External drives extremely slow on Windows 10

I've recently ordered a pretty fast system for around $8000 with a Samsung Pro SSD with Windows 10 installed (had Windows 7 on my old computer). I also have a 10TB internal drive and three 6TB in a RAID0 for performance. 

Now, all those drives checks out and are fast, but I have around a petabyte of external drives, most of them with USB3. When I plug one in to transfer back some of the files from my old system, the transfer is suuuuuuper slow, not even a little, it's down to 6 kbit/s. Sometimes it pops up and transfers at 70mbit/s, but then it drops down to a halt before continuing at around 6kbit/s. When I explore the drive, going through files, sometimes the explorer window totally freezes up when opening a folder and after 20-30 seconds or so, it opens that folder. 

This inconsistency is seriously not normal. The motherboard is a Asus Sage X299, so it shouldn't be the problem. I checked to optimze external drives instead of safe eject but that didn't help either. 

It was not like this on Windows 7 with these drives, so what is it that causes this problem? It has something to do how with Windows 10 handles external drives since it worked before. 

UPDATE

So I plugged in my drives on the back instead of using the front ports (Fractal Design XL) and now the inconsistencies are gone, however, the transfer speed of USB3.0 is capped at 40Mbit/s. Should be much higher. 

Transferspeed.PNG

@Glazarus interesting that you’re having issues with the front panel usbs. I have that exact same issue with my fractal, and generally just plug them into my motherboard now. Although the 40mbs is weird. What type of drives are these? WD, Seagate, and so on?

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

15 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

@Glazarus interesting that you’re having issues with the front panel usbs. I have that exact same issue with my fractal, and generally just plug them into my motherboard now. Although the 40mbs is weird. What type of drives are these? WD, Seagate, and so on?

40MB/s is the speed cap of usb 2, so his external drives are working at usb 2 speeds for some reason. Maybe try different back panel ports?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

On 2018-08-18 at 5:05 PM, Origami Cactus said:

40MB/s is the speed cap of usb 2, so his external drives are working at usb 2 speeds for some reason. Maybe try different back panel ports?

I tried changing the ports and I think I got higher speeds, haven't checked for real though. Might it be a faulty marking, marking a USB2 as UBS3? Seems weird on a Sage card though.

make sure they are actually plugged into a USB 3.0 port. even newer MBs still have USB 2.0. Mine has 6 USB3.0 and 2 USB2.0

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