FPS Problems

Some1iscool

i literally can't see the difference between 24 fps and 60 fps ( i can see some choppy images If i compare it side by side)

My friends tell i'm blind if  i can't tell the difference

my friends say 24 fps is disgusting and unplayable

but i don't see a lot of difference

Am i normal?

It's impossible to not see the difference between 24fps and 60fps.

24 fps is choppy and almost unplayable , it's under the performance a console would give you . So if you're getting this performance on a PC , I think it's time to uprgrade.

To answer your question 'Am I normal?' , No,  not being able to see the difference is an issue and if you're being serious about not being able to spot the difference I would suggest going to see an optician or something.

What game? On fast paced games there's significant difference, but if you play something like rts or driving game, there's nothing you would really notice. Not unless you watch counter.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone is a bit different with what they feel ok playing, but if you actually struggle to notice the difference, then that is absolutely not normal.  I'm not sure what to tell you beyond that though... I don't think there's any test an optician can give you, and regardless I don't think there's anything they could do about the situation anyway.  You can't get glasses to notice motion better.  It's possible a brain scan while you are watching videos at different fps might reveal something enlightening but that's about it :/

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

How big is your screen? Were you comparing by using a game with a lot of on-screen movement?

With big, modern TVs, I don't know how people can't eventually spot the difference the problem. And it really is a problem: playing games at 30FPS on the big screen is a slideshow the moment the camera has to move, and the eyestrain is instant and severe. Wasn't an issue back in the days of 20" CRTs or early blur-fest plasmas/LCDs, but if you've updated your screen in the last 5+ years with anything but the most bargain-basement panel on the market, I don't know how you aren't in regular agony.

I don't think it's so much if you can't see a difference moreso than you care about it. 30 FPS doesn't bother me as much as many others in the PC gaming community because I don't really care about it as much. That doesn't mean I won't tweak with my settings to get something faster, but if I'm stuck at 30 FPS, I'm not going to complain. Some genres don't really need that high of a frame rate to play reasonably well anyway.

9 hours ago, Aetheria said:

How big is your screen? Were you comparing by using a game with a lot of on-screen movement?

With big, modern TVs, I don't know how people can't eventually spot the difference the problem. And it really is a problem: playing games at 30FPS on the big screen is a slideshow the moment the camera has to move, and the eyestrain is instant and severe. Wasn't an issue back in the days of 20" CRTs or early blur-fest plasmas/LCDs, but if you've updated your screen in the last 5+ years with anything but the most bargain-basement panel on the market, I don't know how you aren't in regular agony.

Actually I have a theory about that.  Most TVs these days have the ability to do frame interpolation, and by default, it's usually turned on.  This would mean any 30 fps content would (most of the time) be "upscaled" to 60 fps if you're using even a semi-modern TV, and speaking from experience (as a watcher, not a player), it really does work amazingly well.  There's the odd visual artifact, but it's rare.  Other than that, (again, at least as a watcher, not necessarily as a player) I'd say it's as good as the real thing.  Only issue is when games dip significantly below 30 and it shuts off due to not enough information to work with.  For this reason you could think you're seeing 30, and not be able to tell the difference between "30" and 60, because you are actually seeing 60.

As an interesting aside, it's made me wonder if the whole "30 vs 60 fps", "console vs PC wars" of years past weren't potentially just a huge misunderstanding.  PC people would say 30 is unusable and you need 60, and, knowing consoles were often 30, would declare that, by extension, consoles are unusable garbage.  Console people would say, seeing that their games look fine and smooth, and knowing too that consoles run at 30, that 30 must be fine, and they can't tell the difference.  PC people think they're stupid and insane, and so it goes.  I propose the explanation that (potentially), console people actually were seeing 60 too all along due to interpolation and this detail was just never brought up (which I find strange because it is a big deal and yet rarely if ever talked about).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

it really does work amazingly well.

Aside from the massive input latency. Interpolation delays the image to add a bunch of 'virtual' intermediary frames. You're looking at between ~11-33ms (11ms before you see some of the current frame's data, 33ms before you see the full frame) for the roughly 3:1 interpolation we're talking about, on top of the image processing time, other post-processing effects, the basic panel latency, etc.

Also, modern consoles rarely if ever modeset, and output a 30FPS game at 60Hz, which makes the TV's interpolation wonky. I've not seen a Samsung, LG, or Sony TV which can handle this well. Have this problem presently with my HTPC: Nvidia drivers aren't working with the last couple of Win10 releases properly when you try to output anything below 60Hz (and other problems), so when watching movies I'm either stuck with stuttery 23.97Hz->100Hz interpolation thanks to MS/Nvidia not being able to output a steady 23.97Hz, or really uneven motion when letting the PC/media player pull from 23.97 to 60Hz, with the TV handling 60Hz->100Hz interpolation.

I assume most people have the basic sense to turn on 'game mode' for their console or HTPC's input, which disables interpolation. Even using a gamepad, which hides a fair bit of input lag, games are super rubber-bandy with it turned on. I can't imagine many people are playing fighting games or a Souls game and not noticing the lag. I'm a big proponent of 100Hz interpolation for watching movies and TV, but it is horrid for games.

Aside from the massive input latency. Interpolation delays the image to add a bunch of 'virtual' intermediary frames. You're looking at between ~11-33ms (11ms before you see some of the current frame's data, 33ms before you see the full frame) for the roughly 3:1 interpolation we're talking about, on top of the image processing time, other post-processing effects, the basic panel latency, etc.

yes I'm very aware of this, that's why I made it clear I was reviewing from the perspective of a watcher, not a player, so lag doesn't matter because I'm not making inputs.  However, if the opinion of the person I was watching is worth anything, that still isn't reason enough to invalidate the tech.  While he said the extra lag was noticeable, it was worth it to get 60 fps over 30.  I guess that's testament to how annoying 30 is xD 

Also, modern consoles rarely if ever modeset, and output a 30FPS game at 60Hz, which makes the TV's interpolation wonky. I've not seen a Samsung, LG, or Sony TV which can handle this well. Have this problem presently with my HTPC: Nvidia drivers aren't working with the last couple of Win10 releases properly when you try to output anything below 60Hz (and other problems), so when watching movies I'm either stuck with stuttery 23.97Hz->100Hz interpolation thanks to MS/Nvidia not being able to output a steady 23.97Hz, or really uneven motion when letting the PC/media player pull from 23.97 to 60Hz, with the TV handling 60Hz->100Hz interpolation.

Interesting.  Well, maybe our TV is special then, or maybe the Wii U does it properly.  Either way it worked well *shrug*

I assume most people have the basic sense to turn on 'game mode' for their console or HTPC's input, which disables interpolation. Even using a gamepad, which hides a fair bit of input lag, games are super rubber-bandy with it turned on. I can't imagine many people are playing fighting games or a Souls game and not noticing the lag. I'm a big proponent of 100Hz interpolation for watching movies and TV, but it is horrid for games.

I would love to feel the same way but I just can't.  My advice would be to never assume people have the basic sense to do anything, no matter how obvious it may seem, especially when it comes to tech.