RAID 5 with different drives

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

In RAID5 there is no dedicated parity disk. Following your logic and how it really works every disk in the array is the parity disk. There IS a RAID level that uses one physical disk as the parity. I can't recall if it's JBOD or RAID2,3, or 4.

I'm not 100% sure on this but so long as they're the same capacity, same RPM, and have the same level of cache they should work OK together.

If one is 5400RPM w/ 64MB cache but the others are 7200RPM w/ 128MB or 256MB I THINK it can still work but your performance will be bottle-necked by the slowest drive (don't quote me on that Electronics Wizardry would probably have a more accurate answer for you).

Hello,

At home I have a 6TB WD red drive. I assume the performance is lower due to less cache and less RPM and therefore my question, is it possible to setup RAID 5 with the drive I have and two seagate ironwolf 6TB drives without loosing speed? (Maybe setting the WD drive as the parity drive)

i7 8700K CPU | Gigabyte 1080 TI Turbo Graphics Card | Asus Z370-A Motherboard | 2 x 16GB Vengeance LPX Memory |  Samsung 1TB 970 Pro SSD | WD Red 6TB & WD Green 3TB HDDs | Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2 Case | EK Monoblock + Bykski Graphics card Waterblocks EK 420 PE + 420 CE Radiators | 6 EK Furious Vardar EVO 140 BB Fans |  Enermax Neochanger 200ml Reservoir & pump

In RAID5 there is no dedicated parity disk. Following your logic and how it really works every disk in the array is the parity disk. There IS a RAID level that uses one physical disk as the parity. I can't recall if it's JBOD or RAID2,3, or 4.

I'm not 100% sure on this but so long as they're the same capacity, same RPM, and have the same level of cache they should work OK together.

If one is 5400RPM w/ 64MB cache but the others are 7200RPM w/ 128MB or 256MB I THINK it can still work but your performance will be bottle-necked by the slowest drive (don't quote me on that Electronics Wizardry would probably have a more accurate answer for you).