Is this a good enough PSU?

P3dro

Hi, I built myself a new desktop about a month ago and I used my 2-3 years old Corsair GS700 in the rig. Yesterday it started burning out so I turned off my computer and I am looking for a new PSU. Since I used up my budget to build the desktop, I don't want to spend more than £100 on a new PSU. I found the Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Grand RGB for £95 and was wondering if it is a good enough PSU for my system (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pgGytg) or if there are any better alternatives? The alternatives can be cheaper or slightly more costly if it is worth it :D Also do I need 750W or 850W? I was lookign at 850W just in case I want to go dual GPU in the future.

Thank you for any advice :) 

Yeah go for it I use it in my current setup. I just turn off the RGB because it gets annoying when I sleep. And 750W would be more then good

Setup:

Name: Ryzentosh

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400mhz

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Thermaltake Smart RGB Series 600W

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." ~ Murray Walker RIP

You could probably stand to go down some wattage. Even with dual GPU, what's your CPU? If you've got something like an overclocked i7, and 2 modern graphics cards in SLI, you still probs need less than 700W, so a 700W PSU would be a good place to start 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

850w will be good for dual gpu in the future for a second 1080, that card is 270w according to zotac, so lets say 600w for two cards with a light extra overclock on them

gives you plenty of room for the rest of the system and the i5

about 100w to spare which is what you want for a decent psu to avoid excessive heat and output loss

Just now, fasauceome said:

You could probably stand to go down some wattage. Even with dual GPU, what's your CPU? If you've got something like an overclocked i7, and 2 modern graphics cards in SLI, you still probs need less than 700W, so a 700W PSU would be a good place to start 

nah, those zotac 1080's are 270w a piece and require dual 8 pins

if they were FE stock 1080's then theyre only 180w, so even a 550w PSU could do two of them + the rest of the system, but not those zotac cards

1 minute ago, campy said:

nah, those zotac 1080's are 270w a piece and require dual 8 pins

if they were FE stock 1080's then theyre only 180w, so even a 550w PSU could do two of them + the rest of the system, but not those zotac cards

Unless the CPU is a Ryzen chip, then i would go a tad higher. :P

but this is fine

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Yeah it's fine.  Its not top tier but it's not a fire hazard either.

?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The 1080 is a 180W card. The Zotac claims 230W, presumably for marketing, not for the actual power draw. 

Even assuming that, 450W is plenty. The Toughpower has a high fan RPM, even at fairly low loads. If you want a loud PSU, you might as well go all the way and get the G3 or Prime Gold. 

If you want a quiet and well performing PSU, there's the Straight Power 11 450W, Whisper M 450W, RM550x 2018 and RM550x

:)

You do NOT need a unit that outputs more than 550W! A GTX 1080, with OC, uses 250W if you really bleed the heart out of the thing. An i5 8400 uses maybe 75W.

A Corsair TX550M would be PLENTY for your system. A Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, Bitfenix Whisper/Formula Gold, EVGA G2/G3, Antec HCG Gold - these would be suitable alternatives.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You do NOT need a unit that outputs more than 550W! A GTX 1080, with OC, uses 250W if you really bleed the heart out of the thing. An i5 8400 uses maybe 75W.

A Corsair TX550M would be PLENTY for your system. A Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, Bitfenix Whisper/Formula Gold, EVGA G2/G3, Antec HCG Gold - these would be suitable alternatives.

^^^ I'm running a 980 Ti and R7 2700X just fine off a 550W PSU (EVGA G3), you only need more if you go for SLI. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Would the EVGA G2 550 be good enough for the current system? Don't think I will want to overclock really and if I decide to go for SLI I would just upgrade the PSU

1 minute ago, P3dro said:

Would the EVGA G2 550 be good enough for the current system? Don't think I will want to overclock really and if I decide to go for SLI I would just upgrade the PSU

Not good for £83. My recommendations are above. 

:)

3 minutes ago, P3dro said:

Yes, it would be fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||