Upgrade - GTX 770 to used GTX 970

Hey Guys!
I'd like to get some opinions on the following topic:

My current system runs a EVGA GTX 770 2GB with an Asus 1440p screen. The 770 is definately showing it's age and the VRAM is quite small for this resolution. I don't want to blow a lot of money on the new RTX series right now and that's where a friend of my mine comes into play. He will buy a new RTX card and offered me his used GTX 970 - no fixed price yet, but I might get it for 100-125€.
This seems to be a reasonable price for little bump in performance and VRAM-capacity, but I am not 100% sure if I should take this deal or save my money and maybe get something like a RTX 2060 some time next year. Right now I'm leaning towards the 970...
Any thoughts? (Yes I know, there will always be a faster card in the future. It's just to get an Idea, because I never bought a used GPU before.)

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

1 minute ago, Barodil said:

Find an R9 290/390 or RX 570/580 8GB

the extra VRAM will be very useful for 1440p gaming

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

100/125 is a great deal for 970. It will do much better at 1440p even with its 3.5GB VRAM. 

Try get a used 980ti/1070/Fury X class of card for 1440p. They cost more but it is a big difference in performance 

That's an F in the profile pic

I agree with Froody129. Better get used 980ti or 1070, rather than those cards. I had 770 few years ago and it wasn't enough for 1080p gaming even few years ago.

1 hour ago, J.b091 said:

I agree with Froody129. Better get used 980ti or 1070, rather than those cards. I had 770 few years ago and it wasn't enough for 1080p gaming even few years ago.

Nah I had a 680 earlier this year and it wasn't too bad at 1440p. Definitely not for AAA games 

This upgrade would be like going from a 1050ti to a 1060 3gb. Substantial upgrade but not earth shattering for how much it's going to cost you. 

That's an F in the profile pic

10 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Nah I had a 680 earlier this year and it wasn't too bad at 1440p. Definitely not for AAA games 

This upgrade would be like going from a 1050ti to a 1060 3gb. Substantial upgrade but not earth shattering for how much it's going to cost you. 

I was talking for AAA games & it was very weak even for 1080p for someone like me who likes playing with 60 fps and good graphics. It was disaster.