moving windows from hdd to ssd

sideqcktv

i have windows on a old hdd with a bunch of other programs etc. i want to move windows to a ssd but dont want the programs on the ssd anyway for me to move windows to my new ssd and keep programs on hdd

No.

Program files can't be moved around after installation.

Only for games or portable versions of programs.

Also don't clone or migrate windows, do a clean install.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No.

Program files can't be moved around after installation.

Only for games or portable versions of programs.

Also don't clone or migrate windows, do a clean install.

how do i do this i have windows 10 pro i dont want to lose any if my files some are priceless as in cant get anymore

3 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

how do i do this i have windows 10 pro i dont want to lose any if my files some are priceless as in cant get anymore

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

First remove the password on your account on the HDD.

Unplug the HDD and install windows on the SSD.

Then plug your HDD back in and you can access your files.

Programs need to be reinstalled on the SSD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

First remove the password on your account on the HDD.

Unplug the HDD and install windows on the SSD.

Then plug your HDD back in and you can access your files.

Programs need to be reinstalled on the SSD.

how do i uninstall windows on hdd? i also have 2 ssds

35 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

how do i uninstall windows on hdd? i also have 2 ssds

You need to completely wipe it.

Spoiler

Alright no one seems to know what they are talking about here

Plug your SSD into your PC and install windows onto it. once its done and at the desktop, shut it down and plug in your HDD.. Then you can take your time to take from the HDD and move it to the SSD, before you do make a copy of the program lists so you can just reinstall all your programs and know the names of them all

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

23 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Plug your SSD into your PC and install windows onto it. once its done and at the desktop, shut it down and plug in your HDD.. Then you can take your time to take from the HDD and move it to the SSD, before you do make a copy of the program lists so you can just reinstall all your programs and know the names of them all

So should I use acronis to move hdd over to ssd or should I clean install what’s the point in clean installing when it’s fine? Why not just transfer everything with acronis

1 hour ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

I fully agree (that no one seems to know what they are talking about here) except you're don't know it either.

Question was simple - move windows from hdd to ssd and leave programs on hdd, not reinstall them on ssd.

Even if it's really crappy idea (having ssd and still leave programs on hdd), question was simple.

There is lot of methods to do that, but none of them are easy to made.

After system being cloned/moved/installed on ssd, that bunch of software that leaves on HDD must be still usable. Well, most of them will works, no matter if they're installed or not. Some of them will need change registry entries (if system was cloned) or copy registry entries (if fresh install) or install again.

None of solutions will works in this case imo - this requires really experienced user to handle it proper and I feel that sideqcktv is not a pro user. So the only way for non-experienced user to switch into ssd with all programs is to clone system with these programs and forgot about not so smart idea of leaving them on hdd. Of course there is also question about free SSD space and HDD space. And there is question is sideqcktv have extra external harddrive which gives more options to made backup etc. Lot of questions, lot of solutions.

10 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I fully agree (that no one seems to know what they are talking about here) except you're don't know it either.

Question was simple - move windows from hdd to ssd and leave programs on hdd, not reinstall them on ssd.

Even if it's really crappy idea (having ssd and still leave programs on hdd), question was simple.

There is lot of methods to do that, but none of them are easy to made.

After system being cloned/moved/installed on ssd, that bunch of software that leaves on HDD must be still usable. Well, most of them will works, no matter if they're installed or not. Some of them will need change registry entries (if system was cloned) or copy registry entries (if fresh install) or install again.

None of solutions will works in this case imo - this requires really experienced user to handle it proper and I feel that sideqcktv is not a pro user. So the only way for non-experienced user to switch into ssd with all programs is to clone system with these programs and forgot about not so smart idea of leaving them on hdd. Of course there is also question about free SSD space and HDD space. And there is question is sideqcktv have extra external harddrive which gives more options to made backup etc. Lot of questions, lot of solutions.

no thats a bad idea. you cant just copy your windows files from one drive to another expecialy if its diffrent drive sizes, and just expect it to work perfectly. You have to clone it, and move it over correctly with special programs. Even then it may not work since the storage size is diffrent.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

16 minutes ago, sideqcktv said:

So should I use acronis to move hdd over to ssd or should I clean install what’s the point in clean installing when it’s fine? Why not just transfer everything with acronis

No you should clean install. The point of clean installing is 1, no junk you previously had slowing the pc, 2, ontop of the SSD being faster, the pc will be faster all together, 3, being storage sizes is diffrent, high chance it wont be compatible and wont run correctly, 4, if you port program files over like that most of the time they wont run

You need to just Go ahead and do a clean install, then copy over what you want after

8 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

No you should clean install. The point of clean installing is 1, no junk you previously had slowing the pc, 2, ontop of the SSD being faster, the pc will be faster all together, 3, being storage sizes is diffrent, high chance it wont be compatible and wont run correctly, 4, if you port program files over like that most of the time they wont run

You need to just Go ahead and do a clean install, then copy over what you want after

Do you have any videos from linus austin jay or anyone? 

Just now, sideqcktv said:

Do you have any videos from linus austin jay or anyone? 

no.. ive been an IT tech for over 25 years so im just explaining it myself

Just now, LamoidZombieDog said:

no.. ive been an IT tech for over 25 years so im just explaining it myself

if you need help you can just PM me

1 hour ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

no thats a bad idea. you cant just copy your windows files from one drive to another expecialy if its diffrent drive sizes, and just expect it to work perfectly. You have to clone it, and move it over correctly with special programs. Even then it may not work since the storage size is diffrent.

Please read my full post more carefully. Of course you need space, that's why I was write that we don't know how big is ssd, how much space is used on hdd etc.

About copying - he asking about leaving programs on HDD. That requires in some cases changes in registry (not so big in some cases, really big in others), sometimes it will works without any changes and sometimes it will be (almost) impossible.

I was talking that whole idea is bad. Clone system is the only way to keep all programs working, but a) it's not what sideqcktv is asking, b) we don't know how big is his SSD and how many used space is on his HDD.

Personally - me and you can probably solve this problem, but it's not easy solution like "do a/b/c and you're done". It may be a little more complicated if sideqcktv wants to keep working programs on HDD and move system to SSD without programs.

So maybe few questions:

1. How big is your SSD.

2. How big is your HDD and what is amount of used space on your system partition.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:15 AM, homeap5 said:

Please read my full post more carefully. Of course you need space, that's why I was write that we don't know how big is ssd, how much space is used on hdd etc.

About copying - he asking about leaving programs on HDD. That requires in some cases changes in registry (not so big in some cases, really big in others), sometimes it will works without any changes and sometimes it will be (almost) impossible.

I was talking that whole idea is bad. Clone system is the only way to keep all programs working, but a) it's not what sideqcktv is asking, b) we don't know how big is his SSD and how many used space is on his HDD.

Personally - me and you can probably solve this problem, but it's not easy solution like "do a/b/c and you're done". It may be a little more complicated if sideqcktv wants to keep working programs on HDD and move system to SSD without programs.

So maybe few questions:

1. How big is your SSD.

2. How big is your HDD and what is amount of used space on your system partition.

1tb hdd half used 500 gb ssd and 500 gb m2 ssd my hdd has windows and programs my ssd has games my m2 ssd has nothing i want windows on my m2 ssd. i just dont want to move my programs with it but there are no videos on just moving windows there are only videos on migrating windows from 2 years ago like linus and jay made videos on it but i just want to move windows as you read nothing else but no one on the internet seems to know this.

Damn, Have you heard about commas? Is really hard to understand that post.

Let's try to understand:

1. 1TB HDD - half used (so 500 GB +/- used) with system and all stuff except games

2. 500 GB SSD with some games, I assume filled to the max (or almost, nevermind)

3. 500 GB M.2 - empty

I understand that you don't want to move programs to M.2 and for some reason you want to leave them on HDD.

i also understand from what you're wrote, that you have no videos on it, except some videos. :)

I assume that you have LOT of programs, since you have no music, pictures and other private stuff, and all your games are on SSD, and still your HDD is 50% full.

Well, it will be hard to made, even extremely hard, pointless and annoying, and will have absolutely no sense, requires some knowledge, some extra programs but in fact... possible. Why not? I don't recommend made this but who cares - you want it, you get it:

0. Before proceed, check if you understand everything below. And remember that it's only my attempt to solve your puzzle, not real method, even if it may work.

1. Shrink your C: partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard as much as you can, leave only few GB. You may disable hibernation and pagefile before.

2. Create second, empty partition on the same HDD.

3. Move programs you don't want to be run from C:\ into that partition, but do not move whole directories - leave "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)", leave all Microsoft tools and folders inside, move only folders of programs that you installed by yourself.

4. Shrink your C: partition again (now you have more space for that!).
5. Install Macrium Reflect and create bootable USB (Rescue Media).

6. Boot from that bootable USB and image your whole HDD except D:\ partition (that you're created before) into your D:\ partition (another bad idea, probably slow as hell, but still - possible).

7. Restore your image into your M.2 and boot system from M.2 (with HDD unplugged for first time boot).

8. If system boots, reconnect HDD, set M.2 as bootable media and boot with all drives. Set your second HDD partition as "D:" in diskmgmt.msc and remove letter from your first HDD partition.

9. Try every program if is running from your HDD without reinstallation. If not - make junctions for every directory. How to make junction you can find somewhere on internet - it's not so hard. Trick is that your computer must still see "C:\Program Files\MyProgram" directory, but everything will be in fact on your other drive.

10. Remove old windows partition from HDD and resize second partition to whole drive using MiniTool Partition Wizard.

And this method you'll get one of the most stupidly organized operating system in the world. :)

But seriously:

0. Still you may shrink your C:\ partition and create second one if you MUST run programs from HDD, not from M.2.

1. Install win10 on your m.2 with HDD unplugged.

2. Boot from m.2 first time then connect your HDD again.

3. Check which programs just run from your HDD without reinstall and copy them to second HDD partition.

4. Install rest of programs on second HDD partition.

5. Remove your old system partition and resize your second HDD partition to whole drive.

I strongly recommend that you should have just one more drive and use it for image your current system. And then restore whole system to M.2. Or even fresh install Windows on M.2 if imaging and restoring is too difficult. Idea of having SSD or M.2 is to have fast access, programs loading times etc. Not to save space and using HDD for loading programs.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Damn, Have you heard about commas? Is really hard to understand that post.

Let's try to understand:

1. 1TB HDD - half used (so 500 GB +/- used) with system and all stuff except games

2. 500 GB SSD with some games, I assume filled to the max (or almost, nevermind)

3. 500 GB M.2 - empty

I understand that you don't want to move programs to M.2 and for some reason you want to leave them on HDD.

i also understand from what you're wrote, that you have no videos on it, except some videos. :)

I assume that you have LOT of programs, since you have no music, pictures and other private stuff, and all your games are on SSD, and still your HDD is 50% full.

Well, it will be hard to made, even extremely hard, pointless and annoying, and will have absolutely no sense, requires some knowledge, some extra programs but in fact... possible. Why not? I don't recommend made this but who cares - you want it, you get it:

0. Before proceed, check if you understand everything below. And remember that it's only my attempt to solve your puzzle, not real method, even if it may work.

1. Shrink your C: partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard as much as you can, leave only few GB. You may disable hibernation and pagefile before.

2. Create second, empty partition on the same HDD.

3. Move programs you don't want to be run from C:\ into that partition, but do not move whole directories - leave "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)", leave all Microsoft tools and folders inside, move only folders of programs that you installed by yourself.

4. Shrink your C: partition again (now you have more space for that!).
5. Install Macrium Reflect and create bootable USB (Rescue Media).

6. Boot from that bootable USB and image your whole HDD except D:\ partition (that you're created before) into your D:\ partition (another bad idea, probably slow as hell, but still - possible).

7. Restore your image into your M.2 and boot system from M.2 (with HDD unplugged for first time boot).

8. If system boots, reconnect HDD, set M.2 as bootable media and boot with all drives. Set your second HDD partition as "D:" in diskmgmt.msc and remove letter from your first HDD partition.

9. Try every program if is running from your HDD without reinstallation. If not - make junctions for every directory. How to make junction you can find somewhere on internet - it's not so hard. Trick is that your computer must still see "C:\Program Files\MyProgram" directory, but everything will be in fact on your other drive.

10. Remove old windows partition from HDD and resize second partition to whole drive using MiniTool Partition Wizard.

And this method you'll get one of the most stupidly organized operating system in the world. :)

But seriously:

0. Still you may shrink your C:\ partition and create second one if you MUST run programs from HDD, not from M.2.

1. Install win10 on your m.2 with HDD unplugged.

2. Boot from m.2 first time then connect your HDD again.

3. Check which programs just run from your HDD without reinstall and copy them to second HDD partition.

4. Install rest of programs on second HDD partition.

5. Remove your old system partition and resize your second HDD partition to whole drive.

I strongly recommend that you should have just one more drive and use it for image your current system. And then restore whole system to M.2. Or even fresh install Windows on M.2 if imaging and restoring is too difficult. Idea of having SSD or M.2 is to have fast access, programs loading times etc. Not to save space and using HDD for loading programs.

i dont understand what shrink means. plus how does this remove windows from hdd reason why i dont want to transer whole drive is because i have sony vegas photoshop dxtory fraps cinema 4d camtasia a bunch of licensed programs which can not be moved

Have you tried Macrium Reflect or EaseUS?

Granted, I'm not a fan of cloning a drive since there's no error correction involved. I'd rather back up the contents of my drive to an external HD, then reinstall Windows on the SSD and restore old files from backup afterwards.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

12 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Have you tried Macrium Reflect or EaseUS?

Granted, I'm not a fan of cloning a drive since there's no error correction involved. I'd rather back up the contents of my drive to an external HD, then reinstall Windows on the SSD and restore old files from backup afterwards.

i dont have a external

Omg, when you image your system and restore to another drive, all programs will work! And their licenses too!

I also prefer to image and restore more than cloning (even if I call both operation "cloning" for simplicity, which may confuse some), but in this case.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk

My advice is - prepare USB rescue disk first after you install Macrium Reflect, then boot from that USB stick, then clone your system. Your new M.2 will be your new "C:\" and every program will work. And, what is more important for you - you still will have system on your HDD, so it's fail-safe operation. Your amount of data on HDD MUST BE smaller than your M.2 capacity.