Thermaltake Tough Power Grand (RGB) 650W

Galion

Is this a good psu? My cousin is thinking of getting it. 

$109.99

He plans to use it to power his 2600 and gtx 1080 build. 

I don't think it's enough. 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

1 minute ago, Galion said:

$109.99

A 550W power supply will do you better than a 650W.

That psu ranks in tier 2 of the psu tier list. Never used a thermaltake psu so I can't comment, but I can comment on the use of RGBs on a psu.. is well ridiculous. 

Best & worst cases for your money in 2018 are:

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Fractal Define R6 - Silent with decent airflow

I) Be Quiet! DB 900 (Full Tower) - Airflow and silent 

I) Fractal Design Meshify C mini (mATX)

I) Corsair 400C - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Phanteks 350X - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Fractal Design Focus G

Cases that may be worth your money

I) Thermaltake G21 - GPU and CPU cooling issues, modest tweaking
I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) Coolermaster H500 no suffix - if 200mm fans are your thing

I) NZXT H700 non "i" version - Needs to come down in price to be worth it

I) Corsair Carbide 100R - Suitable for low end builds

The worst cases - Do Not Buy

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow
I) Coolermaster Masterbox 5

Majority of cases on the market

You can get so much better PSU for that kind of money... But it wont have RGB.

6 minutes ago, Gedgn said:

A 550W power supply will do you better than a 650W.

That psu ranks in tier 2 of the psu tier list. Never used a thermaltake psu so I can't comment, but I can comment on the use of RGBs on a psu.. is well ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You can get so much better PSU for that kind of money... But it wont have RGB.

LOL, you guy should see his tempered glass case 99% rgb when you go into his roon no need lights his machine is rge light. Even my rvz01 rgb isn't 5% of it's brightness.... 

It's like walking into a rave club lol. 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

Using a power supply like the Thermaltake Toughpower (650W version), it should have just a little room to power his system under full load.  The 2600 usually has very low power consumption during idle stages, and can draw up to 111W during full load.  A 1080, not a 1080Ti, however, can draw up to 400W under full load.  That leaves around 140W wiggle room to account for other things such as fans, memory or storage.

I would recommend that your cousin takes a step up, and gets the 750W version of ThermalTake Toughpower Grand RGB.  Links are featured below:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-256-Color-Warranty-PS-TPG-0750FPCGUS-R/dp/B01N4C39AR (Amazon)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153309 (Newegg)

Otherwise, like I stated earlier, your cousin will have approximately 140W of wiggle room with the 650 version, instead of 240W of wiggle room with the 750W version.

Hope your cousin enjoys his build!

3 minutes ago, Sam Axe said:

Using a power supply like the Thermaltake Toughpower (650W version), it should have just a little room to power his system under full load.  The 2600 usually has very low power consumption during idle stages, and can draw up to 111W during full load.  A 1080, not a 1080Ti, however, can draw up to 400W under full load.  That leaves around 140W wiggle room to account for other things such as fans, memory or storage.

I would recommend that your cousin takes a step up, and gets the 750W version of ThermalTake Toughpower Grand RGB.  Links are featured below:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-256-Color-Warranty-PS-TPG-0750FPCGUS-R/dp/B01N4C39AR (Amazon)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153309 (Newegg)

Otherwise, like I stated earlier, your cousin will have approximately 140W of wiggle room with the 650 version, instead of 240W of wiggle room with the 750W version.

Hope your cousin enjoys his build!

I believe he does the idiot set his rgb in the system and rgb speakers to the head pounding heavy metal music he listens to. When I go over to his hose to play Fortnite it reminds me of the laser show my school had put on last year. 

Best Value Build List

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

I haven't seen tests that would confirm this. Check a review of an overclocked MSI GTX1080: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Gaming_X_Plus_11_Gbps/28.html

It used only 234W at peak power.

CINEBENCH R15 benchmarks that I have done on my own, have drawn anywhere from 234W-400W of power.  I had my own 1080 overclocked, and it pulled about 390W of power.  During gaming sessions, however, I have played Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on 1080p 'Ultra' settings, and the card would draw around 330W. 

I should rather correct myself, a 1080 (overclocked) will draw anywhere from 240W-400W of power, from what I have seen in my own benchmarks.

18 minutes ago, Sam Axe said:

A 1080, not a 1080Ti, however, can draw up to 400W under full load.

A 1080 can draw up to 400W at peak...? ? ?

How are you calculating those draws??

Why are you recommending him a 750W now. 550W is perfectly fine.

Best & worst cases for your money in 2018 are:

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Fractal Define R6 - Silent with decent airflow

I) Be Quiet! DB 900 (Full Tower) - Airflow and silent 

I) Fractal Design Meshify C mini (mATX)

I) Corsair 400C - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Phanteks 350X - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Fractal Design Focus G

Cases that may be worth your money

I) Thermaltake G21 - GPU and CPU cooling issues, modest tweaking
I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) Coolermaster H500 no suffix - if 200mm fans are your thing

I) NZXT H700 non "i" version - Needs to come down in price to be worth it

I) Corsair Carbide 100R - Suitable for low end builds

The worst cases - Do Not Buy

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow
I) Coolermaster Masterbox 5

Majority of cases on the market

46 minutes ago, Galion said:

$109.99

I wouldn't really get it new but with RGB there aren't many options...

Though you'd probably get something better from different manufacturers...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

32 minutes ago, Sam Axe said:

Your wattage is completely off.

And have you ever head something about Powerlimit? Or power limiting?

The technology where something limits the current a device can consume. And that is implemented in the 1k Series from nVidia.

So there is no way in hell that the 1080ti can consume 400W for a longer period of time without a hardware mod.

I wouldn't because its bullshit and he doesn't need no 750W.

All he needs is a good quality 550W.

Because you misinterpreted the infos you got or got wrong information.

Either the review you were looking at measured the whole system, or it was the peak thingy for a mili second or two...

No, he does not.

He has like 300W w/o OC on the 650W and 400W on the 750W.

So no, makes no sense to get the 750W as it IIRC is the same unit modified for the Higher Wattage.

24 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

I haven't seen tests that would confirm this. Check a review of an overclocked MSI GTX1080: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Gaming_X_Plus_11_Gbps/28.html

It used only 234W at peak power.

I have but only for a fraction of a second.

But that really doesn't matter, does it?

Look at THG for information.

But besides that there is nothing that supports this claim.

Oh and of course he might have mistaken the whole system for the card...

17 minutes ago, Sam Axe said:

CINEBENCH R15 benchmarks that I have done on my own, have drawn anywhere from 234W-400W of power.  I had my own 1080 overclocked, and it pulled about 390W of power.  During gaming sessions, however, I have played Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on 1080p 'Ultra' settings, and the card would draw around 330W. 

I should rather correct myself, a 1080 (overclocked) will draw anywhere from 240W-400W of power, from what I have seen in my own benchmarks.

Yes, you said it yourself, that your whole system consumed up to 400W from the Wall.

But that's not just the Card, that's CPU, CPU VRM, HDD, Fans and the Chipset and everything else in your PC, not just the graphics card.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, Sam Axe said:

I'm guessing your used something like a Kill-A-Watt to measure that? Remember you have to subtract a decent amount from what it tells you because of efficiency. A Kill-A-Watt reads that my system draws about 370W under load, however if you do some napkin math for my PSU, the system draws 330W or so from the unit itself.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||