what is the point of bezels?

JAW96

I was wonder what is the point have the bezel on a monitor,phone, or TV, I'm assuming that companies know that we like as small of a bezel possible so that makes my guess they have some sort of purpose to them. So does anyone know the answer to this? 

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

Protection of the screen.

Interested in Business and Technology

Protection of the screen.

well companies are starting to shrink them down so I was assuming it was some sort of internal hardware thing.

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

I believe for screen protection

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

There are usually 4 points... One at each corner.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

It helps protect the screen from shipping damage. If you never needed to ship the screen you would never need a bezel. The shrinking of bezels is most likely due to improvements in materials and an increase in the durability of the screens themselves.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Perhaps for aesthetic value?

I have a Galaxy S4 and i think the Silver bezel looks very nice.

All of the above are accurate. Personally I wouldn't mind a display with a thin bezel but a display with NO bezel is out of the question, simply because if you drop it there is nothing protecting the screen from taking a direct hit.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

well companies are starting to shrink them down so I was assuming it was some sort of internal hardware thing.

They can shrink them because they keep coming up with better ways to build them so they can make them thinner yet still provide the same functionality.  That is what engineers do.  It doesn't mean bezels don't have a purpose though, we're just coming up with better ways of designing them.

sometimes the bezel is needed for other things. For example on the tablet with digitize pen, the bezel allows an extension of the digitizer to better track the pen on corners... which is usually an issue with technologies like Wacom's (other technologies like N-Trig which does not have this problem have other downsides, which does not make it a better choice). Also, it's to give you room to hold the the device without having to cover any viewable area or interact with the system.