1080 Possible price drop? I need help

Go to solution Solved by AdmiralKird,
1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Yeah if there is enough demand and supply for the new cards, I could see a small price drop to $700 or $750, but in most applications the 1080 ti appears to perform in a superior manner to the 2070 so I don't see the price of the 1080 ti dropping to anything below $700, Otherwise it would start to impact the sales of the 2070, also I see Nvidia as trying to get every cent out of their investment into the 10 series at the beginning of the year due to calls from the gaming and mining community for more cards.  Though, we may also see a price increase, if their is enough demand for the 20 series and not enough supply, we also are entering the mining season, which could lead to a shortage of all the cards 10 series or 20 series, though due to current mining tech we would likely see the 10 series selling out way before the 20 series in such a scenario. Any who the 10 series is still quite relevant and if there are going to be any price drops they are going to be minor, though that may change as the cards age. But once again this is all speculation.

The mining season isn't going to be what it was in the past. Mining is all about generating coin that's turned into actual money by taking it from the vulnerable who purchase coin with real cash. Most of those average consumers looking for a quick buck have wisened after last year so there's not going to be the same market. If there isn't the same amount of money for miners to make it won't move graphics cards off the shelves.

Coupled with this, 1080 TI's have been dropping in the used market by $17 average every week for the past 2 months, and $10 for 1070 Ti's and 1080's. Eventually that trend will start to shrink but we're looking at a used market of 1080 Ti's at $250 (sustained drop) to $350 (compensated) by the start of December and $150-$200 for 1070Ti/1080's. The new market can't bear 1080 Ti's at $700-750 vs $250-350 Used. There will have to be a price drop to compensate for that gap.

Nvidia has no way around the surplus of high end graphics cards in the market with no owners except by encouraging consumers to look past these cards for real time ray tracing.

Hello with the announcement of the RTX 2080, 2080ti and, 2070ti do you think that next month the asus rog strix 1080 price will drop with the release of the 2080? Is this a trend when new GPUs get released? I’m new to building PCs thanks for th help :-)

The price already dropped.
But it might go lower because currently people wanted to see how much of an improvements the new ones are going to be because there's no 3rd party reviewers reviewing it yet.
If the performance is much more significant than the 10series, the price might drop.

If the performance is more or less the same as the 10series, the price might stay the same.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

46 minutes ago, AidanO205 said:

Hello with the announcement of the RTX 2080, 2080ti and, 2070ti do you think that next month the asus rog strix 1080 price will drop with the release of the 2080? Is this a trend when new GPUs get released? I’m new to building PCs thanks for th help :-)

I wouldn't hold my breath, Nvidia has priced the 20 series way to high for there to be enough demand for the new cards for that to occur, if anything, it appears to me that Nvidia plans to sell their overstock of the 10 series right along side the 20 series, and then maybe drop the price of the 20 series once the 10 series sells out. Of course this is all speculation, I could be very wrong.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

44 minutes ago, AidanO205 said:

Are you trying to build a new PC? If so what budget/country? And what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

If you only have a 1080p 60hz display you don't need a GTX 1080.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 hours ago, AidanO205 said:

i personally reckon if the 10 series do drop in price, maybe 10% tops, i dont see it going anywhere lower than that, thats what i think though, 20 series seem pretty up there with price as it seems like Nvidias only selling point is the "ray tracing potential" apart from that i dont see anything more special than the regular increase performance and whatnot, not like the 10 series is obsolete or anything

Well here is what you should do. Walk into best buy and kindly ask may i have 200 off a 450 gtx 1080, and i just know out of the kindess of there hearts if you asked nicely enough they will let you have it for $200 off. best of luck 

If the supply of the 20 series holds (there is no big shortage) the price will inevitably go down, especially in the used market, as people go sell their 1080s to buy the new series. (I'll probably be one of those people depending on the benchmarks) Prices in the new market should also drop eventually because of reduced demand. But there it is possible that supplies don't last  for the new series and the 20 series sky rocket in prices, until supply can meet demand, and in that case the price drop will be postponed. 

I was just about to ask this, you beat me to it with 6 hours head start. xD

I've noticed here in Europe the prices dropped like slightly since last time I checked about 1 month ago (before we knew about the RTX).

Some 1080 cards went from €600 to €580 which to be honest is kinda disappointing me because it's not that much of a difference.

I was secretly hoping they would go from €600 to like €500 or something, but to be honest I have no idea if this is a realistic thought and have no reference level for this either. So if anyone knows what we COULD expect within the coming few weeks, I would very much appreciate hearing it.

14 hours ago, ramm said:

I was just about to ask this, you beat me to it with 6 hours head start. xD

I've noticed here in Europe the prices dropped like slightly since last time I checked about 1 month ago (before we knew about the RTX).

Some 1080 cards went from €600 to €580 which to be honest is kinda disappointing me because it's not that much of a difference.

I was secretly hoping they would go from €600 to like €500 or something, but to be honest I have no idea if this is a realistic thought and have no reference level for this either. So if anyone knows what we COULD expect within the coming few weeks, I would very much appreciate hearing it.

They will probably go down more but how much depends on the benchmarks of the new 20 series and how well they sell and how well Nividea and its partners can meet demand. But what you can know for sure is that used 1080 cards will go down in price significantly (people will sell their cards to get the latest ones). But say for example that 2070s are available at 550-600 Euros and their performance equals or exceeds the 1080 (plus they are capable of DLSS and Ray Tracing), then the 1080s will have to be dropped to probably below 500 so retailers can continue to offload their stock. 

So truthfully no one knows the answer to your question, but I would recommend waiting, as it is more likely than not that prices will go down further. And I would actually wait more than a couple of weeks (maybe a couple of months) because initial GPU offerings by Nividea might run out quickly (so the 20 series cards won't be available) and they will thus have limited effect on 10 series prices initially.

21 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath, Nvidia has priced the 20 series way to high for there to be enough demand for the new cards for that to occur, if anything, it appears to me that Nvidia plans to sell their overstock of the 10 series right along side the 20 series, and then maybe drop the price of the 20 series once the 10 series sells out. Of course this is all speculation, I could be very wrong.

I agree with you completely that Nvidia probably plans to sell the 20 and 10 series alongside each other,  but I think there will be a price drop if (and this is a big IF) supply holds (ie. enough cards are supplied to meet demand just slightly above the recommended pricing), which is not what happened with the 10 series because minning inflated demand, but hey, thats gone down a bit.

I mean look at each card independently: 

RTX 2080 Ti: It has more Cuda Cores and produces more Teraflops than the frikin Titan Xp (which is being sold at 1350 Dollars on Amazon) + it of course has ray tracing and tensor cores and could be available for 1100-1300. The Titan Xp will have to go down in price to compete. 

RTX 2080: Again this has the new architecture + just slightly less Cuda Cores and Teraflops than the 1080Ti (we can guesstimate that its performance will probably at least meat the 1080Ti). The Rtx 2080 was available for preorder at 800, but if supply holds, it has an MSRP beginning from 600, so the 1080Ti will have to be brought down to say 550 to compete.

6 hours ago, A_Sid said:

They will probably go down more but how much depends on the benchmarks of the new 20 series and how well they sell and how well Nividea and its partners can meet demand. But what you can know for sure is that used 1080 cards will go down in price significantly (people will sell their cards to get the latest ones). But say for example that 2070s are available at 550-600 Euros and their performance equals or exceeds the 1080 (plus they are capable of DLSS and Ray Tracing), then the 1080s will have to be dropped to probably below 500 so retailers can continue to offload their stock. 

So truthfully no one knows the answer to your question, but I would recommend waiting, as it is more likely than not that prices will go down further. And I would actually wait more than a couple of weeks (maybe a couple of months) because initial GPU offerings by Nividea might run out quickly (so the 20 series cards won't be available) and they will thus have limited effect on 10 series prices initially.

Thanks. I bought a new 4k display 2 days ago and now I noticed my current gpu can't keep up. So I was planning to upgrade in the upcoming weeks anyway. So I guess this is good news.

It should probably be safe to upgrade 1 month after the release? Or should I wait to around Christmas? Unfortunately i'm not American so we don't have black friday deals here so i'll have to do with the normal price drops if they happen

19 hours ago, A_Sid said:

I agree with you completely that Nvidia probably plans to sell the 20 and 10 series alongside each other,  but I think there will be a price drop if (and this is a big IF) supply holds (ie. enough cards are supplied to meet demand just slightly above the recommended pricing), which is not what happened with the 10 series because minning inflated demand, but hey, thats gone down a bit.

I mean look at each card independently: 

RTX 2080 Ti: It has more Cuda Cores and produces more Teraflops than the frikin Titan Xp (which is being sold at 1350 Dollars on Amazon) + it of course has ray tracing and tensor cores and could be available for 1100-1300. The Titan Xp will have to go down in price to compete. 

RTX 2080: Again this has the new architecture + just slightly less Cuda Cores and Teraflops than the 1080Ti (we can guesstimate that its performance will probably at least meat the 1080Ti). The Rtx 2080 was available for preorder at 800, but if supply holds, it has an MSRP beginning from 600, so the 1080Ti will have to be brought down to say 550 to compete.

Yeah if there is enough demand and supply for the new cards, I could see a small price drop to $700 or $750, but in most applications the 1080 ti appears to perform in a superior manner to the 2070 so I don't see the price of the 1080 ti dropping to anything below $700, Otherwise it would start to impact the sales of the 2070, also I see Nvidia as trying to get every cent out of their investment into the 10 series at the beginning of the year due to calls from the gaming and mining community for more cards.  Though, we may also see a price increase, if their is enough demand for the 20 series and not enough supply, we also are entering the mining season, which could lead to a shortage of all the cards 10 series or 20 series, though due to current mining tech we would likely see the 10 series selling out way before the 20 series in such a scenario. Any who the 10 series is still quite relevant and if there are going to be any price drops they are going to be minor, though that may change as the cards age. But once again this is all speculation.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

The mining season isn't going to be what it was in the past. Mining is all about generating coin that's turned into actual money by taking it from the vulnerable who purchase coin with real cash. Most of those average consumers looking for a quick buck have wisened after last year so there's not going to be the same market. If there isn't the same amount of money for miners to make it won't move graphics cards off the shelves.

Coupled with this, 1080 TI's have been dropping in the used market by $17 average every week for the past 2 months, and $10 for 1070 Ti's and 1080's. Eventually that trend will start to shrink but we're looking at a used market of 1080 Ti's at $250 (sustained drop) to $350 (compensated) by the start of December and $150-$200 for 1070Ti/1080's. The new market can't bear 1080 Ti's at $700-750 vs $250-350 Used. There will have to be a price drop to compensate for that gap.

Nvidia has no way around the surplus of high end graphics cards in the market with no owners except by encouraging consumers to look past these cards for real time ray tracing.

2 minutes ago, AdmiralKyrd said:

The mining season isn't going to be what it was in the past. Mining is all about generating coin that's turned into actual money by taking it from the vulnerable who purchase coin with real cash. 

Not necessarily, Mining is solving complicated equations that in the end form a coin, and also processing the transactions for that coin, and the people whom invested into are not necessarily vulnerable, sure some people were dooped into it, but that does not mean that there are not perceived benefits that will not lead to another craze, because here is the thing Cryptocurrencies are as the name suggests currencies, which means that the value must be sourced from other currencies, sure that can be used to stabilize it but a currencies true worth is determined by the perceived value, and Crypto provides unique benefits, such as a decentralized currency that is difficult to regulate, thereby providing a usable method of transaction to people whom live in nation in which the currency is highly regulated, or tampered with by the government, nation such as China, and this allows peoples and companies in those nations to trade with the outside world with anonymity from those governments esp. Zcash or Zencash, whom would otherwise not value their trade due to the local currencies. 

21 minutes ago, AdmiralKyrd said:

Coupled with this, 1080 TI's have been dropping in the used market by $17 average every week for the past 2 months, and $10 for 1070 Ti's and 1080's. Eventually that trend will start to shrink but we're looking at a used market of 1080 Ti's at $250 (sustained drop) to $350 (compensated) by the start of December and $150-$200 for 1070Ti/1080's. The new market can't bear 1080 Ti's at $700-750 vs $300-400 Used. There will have to be a price drop to compensate for that gap.

Have you seen how much a 1080 ti is worth used right now? At least $500 and that is due to the fact that miners liquidating their cards from the previous season, and people prepping for the new cards, as winter approaches much of the used supply is going to dry up due to the fact that mining will become profitable again since people don't need to factor in a electricity for the computer AND the AC and also reduce heating costs with their rigs, also people will be prepping for the Christmas season by upgrading their own rigs or the rigs of their relatives, they may also be taking advantage of black Friday, and build new rigs, either way we are approaching the end of the doldrums of the year, and that is why so many manufacturers are going to be dropping new products, So I would actually expect the price of 1080ti on the used market to fall another $20 and then recover to $550 to $650 by mid December, and then fall to about $450 by February an  decrease in value at a rate of 3% to 10% per month after that. For the 1070 ti I anticipate that it's value will fall to ~$280 by the end of October and then rise to nearly $370 by mid December, and then lose value at a similar rate at the 1080 ti. For the 1080 I anticipate that price will fall to ~$330 and then increase to ~$400 by mid December, and then decrease in value at a similar rate at the 1080 ti. Now remember this is all speculation base on anticipated events, their may remain some factors that were not accounted for, which may therefore alter the value of each of these cards.

In order for parties to participate in a transaction the fee costs have to remain low to be competitive which doesn't pay more than transaction maintenance mining costs. There isn't money for miners in taking a cut of ten cents from a $10 transaction. The only real money in mining is taking it from other people who put dollars in but don't take it out. The price rise in coins has to come from somewhere, it doesn't just appear from thin air. Cryptocurrency marketing puffery doesn't affect how the system actually works.

After last Winter and Spring, miners shouldn't expect huge sums of cash going in. The price has fallen on most coins 70% since last year. If you just add more miners to a system that doesn't have an increase in the average person dumping money in it's just going to cause the miners to put a squeeze on each other for profitability and drop the price. There's no reason to expect free money going into cryptocurrencies this year.