4ghz AMD 8350 vs current gen Ryzen 4gz CPU

I'm currently still running an Vishera 8 core 8350 clocked at 4ghz. As I understand for the purpose of gaming 4ghz is 4ghz rather its 4 year old CPU or a new top of the line ryzen.

Besides a lower power draw on new cpu's and larger on chip caches, for gaming is there any point of upgrading?

there is!

IPC is WAY better on Ryzen

allso the Vishare is not a "real" 8 core becasue manny stuf is shared between 2 cores.

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Just now, Metallus97 said:

there is!

IPC?

Ryzen at 4GHz destroyes FX8350 at 4GHz with no regard for CPU life.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

2 minutes ago, Scary said:

IPC?

Instructions per cycle. So how much a CPU can do with just one clock cycle. For instance, when one CPU can do 100 tasks in one cycle, and another one can do 1000, even at the same clock speed, the other CPU is significantly faster.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

InstructionsPerClock.

This tells you how many operations your CPU can do per Clock.

A lil math: 4,0GHz = 4000000000Hz = 4*^0^9 Clocks per Second

IPC now tells you how many work/calcultions can be done in one of this clocks ;)

Ryzen is about 40% more IPC compared to your FX and has "more" cores becasue they are true cores AND it support "hyperthreading" (I forgot how thats called in AMD terms )

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

(I forgot how thats called in AMD terms )

Do you mean Multi-Threading by any chance? To be exact I think it's called simultaneous multi threadiung

Just now, ZeouLs said:

Do you mean Multi-Threading by any chance?

yeha i goggled: Simultaneous MultiThreading  is what AMD calls it

19 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

InstructionsPerClock.

This tells you how manny operations your CPU can do per Clock.

A lil math: 4,0GHz = 4000000000Hz = 4*^0^9 Clocks per Second

IPC now tells you how anny work/calcultions can be done in one of this clocks ;)

Ryzen is about 40% more IPC compared to your FX and has "more" cores becasue they are true cores AND it support "hyperthreading" (I forgot how thats called in AMD terms )

Ah thx for the clarification! Normally im really up on this tech stuff but I built my last rig (wife would let me lol) 4 years ago before my baby was born and figured with these new ryzen chips still clocked at what I had 4 years ago it was pointless lol

1510365464339.jpg

14 minutes ago, Scary said:

Ah thx for the clarification! Normally im really up on this tech stuff but I built my last rig?wife would let me lol) 4 years ago before my baby was born and figured with these new ryzen chips still clocked at what I had 4 years ago it was pointless lol

Congats to your doughter ;) Verry sweet.

But there existed pentiums/Athlons who reaced 4Ghz and above. Due to super low IPC there garbage today :D

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Congats to your doughter ;) Verry sweet.

But there existed pentiums/Athlons who reaced 4Ghz and above. DUde to super low IPC there garbage today :D

Thx ?  Shes my world!! But now I may have a reason to upgrade thx to you guys?? Can I blame ya'll when the wife complains lol!? Btw what happened to 5ghz CPU's? Moores law? Did they just give up upping the clock speeds?

3 minutes ago, Scary said:

Btw what happened to 5ghz CPU's? Moores law? Did they just give up upping the clock speeds?

Increasing the number of cores and improving the architecture yield better performance at the moment than trying to just cram higher clocks.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, Scary said:

Thx ?  Shes my world!! But now I may have a reason to upgrade thx to you guys?? Can I blame ya'll when the wife complains lol!? Btw what happened to 5ghz CPU's? Moores law? Did they just give up upping the clock speeds?

There are chips you can OC to 5Ghz. But at some point power usage / heat generation then becomes a problem and there are other things to improve in CPU wich jield more real world performance compared to just tha GHZZZZZ

Just now, WereCatf said:

Increasing the number of cores and improving the architecture yield better performance at the moment than trying to just cram higher clocks.

