CPU running @ ~65-70 celsius while idle

lapoda

Hello everyone. I guess I should start by giving a bit of a background story because it is important. Usually my desktop sits on my desk at home where it is air conditioned and the ambient room tempurature is about 60-65 degrees farhenheit. I just recently moved to my college dorm room where there is no air conditioning, and it is about 80 degrees farhenheit.

My CPU usually idles at around 40-45 degrees celsius and reaches up to 70 when full load gaming. I recently just had a couple windows crashes which I have never had before, so I naturally checked my CPU temps to see that they are idling at 65 degrees celsius. The thing that worries me most is even opening steam it shoots up to over 100. I have not changed a thing, I have a corsair h100i liquid cooler and an i7 4970k. In fact, I actually removed the overclock on my CPU to see if that would help and it didn't. The fans are still running and the inside temp of the case is not hot at all. Could the change in ambient temperature be causing this? My GPU temps are still fine so I highly doubt it's the change in room temp. Thanks.

t is your fans or maybe your liquid cooler ( depends how old it is ) 

also you could try to clean the dust from your AIO cooler ( will save a couple of degrees ) 

also make sure the cooling block is still nicely attached to the cpu , it could be possible that with the moving that the cooling block isnt a perfect fit anymore 

as idling at 65 degrees with AIO cooling is extreem hot

my cpu was running at 38 degrees in the summer ( about 32 degrees inside my home  ) 

now it is running at 28 degrees ( its about 18 degrees inside my home ) 

in worste case you could try to re apply thermal paste , but i doubt it will work 

for me it likely seems that your colling is failing at some point

Greets From PowerChaos

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

14 minutes ago, PowerChaos said:

t is your fans or maybe your liquid cooler ( depends how old it is ) 

also you could try to clean the dust from your AIO cooler ( will save a couple of degrees ) 

also make sure the cooling block is still nicely attached to the cpu , it could be possible that with the moving that the cooling block isnt a perfect fit anymore 

as idling at 65 degrees with AIO cooling is extreem hot

my cpu was running at 38 degrees in the summer ( about 32 degrees inside my home  ) 

now it is running at 28 degrees ( its about 18 degrees inside my home ) 

in worste case you could try to re apply thermal paste , but i doubt it will work 

for me it likely seems that your colling is failing at some point

Greets From PowerChaos

I guess I will try to reseat the cooling block. If that doesn't work I may just purchase another cooling system. Are there any that you would recommend? I've had the h100i for several years now but I would expect it to last longer than this...

12 minutes ago, lapoda said:

I guess I will try to reseat the cooling block. If that doesn't work I may just purchase another cooling system. Are there any that you would recommend? I've had the h100i for several years now but I would expect it to last longer than this...

What the hell. I took off the cooling block, blew it off, and reseated it. Temps are back to 40 celsius idle. I hope I'm not speaking too soon but it looks like just some simple troubleshooting was needed. I hope it maintains its temps!

8 minutes ago, lapoda said:

What the hell. I took off the cooling block, blew it off, and reseated it. Temps are back to 40 celsius idle. I hope I'm not speaking too soon but it looks like just some simple troubleshooting was needed. I hope it maintains its temps!

10 minutes later and the temps are back up. May just have to bite the bullet and see if another cooler will do.

i use the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB

just because it costs only 70€ ( vs 100€ for 120 ) and got some kind of RGB in it ( and because it is silent under 50% fan speed  )

but i got no idea how good this cooler keeps up with corsair 

as i only got it for about 2 months now

here is a quick review

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-master-liquid-ml240l-rgb,5345-2.html

Greets From PowerChaos

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

1 minute ago, lapoda said:

10 minutes later and the temps are back up. May just have to bite the bullet and see if another cooler will do.

it could be possible that your pump is broken ( no idea how old your AIO is )

after some time like all water cooler systems they seems to lose performance 

same for the fans , same for the pump and same for the liquid in it ( liquid start to make alges or so ? ) 

if you got a spare cooler you could try to put that one on the cpu and see if that temporary fix the problem

if it does , then you are certain it is the cooler

but at this point i am almost 100% sure it is the cooler

as nothing else could cause high temps on idle ( cooler or termal paste  ) 

in meantime as a other quick fix you could clock down your cpu

or just disable some cores , i know you lose a lot of performance then but atleast it can keep running then

on other side , if the cooler pump is broken then this wont even fix it as it will ramp up back to 100° in a few seconds

Greets From PowerChaos

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

7 minutes ago, PowerChaos said:

it could be possible that your pump is broken ( no idea how old your AIO is )

after some time like all water cooler systems they seems to lose performance 

same for the fans , same for the pump and same for the liquid in it ( liquid start to make alges or so ? ) 

if you got a spare cooler you could try to put that one on the cpu and see if that temporary fix the problem

if it does , then you are certain it is the cooler

but at this point i am almost 100% sure it is the cooler

as nothing else could cause high temps on idle ( cooler or termal paste  ) 

in meantime as a other quick fix you could clock down your cpu

or just disable some cores , i know you lose a lot of performance then but atleast it can keep running then

on other side , if the cooler pump is broken then this wont even fix it as it will ramp up back to 100° in a few seconds

Greets From PowerChaos

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and got the updated version of the cooler I currently have. I've had this cooler since 2015 so hopefully this fixes the issue. In the meantime, I will be restricting myself to youtube videos and twitch streams and those are the only things that seem to keep the temp under 80.

59 minutes ago, lapoda said:

It can take a while for the liquid to saturate with heat and cooling to stabilize. I suggest at least an hour for testing load temps. 

Are you testing using default motherboard settings?

Are you sure that the pump and fans are running?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It can take a while for the liquid to saturate with heat and cooling to stabilize. I suggest at least an hour for testing load temps. 

Are you testing using default motherboard settings?

Are you sure that the pump and fans are running?

Default motherboard settings, and both fans are running at approximately ~3100rpm. Not quite sure about the pump, that may be the issue.

Just now, lapoda said:

Default motherboard settings, and both fans are running at approximately ~3100rpm. Not quite sure about the pump, that may be the issue.

What header is the pump plugged into? Can you feel the liquid flowing through the tubing?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

29 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What header is the pump plugged into? Can you feel the liquid flowing through the tubing?

I was under the assumption that the liquid was contained within the cooling block. The radiator supplies cool air through the tubing to cool the liquid and thus the CPU... is this incorrect? No there is no liquid flowing through the tubing that I know of.

Just now, lapoda said:

I was under the assumption that the liquid was contained within the cooling block. The radiator supplies cool air through the tubing to cool the liquid and thus the CPU... is this incorrect? No there is no liquid flowing through the tubing that I know of.

After a bit of research it looks like my assumption was incorrect. The tubes are fairly hot to the touch.

Just now, lapoda said:

After a bit of research it looks like my assumption was incorrect. The tubes are fairly hot to the touch.

Liquid flowing through the tubing is why it's called liquid cooling. There's a pump in the cpu block that moves the liquid so heat can be transferred to the rad and then to the air by the fans. If the tubes are hot, that probably means the pump isn't running. Is the header plugged into power?

Can you hear the pump? It'll be a low whirring noise if it's running. Try just plugging everything in again, maybe in a different header 

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Liquid flowing through the tubing is why it's called liquid cooling. There's a pump in the cpu block that moves the liquid so heat can be transferred to the rad and then to the air by the fans. If the tubes are hot, that probably means the pump isn't running. Is the header plugged into power?

The pump itself is connected to a JUSB power port on the motherboard.

does the pump make any noise? is heat coming out of the radiator? Try turning the fans off and feeling for any sort of vibration along the tubes. To me it sounds like you might have a dead pump

39 minutes ago, lapoda said:

The pump itself is connected to a JUSB power port on the motherboard.

That cable is for Corsair Link and not powering the pump. The pump is powered with a sata power cable:

blog_how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h10

46 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

That cable is for Corsair Link and not powering the pump. The pump is powered with a sata power cable:

blog_how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h10

I do not have this. Mine is the h100i gtx. It has a cord that is plugged into my cpu_fan 2 slot, and another coming from the side that splits into two to power the two 120mm fans on the radiator. Those are also correctly plugged in. It also has the corsair link cable that you mentioned which is plugged into a JUSB slot.

2 minutes ago, lapoda said:

I do not have this. Mine is the h100i gtx. It has a cord that is plugged into my cpu_fan 2 slot, and another coming from the side that splits into two to power the two 120mm fans on the radiator. Those are also correctly plugged in. It also has the corsair link cable that you mentioned which is plugged into a JUSB slot.

Try setting the cpu_fan2 header to 100% rpm in the motherboard settings and see if the pump starts running. You can also check the rpm while doing that. 

I'm really not sure what to do here. I already ordered the h100i v2 on amazon for less than $100, so I will probably update to that once I recieve it. I unplugged and replugged all connections to new ports and I have been running full load games for 10 minutes at a max of 65 celsius while idling at around 30. I can update if something changes, but maybe that seemed to do the trick?

Just now, lapoda said:

I'm really not sure what to do here. I already ordered the h100i v2 on amazon for less than $100, so I will probably update to that once I recieve it. I unplugged and replugged all connections to new ports and I have been running full load games for 10 minutes at a max of 65 celsius while idling at around 30. I can update if something changes, but maybe that seemed to do the trick?

The h100i v2 and h100i gtx are the same cooler. It could be that the fan curve was very low on the cpu_fan2 header. You should set the pump to a static rpm with a noise level you're comfortable instead of having it ramp up and down. 

2 minutes ago, lapoda said:

I believe I have without a doubt found the issue. Originally, the pump fan was connected to CPUFAN1 port on my motherboard. Upon testing that port with three different 120mm fans, none of them spun. The port must be dead. Temps are back to normal now. Maybe in the process of moving it around, the port stopped working.

ok Seems a mobo problem then. 

And not the cooler in this case

I dit not think about to test out with the chassis fans xD 

anyway

be sure the fans On the radiator are also spinning and That the cpu pump is also working

else you need a other mobo 

greets from PowerChaos

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos