".

The only real difference is that AMD uses Indium, but that's mainly coming out of China, South Korea, Japan and Canada...

no its often something that happens by accident. Most companies don't try to.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs