Add more drives to RAID easily?

Gleb K
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, Gleb K said:

It is likely I will pick Windows 10 Home. Is it easy to add more drives or is there a chance of data loss (a major one)

There is always a chance of data loss, thats why you have backups.

Storage spaces will let you do this, you need power shell to do more advanced things.

Also look at drive pool and snapraid.

Hello, I am going to setup a NAS at home however it will also function as my computer sometimes (not my daily driver, I will just use it about two times a week). Because of this I am likely going to install Windows 10 and then if I need anything else in a VM. However I have hear about unRAID and how it is very easy to add new drives into your array.

Is it possible to make something like this possible in Windows 10 or Ubuntu (I don't really mind what RAID array I should use as long as it is a common one)?

* I will have 4 HDDs to start with and I am planning to expand in the future.

i7 8700K CPU | Gigabyte 1080 TI Turbo Graphics Card | Asus Z370-A Motherboard | 2 x 16GB Vengeance LPX Memory |  Samsung 1TB 970 Pro SSD | WD Red 6TB & WD Green 3TB HDDs | Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2 Case | EK Monoblock + Bykski Graphics card Waterblocks EK 420 PE + 420 CE Radiators | 6 EK Furious Vardar EVO 140 BB Fans |  Enermax Neochanger 200ml Reservoir & pump

6 minutes ago, Gleb K said:

Hello, I am going to setup a NAS at home however it will also function as my computer sometimes (not my daily driver, I will just use it about two times a week). Because of this I am likely going to install Windows 10 and then if I need anything else in a VM. However I have hear about unRAID and how it is very easy to add new drives into your array.

Is it possible to make something like this possible in Windows 10 or Ubuntu (I don't really mind what RAID array I should use as long as it is a common one)?

* I will have 4 HDDs to start with and I am planning to expand in the future.

Don't use software RAID

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Don't use software RAID

But by using hardware RAID is it easier to add more drives to the array?

i7 8700K CPU | Gigabyte 1080 TI Turbo Graphics Card | Asus Z370-A Motherboard | 2 x 16GB Vengeance LPX Memory |  Samsung 1TB 970 Pro SSD | WD Red 6TB & WD Green 3TB HDDs | Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2 Case | EK Monoblock + Bykski Graphics card Waterblocks EK 420 PE + 420 CE Radiators | 6 EK Furious Vardar EVO 140 BB Fans |  Enermax Neochanger 200ml Reservoir & pump

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Don't use software RAID

Software raid can be better than hardware raid and supports more features like scrubbing with checksums and easy addtion and migration of storage.

Yep you can expand arrays on both win10 and ubuntu, but it dependson on how you want to setup your storage.

What drive setup? Pick a os

2 minutes ago, Gleb K said:

But by using hardware RAID is it easier to add more drives to the array?

Hardware RAID is still basically software RAID

Just use FreeNAS with ZFS, seems to be the easiest thing

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Software raid can be better than hardware raid and supports more features like scrubbing with checksums and easy addtion and migration of storage.

Yep you can expand arrays on both win10 and ubuntu, but it dependson on how you want to setup your storage.

What drive setup? Pick a os

It is likely I will pick Windows 10 Home. Is it easy to add more drives or is there a chance of data loss (a major one)

Just now, Gleb K said:

There is always a chance of data loss, thats why you have backups.

Storage spaces will let you do this, you need power shell to do more advanced things.

Also look at drive pool and snapraid.