COMPLICATED First workstation vor video editing, streaming, gaming and other stuff

Go to solution Solved by MatteoX10,
54 minutes ago, somewittyaccountname said:

1) yes

2) 1080 amp!

3)i think it's for better stability

4)yes 

40 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on how much you want to spend, but you want get away with a b450 board if you want to save a buck(you don't need dual pcie slots from the cpu or lots of sata it seems)

something like this would work fine https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B450-AORUS-Thermal-Motherboard/dp/B07FWY246F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533844453&sr=8-3&keywords=amd+b450&dpID=51aMzkZwakL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

7 minutes ago, brob said:

It is okay although the Cryorig H7 is slightly better. But the 2700X comes with a fairly good cooler. I'd suggest using it initially. Upgrade if and when you decide it's not good enough for your needs.

Thank you all !!! You made me save about 210€ that I could waste on something that  I don't even need!

So, I recently needed to get a powerful pc for all kinds of pourpouses (gaming while streaming, video editing, running a virtual machine...). My laptop will never be able to sustain all that stuff.

I came up with this build:                                    (I need a lot of help with this)

CPU:AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 3.8GHz

MOBO:AsRock x399 Taichi ATX

COOLER:Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3200mhz

GPU:Zotac Ge Force GTX 1080 Amp! Edition 8 Gb Vram OR a 1080 Mini also from Zotac.

PSU:Corsair HX1000 1000w 80+ platinum

STORAGE:A 240gb SSD that I already have and a 500 gb SSD

CASE:Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Tinted tempered glass

An extra Arctic MX-2 8g of thermal paste and 2 cooler master's universal white magnetic led strips.

In the future I'm sure that I'll upgrade the CPU, the cooler, the storage and probably add a second 1080 and three extra fans.

The questions are:

Can I overclock the CPU with that cooler?

Wich graphics card should I choose between those two?

On the mobo do I have to plug in the extra 4 pin slot for power?

Is this a balanced build?

why 1900x? It doesn't really make sense here, get a 2700x or a 1920x or higher. You aren't useing the extra lanes or ram.

1000w psu is a bit overkill, but works fine.

Yep you can oc with that cooler.

You don't need the extra 4 pin, the 1900x really isn't that power hungry, but don't get it.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why 1900x? It doesn't really make sense here, get a 2700x or a 1920x or higher. You aren't useing the extra lanes or ram

At the moment I don't have the budget to get a 1920x(I know that it doesn't make a lot of sense), but I will upgrade it in the future, this is an entry level build.9_9

Just now, MatteoX10 said:

At the moment I don't have the budget to get a 1920x(I know that it doesn't make a lot of sense), but I will upgrade it in the future, this is an entry level build.9_9

Then id get a 2700x for now. It should do all of what you have listed, then get the newer platform in a few years when things like ddr5 is out.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then id get a 2700x for now. It should do all of what you have listed, then get the newer platform in a few years when things like ddr5 is out.

Ok I'll go For the 2700x, what motherboard should I get for the same price as the Taichi? Or a little lower if possible ?  ( I have to buy everything on amazon)

Ok I'll go For the 2700x, what motherboard should I get for the same price as the Taichi? Or a little lower if possible ?  ( I have to buy everything on amazon)

Depends on how much you want to spend, but you want get away with a b450 board if you want to save a buck(you don't need dual pcie slots from the cpu or lots of sata it seems)

something like this would work fine https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B450-AORUS-Thermal-Motherboard/dp/B07FWY246F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533844453&sr=8-3&keywords=amd+b450&dpID=51aMzkZwakL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

What about this one?

https://www.amazon.it/Asrock-X470-Taichi-Promontory-Socket/dp/B07C1Z4RMT/ref=sr_1_21?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1533844925&sr=1-21&keywords=am4+atx

I need the integrated wifi, and I'm probably going to add the second gpu before of the CPU upgrade.

And, If ryzen 7 works fine, I can even renounce to upgrade it, so I need a good motherboard.

6 minutes ago, MatteoX10 said:

Upgrading cpu is very rarely a cost effective move. Get the best you can afford now and worry about upgrading when it's time.

I'd suggest a 2700X. Depending on the video editing software being used, an i7-8700K might be a better option.

