Your Thoughts on Piracy.

MalenskiiPC

I won't download music and the like illegally because the musicians deserve their cut and quality is a big thing to me. I will download software illegally to check it would work for what I want but if I'm going to use it long term then I'll buy it. Yes, my master collection of CS6 is legitimate.

In general, for music, I use Spotify. For movies, I usually go to the movies. Where games are concerned, I often download them to try and buy them if I enjoy them. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is an example of a game I downloaded, played for five minutes and didn't buy, mainly because it's pretty much Baldur's Gate with EasyTutu pre-installed.

I think that piracy at any level is wrong. The people who created the work that you are using think the time they spent creating it is worth something. Even if you don't agree with the price, that doesn't make piracy right at all. Just because a jug of milk at the store costs $4 doesn't give you the right to steal it.

music: I'll buy it, unless I can't find the cd for sale anywhere or it's a ridiculous price.

Software: buy if I need it or plan to use it long term. bunch of friends told me to buy AOE3, I downloaded it, played 1 round, and deleted it. Glad I didn't spend $20 on it.

TV, I figure I can record through VHS/DVD/DVR, I'm just saving a little time by downloading it.

Movies kind of go with TV.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Well I rip my blu ray when the movie is awsome but i had paid for the rent. I pay for the programs to motivate developers, i buy games when i see a offer if is to expensive i downloaded from another place... illegally, I feel good buying my Kaspersky Key.

The two areas I think it's perfectly legitimate in is if a tv show isn't available in your country or testing out games/software as long as you have the intention of purchasing it.

I like the way things are now, the majority of things I'll stream off an on demand service, or use steam/origin for games, I don't mind paying for quality entertainment at all. I'd say I spend more now than I ever did before

Since more companies are selling online, people are less likely to pirate it (you still get some) BBC did a report that proved music piracy doesn't effect the music industry, but thats in the UK I buy things from steam, DJ download and music from second hand stores (vinyl/CD's) actually how I stay ahead of other DJ's. I've listened to loads of DJ's that just torrent, usually Beat Port top 100 tracks or something and they all sound the same generic, which is something you don't want if your DJ'ing. I would go as far as saying it mostly kids with no money that download music ect, what ever is the top teeny band is at the time. When i was a kid, I would tape it off radio, or dub some one tape or CD collection, now kids are just downloading it, we've all done it. when i started earning , i started buying and replacing my music collection with original CD's and it not that expensive to do. even now, i'll wait till a game half price before i buy it, I have patience, I don't need everything as soon as it comes out, I can wait 6 months :) when FarCry 3 half price or less, I'll buy it ;)

For games, I personally don't download games because im too lazy to go through the hunt to find the game and download it (unless some1 does it for me). Liam mentioned you can just wait til a sale. Music...streams make it worthless to buy but I do buy albums of my fav. artists (just to support them). Software...yahh thats all pirated (who hasnt pirated office).

Personally the reason I find myself buying less and less games is because I have no way of trying out the game (trail or a good quality demo) to encourage me or let me see if its a game I will play/enjoy. I'm sure a lot of other gamers will opt to download it, see if they like it, and then buy it (under the assumption your an adult thats working, kids will pirate like no tmr because their broke)

Somethings are overpriced which lead to people pirating it, which lead to overpricing it, and thus the cycle cont. (someone going to have to pay for loss of money due to piracy and thats the person buying it).

Thats just my thoughts about Piracy.

For games, I have Steam, I occasionally 'try out' games and if I like them, I buy them.

For music I use GrooveShark, so no need to do things illegally, I stream them to my phone, so I have it on the go.

For movies I don't have a good solution, there is so such thing as Netflix here, so it's there own fault.

And for software, I can get free Microsoft licences from my collage, so that is covered, I brought Adobe CS5, so I'm good for that, I often buy smaller software (like Teracopy, StartIsBack, ...) and for the rest there is often a free alternative.

Music - Generally i just watch it on youtube but im not really interested in music that much except for soundtracks of games :) .

Games - Steam, Origin, games i buy on release are only MP that i know i will play a ton but any other kind of SP il just wait for steam sale. Pirating is more of a hassle now and i believe devs should get what they deserve from making a game for a year or two but 90% of people here pirate all games which is sad :( .

Software - I have libre office instead of Microsoft office but im not going in hell to pay 200 Euros for Windows 7 and our average payment here is 250 Euros ...

Movies and Shows - Sorry but nothing is available here so if i want to watch a specific series i have to pirate it.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black