Resetting PC but worried for BSOD

MrTralala

So I've pretty much upgraded my original Pre-Built (Asus G11CB) with a new GPU, PSU, Motherboard and CPU. I have also replaced the 128 GB SSD (which is the Windows drive) with a 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO as my new main Windows drive. I used EaseUS to do the cloning and basically set it up as my main boot drive.

The only worry I have now though is that if I reset my PC, will I get BSOD due to the graphics driver? From what I've heard, Pre-Builts come with the graphics driver and all pre-installed. Is it true?

You won't get a BSoD because you're lacking drivers at first, you shouldn't worry about that, pre-builts mostly behave like normal computers anyway. All drivers are indeed pre-installed, that makes it a plug and play experience, but you won't brick it by re-installing your OS since you can obtain drivers fairly easily nowadays.

Edited by O-T

I like hanging out and conversing about tech and stuff, commuting from forums to discord every so often.

Wait first you said this:

9 minutes ago, O-T said:

You won't get a BSoD because you're lacking drivers at first

Then u said:

9 minutes ago, O-T said:

All drivers are pre-installed though, that makes it a plug and play experience

So does resetting your PC come with drivers as far as graphics drivers are concerned? I'm more worried for this and anything other driver that might cause BSOD (say the wireless adapter driver).

Sorry I tend to be a worrywart, so I worry about things before they even happen.

1 hour ago, trevor_leong said:

So I've pretty much upgraded my original Pre-Built (Asus G11CB) with a new GPU, PSU, Motherboard and CPU. I have also replaced the 128 GB SSD (which is the Windows drive) with a 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO as my new main Windows drive. I used EaseUS to do the cloning and basically set it up as my main boot drive.

The only worry I have now though is that if I reset my PC, will I get BSOD due to the graphics driver? From what I've heard, Pre-Builts come with the graphics driver and all pre-installed. Is it true?

So don't reset your pc. Just boot and it will works.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

So don't reset your pc. Just boot and it will works.

I just wanna start my PC from a clean slate with new hardware. Besides, my hard drive storage space has been piling up, it would be too time consuming to uninstall every other software/game that I don't need anymore.

Just now, trevor_leong said:

Wait first you said this:

Then u said:

So does resetting your PC come with drivers as far as graphics drivers are concerned? I'm more worried for this and anything other driver that might cause BSOD (say the wireless adapter driver).

Sorry I tend to be a worrywart, so I worry about things before they even happen.

What I meant to say, which is why I edited my message, was that, basically, when a pre-built is sold to you the system has a pre-installed OS with drivers already installed. However, your pc can work without graphic drivers at first so you can install the actual drivers later on, display drivers enhance display experience but are not absolutely necessary, so you'll need to fetch these and install them once your windows is reinstalled.

I like hanging out and conversing about tech and stuff, commuting from forums to discord every so often.

26 minutes ago, O-T said:

What I meant to say, which is why I edited my message, was that, basically, when a pre-built is sold to you the system has a pre-installed OS with drivers already installed. However, your pc can work without graphic drivers at first so you can install the actual drivers later on, display drivers enhance display experience but are not absolutely necessary, so you'll need to fetch these and install them once your windows is reinstalled.

To be honest, you didn't really answer my one and only question which was:

When resetting your Pre-Built PC, does it come with graphics drivers or not?

Yes, I know your PC can run without graphics drivers. My main concern however is whether actual people install the graphics drivers on your Pre-Built PC for you or is the system made by the manufacturers in such a way where its factory state has graphics drivers (whether outdated or not).

EDIT: This website says all the manufacturer installed software and drivers that came with the PC will be reinstalled.

4 minutes ago, trevor_leong said:

To be honest, you didn't really answer my one and only question which was:

Yes, I know your PC can run without graphics drivers. My main concern however is whether actual people install the graphics drivers on your Pre-Built PC for you or is the system made by the manufacturers in such a way where its factory state has graphics drivers (whether outdated or not).

No, the system is not made in such a way where graphics drivers are at factory state. When you reset your PC, all you have to do is grab the graphics drivers again from the web for your equipment by doing a quick research. However, I believe that nowadays Windows 10 fetches a lot of the drivers almost automatically. The enterprise that sets up the PC is responsible for loading the drivers on the OS.

Edited by O-T

pre build got pre installed drivers

for my laptop i got even a recovery console that resets it back at the prebuild state 

i just formatted that drive , installed a nice clean windows on it and it works out of the box

only problem was my tracker ... so the backup drive contains my hp drivers .. installed it and it works

here is the drive layout -> c:/ os :-> D: Games :-> Hidden recovery  :-> E: :->Recovery ( containing the drivers serperated  ) 

but now days , windows 10 auto download your drivers and most things just work out of the box

some stuff wont work out of the box , but then i am speaking over verry specific software ( like my remote controller for windows Media Edition ... ) and my IR Reciever

but if you just install the drivers then it works fine ( go to the manufacture site and download his drivers )

or you can use a driver tool ( like system mechanic or some freeware programs ) 

or your best solution

download this driver pack ( 40GB or so  )

https://sdi-tool.org/

its freeware

but do not use it to update your Sata controller ( specialy not for a M.2 from Toshiba ) as it will trow a Bluescreen on boot ... atleast it dit in my case :(

Greets From PowerChaos

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

Ok, this is super-confusing thread. But if this is your main question:

18 hours ago, trevor_leong said:

Then answer is yes. But only if you reset with prebuilds own restore disc. That will install all drivers for that prebuild. If you reset without prebuilds hardware and restore disc, then Windows will have basic PnP drivers. With newer version of Windows, they are quite OK until you can download and install actual drivers. In XP, and Vista, having PnP GPU drivers meant that resolution was 800x640. Another problem might be ethernet connection. I've seen this in few XP/Vista era prebuilds, and from any motherboard using Killer's NIC. Windows might not have compatible PnP driver, so download that in advace, or have another device ready for it.

From what understand, you are actually looking for fresh start with new hardware. Reset isn't the thing I would use. Yes, it will remove all software and make Windows like it is from fresh install. But this doesn't clean all files and there will be traces from old software. Clean install is best, if you want fresh start. Ofc this means that you need to backup boot drive.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 24/08/2018 at 3:59 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Ok, this is super-confusing thread. But if this is your main question:

Then answer is yes. But only if you reset with prebuilds own restore disc. That will install all drivers for that prebuild. If you reset without prebuilds hardware and restore disc, then Windows will have basic PnP drivers. With newer version of Windows, they are quite OK until you can download and install actual drivers. In XP, and Vista, having PnP GPU drivers meant that resolution was 800x640. Another problem might be ethernet connection. I've seen this in few XP/Vista era prebuilds, and from any motherboard using Killer's NIC. Windows might not have compatible PnP driver, so download that in advace, or have another device ready for it.

From what understand, you are actually looking for fresh start with new hardware. Reset isn't the thing I would use. Yes, it will remove all software and make Windows like it is from fresh install. But this doesn't clean all files and there will be traces from old software. Clean install is best, if you want fresh start. Ofc this means that you need to backup boot drive.

Ahhh I see.

Yeah I want to clear every file and driver that might conflict with new hardware which is why I wanted to reset Windows 10. Hm...you mentioned clean install, which sounds better. Do you have a link that I can follow to do so?

1 minute ago, trevor_leong said:

Ahhh I see.

Yeah I want to clear every file and driver that might conflict with new hardware which is why I wanted to reset Windows 10. Hm...you mentioned clean install, which sounds better. Do you have a link that I can follow to do so?

download "easy2boot" and create a bootable usb stick ( just click and it does it for you )

or download windows media creation tool ( also single click )

with the first , you need a windows iso , and then you can boot from usb and use the windows iso to start the windows installation

with the second , you just start from usb and the windows install will begin

please note , you need a usb stick of atleast 8GB to get this to work

Greets From PowerChaos

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

23 minutes ago, PowerChaos said:

download "easy2boot" and create a bootable usb stick ( just click and it does it for you )

or download windows media creation tool ( also single click )

with the first , you need a windows iso , and then you can boot from usb and use the windows iso to start the windows installation

with the second , you just start from usb and the windows install will begin

please note , you need a usb stick of atleast 8GB to get this to work

Greets From PowerChaos

I see.

With regards to the second method, is it the same as the Windows 10's fresh start?

waLStWf.png

12 minutes ago, trevor_leong said:

I see.

With regards to the second method, is it the same as the Windows 10's fresh start?

waLStWf.png

I don't think so. Clean install means that you format boot drive. You can't do that within Windows. I think that option is fresh install without format. You can do that from booted USB also, where you can choose to save old files if you wish. End result is same for usability.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I don't think so. Clean install means that you format boot drive. You can't do that within Windows. I think that option is fresh install without format. You can do that from booted USB also, where you can choose to save old files if you wish. End result is same for usability.

Hmm...not really sure what you mean by format boot drive. I assume you mean this?

screenshot.12

Just to clarify, this link is what you mean by clean install right?

34 minutes ago, trevor_leong said:

Hmm...not really sure what you mean by format boot drive. I assume you mean this?

screenshot.12

Yes, boot drive is the partition your Windows is on.

34 minutes ago, trevor_leong said:

Just to clarify, this link is what you mean by clean install right?

Yup, thats it. I don't know what Win10's feature does exactly. I haven't used those, I think they are rather new ways (from Win8 and up).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv