Failed Hdd

Anyone have success with rebuilding a HDD? I have a donor drive and the will to win, but not sure what all I should look out for...????

Depends on which part has failed. If you've crashed your head you won't be able to recover. Additionally don't actually open the drive or it's definitely fucked. There's a reason it requires a very expensive clean room. Assuming it's just the controller board that has died, just keep a steady hand.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

The platters are spinning. I think it is engagement of the heads. PCB looks kinda rough, and I will swap those first. I just wanted to see if any has had success in changing heads/head motors to get the drive copy ready.... 

6 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Depends on which part has failed. If you've crashed your head you won't be able to recover. Additionally don't actually open the drive or it's definitely fucked. There's a reason it requires a very expensive clean room. Assuming it's just the controller board that has died, just keep a steady hand.

I once pulled apart a drive, soldered a broken wire on a head, and got all the information off it. No clean room.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

33 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I once pulled apart a drive, soldered a broken wire on a head, and got all the information off it. No clean room.

You're risking getting dust in there that's going to cause a TON of read issues. Older hard drives from the 90s and 00s weren't too bad but anything semi-modern is going to be easily screwed up. See below:

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor