What the H-e-double-hockey-stick?

Go to solution Solved by newgeneral10,

idk if this will help, but here ya go

So, I was able to get my desktop computer connected to my laptop, which is good so I can game online, but my laptop runs ubuntu and usually, I like to use Steam's In-home streaming for gaming on a weaker system.  However, upon discovery, even with Steam In-Home Streaming enabled on the desktop, I can't get connected to it because the steam client installed on my other laptop spits out a message saying that there are no other computers with steam in-home streaming enabled connected to the network.

So, I decided to try and see if I can manually set my desktop from 10.42.0.12 to 192.168.0.12 so that it can be recognized aaaaand nothing.  Even on the same subnet.. nothing.

So, I reverted the changes and I was able to watch youtube on my desktop again.

And, I was able to get away with this when my laptop that's connected to my desktop was running windows 10.   Go to network manager and add the two interfaces to a bridge and BOOM.  

But with linux, it treats the bridge as though it was a router rather than as though the desktop was directly connected to the router.. so, what gives?  And what can I do to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

-.- what are you doing exactly..?

PC <-> Laptop <-> Lan?

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

On 9/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, newgeneral10 said:

Define: Static Routes?

(Also, sorry for not responding sooner.  I had to do a backup on my hard drive and boy was I glad that I did, it literally died.. the old one I mean.  wasn't detected in windows, nor linux.  And not even detected in the other programs and tools used for making partitions.  So.. yep!  Glad I made a backup.  Otherwise I would've lost 100GB worth of data/media!)

On 9/4/2018 at 9:19 PM, jde3 said:

-.- what are you doing exactly..?

PC <-> Laptop <-> Lan?

That diagram is correct.  And, honestly windows is good for many things, this is one of them.

Though, I do prefer linux just because it's lightweight and doesn't have data-mining capabilities.

*ahem*

Anyway, that's correct.  That's what I was trying to do on linux.

(Also, sorry for not responding sooner.  I had to do a backup on my hard drive and boy was I glad that I did, it literally died.. the old one I mean.  wasn't detected in windows, nor linux.  And not even detected in the other programs and tools used for making partitions.  So.. yep!  Glad I made a backup.  Otherwise I would've lost 100GB worth of data/media!)

• 3 weeks later...