Can't access files from a HDD that turned dynamic.

Cyberspirit
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, Cyberspirit said:

I have permissions for everything but, the OS still says that my old account owns everything so, I can't actually open edit or copy anything.

Here's a picture:

Hide contents

1R27SKi.png

I am the Administrator and, I can change owners permissions and all that but, even after removing the old account I still get denied.

change the owner at the top, and make it recursive to it applys to all sub folders.

Hey, so I have bit of a problem here. Basically, somehow my Backups drive turned itself into dynamic and, now I don't have permission to access most of my stuff.

I have most of the important stuff backed up to a cloud but, not all of it so I need some help here. 

I looked around online and, tried removing inheriting permissions but, it doesn't seem to work? Even after a restart, I don't get the option to copy or open files.

UPDATE: Okay seems like the situation is much much worse than I initially thought. I lost access to both my Drives and, I can't access almost anything. How the hell can this kind of bs happen?

My Drives weren't encrypted or anything so why is it that I can't access my own stuff?

Everywhere I look online it's always the same copy paste answer from Microsoft but it doesn't work. 

Edited by Cyberspirit
Updated

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Hey that literally just happened to me today. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread so I can find out as well.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Hey that literally just happened to me today. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread so I can find out as well.

Wish you good luck. Here's a guide I found on Microsoft's forums but it didn't work for me:

Here you go

21 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Any luck on your side? I still don't have access to my stuff. I'll contact Microsoft tomorrow and hope for the best.

9 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Any luck on your side? I still don't have access to my stuff. I'll contact Microsoft tomorrow and hope for the best.

I'm sort of idling on the process because I'm pretty busy

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

22 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Hey, so I have bit of a problem here. Basically, somehow my Backups drive turned itself into dynamic and, now I don't have permission to access most of my stuff.

I have most of the important stuff backed up to a cloud but, not all of it so I need some help here. 

I looked around online and, tried removing inheriting permissions but, it doesn't seem to work? Even after a restart, I don't get the option to copy or open files.

UPDATE: Okay seems like the situation is much much worse than I initially thought. I lost access to both my Drives and, I can't access almost anything. How the hell can this kind of bs happen?

My Drives weren't encrypted or anything so why is it that I can't access my own stuff?

Everywhere I look online it's always the same copy paste answer from Microsoft but it doesn't work. 

Screenshot of disk management?

Is the drive mounted?

How much do you care about the data?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Screenshot of disk management?

Is the drive mounted?

How much do you care about the data?

Here's a screenshot:

Spoiler

lHQuXf5.png

Yes, it is mounted and luckily all the family stuff is backed up on a cloud so those are safe but, the data on my D drive is not so I'd like to get those sorted out.

20 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Yes, it is mounted and luckily all the family stuff is backed up on a cloud so those are safe but, the data on my D drive is not so I'd like to get those sorted out.

What does explorer look like? Change you change permissions?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What does explorer look like? Change you change permissions?

I have permissions for everything but, the OS still says that my old account owns everything so, I can't actually open edit or copy anything.

Here's a picture:

Spoiler

1R27SKi.png

I am the Administrator and, I can change owners permissions and all that but, even after removing the old account I still get denied.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

Here's a picture:

Hide contents

1R27SKi.png

change the owner at the top, and make it recursive to it applys to all sub folders.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Who should I change it to? Just Admin?

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

change it to your acoount

Thanks for the help. It worked! <3

Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future?

8 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Thanks for the help. It worked! <3

Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future?

IDK how this happened. Seems like a windows error, user error, or bad software.

Keep good backups in future. Errors like this will happen

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

IDK how this happened. Seems like a windows error, user error, or bad software.

Keep good backups in future. Errors like this will happen

I think the problem was that before I reinstalled Windows I unplugged my Drives to keep my stuff safe but, that could have backfired on me and Windows couldn't transfer the permissions right.

20 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I think the problem was that before I reinstalled Windows I unplugged my Drives to keep my stuff safe but, that could have backfired on me and Windows couldn't transfer the permissions right.

Yea permissions are tied to the user account id, and that is reset with every reinstall.

56 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea permissions are tied to the user account id, and that is reset with every reinstall.

Alright, that's good to know. I think I'll get an external HDD and just keep the most important stuff on there.

Thanks for the help once again. :)

Hope it helps @fasauceome as well.