A 1000W psu is close to three times more capacity than needed. Even allowing for another gpu an 850W RMx or Focus Plus Gold should be quite sufficient

The HX1000 is 180mm long. Longer than the 175mm Fractal Design recommended maximum length for the Meshify C.

BTW, why a second gpu?

8g of thermal compound is enough for at least a dozen applications. It's not really needed because the NH-U14S comes with a tube of Noctua compound.

The NH-U14S is not really appropriate for a Threadripper cpu. Should you stick to that cpu, get the NH-U14S TR4-SP3. It is designed for use with the much larger surface of Threadripper.

If you stick with Threadripper, the memory kit should be 4x4GB (quad channel). With a 2700X use a 2x8GB kit (dual channel).

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, brob said:

Upgrading cpu is very rarely a cost effective move. Get the best you can afford now and worry about upgrading when it's time.

I'd suggest a 2700X. Depending on the video editing software being used, an i7-8700K might be a better option.

A 1000W psu is close to three times more capacity than needed. Even allowing for another gpu an 850W RMx or Focus Plus Gold should be quite sufficient

The HX1000 is 180mm long. Longer than the 175mm Fractal Design recommended maximum length for the Meshify C.

BTW, why a second gpu?

8g of thermal compound is enough for at least a dozen applications. It's not really needed because the NH-U14S comes with a tube of Noctua compound.

The NH-U14S is not really appropriate for a Threadripper cpu. Should you stick to that cpu, get the NH-U14S TR4-SP3. It is designed for use with the much larger surface of Threadripper.

If you stick with Threadripper, the memory kit should be 4x4GB (quad channel). With a 2700X use a 2x8GB kit (dual channel).

I will stay with ryzen 7 2700x and not upgrade it since now I see that seems the best choice. I will probably take the power supply you suggested and dont get the extra thermal paste If the cooler comes with a tube or some preapplied one. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, MatteoX10 said:

Is a Be Quiet! BK021 Air cooler good for the 2700x?

It is okay although the Cryorig H7 is slightly better. But the 2700X comes with a fairly good cooler. I'd suggest using it initially. Upgrade if and when you decide it's not good enough for your needs.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

54 minutes ago, somewittyaccountname said:

1) yes

2) 1080 amp!

3)i think it's for better stability

4)yes 

40 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

7 minutes ago, brob said:

Thank you all !!! You made me save about 210€ that I could waste on something that  I don't even need!

Aaand... the final build is:

Ryzen 7 2700x 

Ryzen stock cooler

An AM4 motherboard that ranges from 150€ to 250€

Ram 16gb Corsair vengeance LPX black

Zotax Gtx 1080 Amp! Edition

Crucial 500gb Sata SSD and an extra 240 gb ssd

Corsair RM850X 80+ gold

Fractal Design Meshify C

three or two Noctua black Fans and two corsair white led stripes

40 minutes ago, MatteoX10 said:

Aaand... the final build is:

Ryzen 7 2700x 

Ryzen stock cooler

An AM4 motherboard that ranges from 150€ to 250€

Ram 16gb Corsair vengeance LPX black

Zotax Gtx 1080 Amp! Edition

Crucial 500gb Sata SSD and an extra 240 gb ssd

Corsair RM850X 80+ gold

Fractal Design Meshify C

three or two Noctua black Fans and two corsair white led stripes

If you're still looking at X470 boards in that price bracket, then I recommend the ASRock Taichi (most expensive), ASRock Fatality (middle of price bracket), or Gigabyte Aorus Ultra (lowest price, still great value) boards.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

13 minutes ago, Phentos said:

If you're still looking at X470 boards in that price bracket, then I recommend the ASRock Taichi (most expensive), ASRock Fatality (middle of price bracket), or Gigabyte Aorus Ultra (lowest price, still great value) boards.

The Taichi was exactly what I had in mind! Please keep in mind that my build will be all black with white LEDs. This time I won't probably consider other LED colors.

The Taichi was exactly what I had in mind! Please keep in mind that my build will be all black with white LEDs. This time I won't probably consider other LED colors.

Oh,and RGB is still good, ill set them to white

10 minutes ago, MatteoX10 said:

Oh,and RGB is still good, ill set them to white

RGB makes your PC run faster though.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

7 minutes ago, Phentos said:

RGB makes your PC run faster though.

I know, with RGB I get a 53% performance boost in every task, but this time i'll stick with white and stilish stuff