Cpu's port requires eight pins, psu came with 1 x 4 pins

acidcat66
Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

I agree with @seon123.

One thing I will mention is that you can run a modern consumer grade CPU on just the 4 pins, but you lose any overclocking capability due to the lower power supplied.

So i've built a fresh pc everything is compatible except the cpu port gets only 1 x 4 pins cable, but when i boot it up all the fans will start along with the gpu's rgb lights etc, but after some time it restarts itself.
-No i dont hear any beeps, the built fine
-Yes all the components are compatible
-My psu is 500 w which is enough i guess

Some specs:

MOBO:Asrock pro

CPU:I57400

GPU:GIGABYTE 1050TI
.According to most forums it should boot even with only one of the 4 pin cables, but in some cases it wont  as the cpu's standart requirement is 8 pins which means 4 x 12V and 4 GNDS

so i thought a 2 fan cables to one 8 pin adapter would do the job, note that it's not just a 4 to 8 adapter but one with two separate voltage sources,sadly it didnt work, i checked the cables using 12 v led stripes nothing, and finally tried to literally solder the fan's voltage and ground wires to 8 pins converter and still nothing,

.I noticed that when i boot up the system with 1 x 4pins and it boots up and then i plug the 8 pins adapter it shutsdown completely and, which i guess shorts the mobo?

i really think about buying a new cable with 2 x 4 pins but i really dont think anything will change since i did everything right..

If you have any clue or advices please save my ass:(

What kind of PSU did you buy? If it only has a single 4 pin EPS connector, I'm afraid you should return it and get a decent PSU. 

:)

I agree with @seon123.

One thing I will mention is that you can run a modern consumer grade CPU on just the 4 pins, but you lose any overclocking capability due to the lower power supplied.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

well i bought it from a local market for 10 bucks that guy said it's new it's just that he had 4 pin requirement mobo, i guess ill just buy a brand new one but id really like to know what's the issue in my current case

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I agree with @seon123.

meh i am well aware of that i wont ever risk overclocking, but still i dont think a new psu will make any difference since i am doing everything correctly

3 minutes ago, acidcat66 said:

well i bought it from a local market for 10 bucks that guy said it's new it's just that he had 4 pin requirement mobo, i guess ill just buy a brand new one but id really like to know what's the issue in my current case

get a better than random PSU. get something in T3 or above from the PSU tier list

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, acidcat66 said:

Boot looping can be caused by a few different things, but memory and PSU are the usual suspects.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, acidcat66 said:

meh i am well aware of that i wont ever risk overclocking, but still i dont think a new psu will make any difference since i am doing everything correctly

A poor power supply runs the risk of taking other components with it when it dies fails.
A power supply is something that you want to pay stick price for a reputable brand, with good reviews from someone who knows power supplies (jonnyguru - hint hint) for, you don't want to cheap out on it. A "local market", "$10", "it's new" and a only including a 4-pin EPS are all red flags that scream "low quality" to me.

It's not worth the risk in my eyes.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Not a lot of CPUs require more than 240w which is what a 4pin should be able to deliver. This in itself shouldn't be a problem.

But the point that it's probably a shit PSU is very probably true.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

alright new psu it is i guess..

can you guys tell me what are some aspects that rank the psu tires and how do i tell which is more compatible with my system, sorry i am a newbie to this,

21 minutes ago, acidcat66 said:

alright new psu it is i guess..

can you guys tell me what are some aspects that rank the psu tires and how do i tell which is more compatible with my system, sorry i am a newbie to this,

well this is comparing detailed testing of the units, for you and most people T3 and above is fine. Most should have 1x 4+4 CPU power but just check

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs