Another misleading and incorrect Techquickie: monitor vs tv

17 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I see a few TVs that can't do 0-255 but only 16-235 because 16-235 is what movies is. Basically all monitors are 0-255.

Exctly like I said, if you go one big TV instead of multiple monitors, you basically must compare 1080 monitors with 4k TV. If you do anything else, monitors will be better.

Monitors is created to sit close, like arm distance from them. If you buy a big TV and have to sit further back to not get any colour shift or anything, then what's the point even consider the TV? Better to just have multiple monitors so they are pointed at you and no colour problems.

I have a 24" IPS monitor as main monitor. I can, by moving my head basically see that if it was a for example 40" flat TV, black would look more grey in the corners than the rest.. 3 monitors that is in total the same with or even somewhat larger, places correctly, would not.

That said, I would neither have three 24" monitors or one  40"+ TV to game on personally. I would do one 24" 1080p or one 27/32" 4K. And have a second monitor for other stuff and not gaming.

1) I've never seen a tv in the past decade that can't do full 0-255.

Maybe you're thinking of some cheap chinese brand tvs or something, I can guarantee you that no well known brand like samsung would limit it to 16-235.

If you read the end of my first post you will see that if using nvidia there is a setting that needs to be changed to get the full output dynamic range.

2) You don't need to sit further back from a tv as long as it has a decent panel.

I am an arm's length away from mine and there is 0 colour distortion to the far edges.

Again, read the rtings reviews to make sure that the tv you're looking to buy has good viewing angles.

If your IPS monitor is looking grey in the corners when you look from a larger angle you may have backlight bleed or some other issue.

It is definitely not normal.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) I've never seen a tv in the past decade that can't do full 0-255.

Maybe you're thinking of some cheap chinese brand tvs or something, I can guarantee you that no well known brand like samsung would limit it to 16-235.

If you read the end of my first post you will see that if using nvidia there is a setting that needs to be changed to get the full output dynamic range.

2) You don't need to sit further back from a tv as long as it has a decent panel.

I am an arm's length away from mine and there is 0 colour distortion to the far edges.

Again, read the rtings reviews to make sure that the tv you're looking to buy has good viewing angles.

If your IPS monitor is looking grey in the corners when you look from a larger angle you may have backlight bleed or some other issue.

It is definitely not normal.

It doesn't have backlight bleed at all, that's not that it is. Hole screen looks grey if move to much to the side, but corners start to do it first as it's furthest away from you. You probably just don't notice/care about slight shift. It's not like a lot at all, but it's some.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, Mihle said:

It doesn't have backlight bleed at all, that's not that it is. Hole screen looks grey if move to much to the side, but corners start to do it first as it's furthest away from you. You probably just don't notice/care about slight shift. It's not like a lot at all, but it's some.

Are you sure it's IPS?

Is it a good quality one?

That should not happen with a good IPS panel.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Are you sure it's IPS?

Is it a good quality one?

That should not happen with a good IPS panel.

It's LED IPS. It's not like my laptop with shitty TN when it even happens on the corners from normal distance straight on.

All IPS I have seen does the same but slightly. It's much much much better than TN. My brother's monitor, LG IPS, but it's actually worse in the "black look less black in corner"  when trying to "Emulate" how it would be on a bigger display than mine. but again, it's still much better than TN, but still little bit noticeable. If you wonder what angle I am looking it's normal distance on 24", just basically my head is little bit from straight on one of the corners to "emulate" probably 44" display would look in the opposite corner.  Phone's AMOLED is less so.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Linus, you disappoint us again. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

55 minutes ago, wasab said:

Linus, you disappoint us again. 

He really.... DROPPED the ball on this one.