Calling M.2 owners - Speed curiosity

LambdaCat

Does anyone have any anecdotes or things to say about the boot speed of win10 on an NVMeM.2 compared to a regular SSD?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X 4.4GHz | GPU: RTX 3070 FE | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 4x8GB 3600MHz DDR4 | MoBo: ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII  | Case: Corsair 5000D AF CPU cooler: Corsair H150i CapellixPSU: Corsair RM850x |

first of all there are many types of M.2, some are the same speed as your average sata SSD and then there are NVMe M.2 which also vary in speed a lot depending on the one you get.

My desktop uses normal sata SSD, but my laptop uses a NVMe. My laptop is faster at opening big programs and such and the boot is a bit faster nothing special. Those are the only areas I have noticed a difference.

I personally wouldn't get a NVMe just for boot.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

if its a sata m.2 I wouldn't say its noticeable. PCIe, without a doubt is way faster. I got a laptop recently, and didn't realize it came with a pcie m.2, it was just so much faster than my desktop booting into windows, and launching windows anything. I had installed windows on a Samsung 840 on my desktop, and it was slowing me down, I recently just reinstalled windows onto my pcie m.2 on my desktop and I regret not doing it when I bought it a year ago lol

43 minutes ago, LambdaCat said:

Does anyone have any anecdotes or things to say about the boot speed of win10 on an NVMeM.2 compared to a regular SSD?

Its basicaly the same.

NVME is barely any faster than SATA SSD in anything other than sequential speeds where the NVME dominates (moving large files, 20GB+).