PS4 owner new to Xbox One with a question

Lonewolf33651

I just acquired a used Xbox One 1TB and am kinda wondering something. I've had a PS4 for a little over a year and a half and have always come home with a new game, put it in, and was able to immediately play it but maybe without online due to needing an update. But with the xbox I have to sit here and wait for the game to install then it makes me wait for the updates to download before it will even let me play. Only games I've tried so far is Gears of war 4 (99.87GB download for the update), Forza motorsport 5, and COD ghosts. I cant play at all until they are fully installed and completely updated. Is this normal?

8 minutes ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

I just acquired a used Xbox One 1TB and am kinda wondering something. I've had a PS4 for a little over a year and a half and have always come home with a new game, put it in, and was able to immediately play it but maybe without online due to needing an update. But with the xbox I have to sit here and wait for the game to install then it makes me wait for the updates to download before it will even let me play. Only games I've tried so far is Gears of war 4 (99.87GB download for the update), Forza motorsport 5, and COD ghosts. I cant play at all until they are fully installed and completely updated. Is this normal?

Yes, this is completely normal. Though, with faster internet speed or ethernet, you may get to play these games faster.

Quote me to see your reply

PC Specs: Case - NZXT H500i (Black) | Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RX 580 (8GB) | Memory - G.Skill Trident Z 8GB (3000MHz, RGB) | SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | PSU - EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W | CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports Edition

Yes although some games may let you play e.g the offline campaign after a certain amount of the game is installed.

I hope that I was able to help 🙂

That's weird.

And with the games mentioned, the Online Download version seems to make more sense because you could play those on PC...

I don't know how it works with the BD in the Box but I doubt that would work, does it?

Can someone clarify?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

From my experience it's pretty typical that the game will install first before allowing you to play it.  I think it's to avoid the slow loading times of the optical drive.  But it needing to be fully installed before playing is new to me (maybe this varies by game).  Usually once the game has installed enough it's usually playable but with slower loading times.

41 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

From my experience it's pretty typical that the game will install first before allowing you to play it.  I think it's to avoid the slow loading times of the optical drive.  But it needing to be fully installed before playing is new to me (maybe this varies by game).  Usually once the game has installed enough it's usually playable but with slower loading times.

Yes, some games let you play when it's about half-way installed, but certain features are limited until it is fully installed

Quote me to see your reply

PC Specs: Case - NZXT H500i (Black) | Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RX 580 (8GB) | Memory - G.Skill Trident Z 8GB (3000MHz, RGB) | SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | PSU - EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W | CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports Edition

I'm not clear on it myself, as I've only had to deal with it a few times. I don't have much physical XBO games. It seems faster if you go offline so that it only installs from disc. If you're online, I'm not sure why they don't let you play while it installs the patch stuff. Not sure if that has changed. Depending on the game, you'll be able to start after a certain % is done, but you may be restricted in what you can do until more of the install completes. I can't think of a XBO example on the top of my head, but it probably happens on FFXV like it does on PS4 where you can only play the tutorial until the install is more complete. But yeah, I agree, the PS4 seems faster with the initial install that lets you boot the game. It does, however, keep installing from the disc in the background without any progress bar. This is more obvious when you're reinstalling a game and trying to load a late game save. You may not be able to do it until the disc install is done and annoyingly you have no ETA on that since they don't make it visible.

This is weird considering every game I've used on PS4 needs an install before play, and Xbox was pushing the fact that it "optimizes" installs so you can play while installing.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 8/31/2018 at 9:40 AM, Stefan Payne said:

That's weird.

And with the games mentioned, the Online Download version seems to make more sense because you could play those on PC...

I don't know how it works with the BD in the Box but I doubt that would work, does it?

Can someone clarify?

In the late 90s and early 2000, one method of DRM was requiring the disk to be in the PC at the same time. This could be 1 reason. 

Secondly, installing the game & having it read from both the DVD & HDD allows for faster loading as the game is being read from 2 locations.