cpu overheating

Go to solution Solved by jiyeon,
23 minutes ago, vilobike said:

idle its usually 41 c

That's a little hot, ideally idle temps should be averaging 30-35.

This could be a lot of things:
• Too high voltage on the CPU
• Incorrect cooler mounting

• Lack/Excess thermal compound application

You could also set the fan curve of your cooler to be more aggressive in lower temps, it's a nice way to get some more performance out of your cooler and also keep your CPU at optimal temperatures.

im a little bit at a loss 2 days ago i finally built my first propper gaming pc whit be quiet gear but my cpu seems to be running to hot when i game 81 celcius however when i use intels stress test it only goes up to 75 70 average idle its usually 41 c average is this normal should i do something to get my temps lower?

its a intel i7 8700k my cooler is a dark rock pro 4

any advice? sorry for my bad english

Do you have other case fans installed? Which GPU do you have (and blower or open air cooler)? Ambient temp?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

ambient temps are 24 celcius i have 3 case fans 2 front blowing in 1 exhausting in the back behind the cpu cooler i have a gtx 1080 gaming x its an open air cooler 

mmm I suggest to instal again the cpu cooler, you put enough termal paste? I have a friend that has mounted a nhd15 and in games with a 8700k/1080 max 65-66º

Maybe its mount maybe you have factory oc'ed your cpu, (maybe you have like 1,35v constantly on your cpu like oc'ed) , those 2 things are the most common, disable all oc on bios and look for any silent fan config, but if I where you first ensure that you mounted your cpu well... (Even the pro's check that if they had the same problem as you)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

in hardwaremonitor it seems to never go above 1.31 volts  and the cpu does have a factory boost clock of 4.7 i think but ill try and reintall the cooler first thank you 

23 minutes ago, vilobike said:

idle its usually 41 c

That's a little hot, ideally idle temps should be averaging 30-35.

This could be a lot of things:
• Too high voltage on the CPU
• Incorrect cooler mounting

• Lack/Excess thermal compound application

You could also set the fan curve of your cooler to be more aggressive in lower temps, it's a nice way to get some more performance out of your cooler and also keep your CPU at optimal temperatures.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

i went into my bios and turned my cpu coolers fan curve up way higher and whit the stress test seems to be 5 celcius better a fair bit louder now but worth it my last pc got ruined becuase of constant overheating if it gets any worse ill reinstall the cooler thanks for the help