Disable laptop 960m and prevent it from drawing power AT ALL?

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,

See if the BIOS has option to disable dGPU (mine has this feature)

hey guys, first time on the forum even though ive been watching ltt vids for a few years now.

recently, i spilled water over my laptop, i got it repaired, however the repair shop wasnt able to source an original battery, so i just ran the laptop plugged in without a lot of issues.

unfortunately, the 130 watt power brick cable broke, so to continue using my laptop, i had to plug in an underpowered 65watt one, this wouldnt be an issue if i had a battery, in which case it would simply drain my battery under load.

using an underpowered charger without a battery causes my cpu to throttle below the base speed, sitting at 0.64ghz max, which is way below the 2.30 base frequency.

since the i5-6300hq is a 45 watt chip, is it possible to completely disable the 960m and stop it from using any power at all, so that the mere 65 watts that the charger provides is enough for my cpu and its integrated graphics?

i do know that the screen and speakers and such do consume their own power, but wouldnt the remaining 20watts be enough for them?

do i know nothing about power consumption and electronics?

is this something that is possible and if it is, will it allow my processor to atleast reach its base speed?

Just get an aftermarket battery

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

come on, i asked if its possible to stop my gpu from drawing any power at all, and yes i DO know that getting a battery or fixing the cable would also solve the problem, only 1 response has been somewhat useful

See if the BIOS has option to disable dGPU (mine has this feature)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128