Can't figure out RAID 10 in Win10/server 2016

GrimOfDoom

I have to build a proof of concept server for a small business I work at (I am the only one with enough knowledge and basic training to do so), and I have had no luck with the final step of creating a RAID 10. I am permitted to only 4 drives max and they must be RAID 10, and using a cheap 4 SATA port PCI adapter card (with built in basic raid of 1, 0, 10 and something else). Anyways, when I try to implement RAID 10 with Windows Server 2016 or the PCI card, neither actually do it right (Or I do something wrong). They chain into a single drive, but everything is just stored to a single disk, as when that single disk gets pulled- the entire virtual disk stops working and all the data is lost. The other 3 drives can be removed while the system is running (Smart, I know. Surprised it has not puffed into smoke so far), but there is always just that one single disk that is only used even with the striping at a small 8kb and files at 1GB+.

I was never taught about even how to make a RAID from the IT course I took, so I can easily be making the wrong choices somewhere. I also know it was just 1 drive holding all the data because I could shut the server down, and individually look at all the drives where 3 are un-allocated and 1 has completely readable data including an ~4GB video that plays no problem. I cannot even find any tutorials on how to do it, as most go over RAID 5 and 6. I need RAID 10 as I could be away for a week+ with no one there having the ability to switch the correct drive out, so the redundancy will be major data saving. This is the final step I need before I can show off the demo server, so I can get the money to get the actual parts and software needed to finish this Frankenstein of a server (ex-computer turned server, built by someone else who decided that it was best to have 2x2GB and 1x4GB of DDR3 RAM).

Are you using storage spacse? Cheap sata cards are known for problems.

Just setup storage spaces with 2 collums and a mirror and then you have a raid 10. 

Get a real card for raid or hpa, like something from lsi or areca or adeptec, those cheap cards are bad, and aren't real hardware raid normally.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you using storage spacse? Cheap sata cards are known for problems.

Just setup storage spaces with 2 collums and a mirror and then you have a raid 10. 

Get a real card for raid or hpa, like something from lsi or areca or adeptec, those cheap cards are bad, and aren't real hardware raid normally.

Can you explain or provide a source that explains how to make this? I’ve tried making 2 mirrors, but there was no option to stripe them together to make RAID 10.

I won’t be able to get the money to build a proper server, getting a real server/raid card and some actual performance(stuck with the cheap ~$25-30 card that was lying around) for a long time.

3 hours ago, GrimOfDoom said:
12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you explain or provide a source that explains how to make this? I’ve tried making 2 mirrors, but there was no option to stripe them together to make RAID 10.

You make a single mirror, and when you do that you make 2 collums.

https://dataonsupport.dataonstorage.com/support/solutions/articles/6000015451-what-are-columns-and-how-does-storage-spaces-decide-how-many-to-use-

It may do this automatically, just try making a mirrored volume.

That documentation is great and all, but I cannot even find this "storage spaces" tool in windows server 2016 when I search it up or perform a basic run command for it. In Disk Management, I create 2 mirrors or 2 stripes, then when I right click them- there is no other options to mirror/stripe those together into RAID10/01.

On my 5th attempt, doing everything the exact same using the cheap raid card I have. 2 disks are clearly striped together, but the other 2 are just not used AT ALL even though I tell it to. If I remove either disk A or B, then nothing happens. If I remove either disk C or D, then the entire RAID/volume becomes unrecognizable until I plug it back in.

6th attempt. I tried this time with storage pool, all 4 disks into a single one in "mirror", and in my file transfers I was getting much faster speeds. I do not know how to tell if it really worked or not in the end.