Ah I see. It was so strange still seeing the same speeds 4 years later, also seems forums have gotten more friendly since then. Can't believe no one has cussed me out or called me a noob yet. ?

Just now, Scary said:

Ah I see. It was so strange still seeing the same speeds 4 years later, also seems forums have gotten more friendly since then. Can't believe no one has cussed me out or called me a noob yet. ?

Nah... thats our job to help. In gereanl the athmosphere here is verry nice. Just DONT bring up AMD vs Intel / AMD vs Nvidea :P

1 minute ago, Scary said:

Well, if it helps you feel more at home, I could always come up with some insults to toss at you! ^_^

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well, if it helps you feel more at home, I could always come up with some insults to toss at you! ^_^

LOL no thx i'm good ?. I notice new CPU have more cache as well. Does that help a lot with gaming? ?

Let me tell you when I came from the FX series to the Ryzen 3 then to the Ryzen 5 series. Ryzen has greater performance overall and hands down beats out the FX series in many ways than one. It's pretty sad that the FX series could've been something special if only they had better IPC, which was their downfall for the FX series. Now that Ryzen also brought down prices and competition Ryzen is not only better but also cheaper and more efficient. 

If you got Amazon Prime Ryzen chips are nearly 60$ to 50$ off. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

4 minutes ago, Scary said:

LOL no thx i'm good ?. I notice new CPU have more cache as well. Does that help a lot with gaming? ?

Yeha cache has to fit to the speed and corecount so it can ceep the CPUs feed with stuf to crunch.

4 minutes ago, Scary said:

Not that much, no. It does help, but not really enough to care about. That said, if your workload was e.g. database-stuff or something, then cache would have a much bigger effect.

12 minutes ago, Scary said:

It was so strange still seeing the same speeds 4 years later

To go back a bit in this topic, I thought I'd try to explain this with a simplified example.

Let's say you have two CPUs, both running at 5Hz, and one was 8-bit and the other, newer one was 32-bit. Then imagine that they were both tasked with moving 1000 bytes from one place to another; the 8-bit CPU can only transfer one byte per clock-cycle, so at 5Hz it can transfer 5 bytes per second and the task would take it 200 seconds. The newer, 32-bit CPU, while it runs at the exact same speed, can transfer 4 bytes per second, so it only needs 50 seconds for the same task!

As you can see, fiddling with how the CPUs do things internally or how many cycles one or another "command" takes, can have a huge effect on the overall-speed, even if the number of cycles per second stays the same, and that's why the newer CPUs are so much faster than your old FX-one.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

To go back a bit in this topic, I thought I'd try to explain this with a simplified example.

Let's say you have two CPUs, both running at 5Hz, and one was 8-bit and the other, newer one was 32-bit. Then imagine that they were both tasked with moving 1000 bytes from one place to another; the 8-bit CPU can only transfer one byte per clock-cycle, so at 5Hz it can transfer 5 bytes per second and the task would take it 200 seconds. The newer, 32-bit CPU, while it runs at the exact same speed, can transfer 4 bytes per second, so it only needs 50 seconds for the same task!

As you can see, fiddling with how the CPUs do things internally or how many cycles one or another "command" takes, can have a huge effect on the overall-speed, even if the number of cycles per second stays the same, and that's why the newer CPUs are so much faster than your old FX-one.

Ah I see good illustration! Maybe this will help with some of the stuttering, hangs and frame drops I get in some my favorite games 

3 minutes ago, Scary said:

Ah I see good illustration! Maybe this will help with some of the stuttering, hangs and frame drops I get in some my favorite games 

wich GPU are you running?

3 hours ago, Scary said:

I'm currently still running an Vishera 8 core 8350 clocked at 4ghz. As I understand for the purpose of gaming 4ghz is 4ghz rather its 4 year old CPU or a new top of the line ryzen.

Besides a lower power draw on new cpu's and larger on chip caches, for gaming is there any point of upgrading?

Yes, Ryzen is way better than Vishera because of lack of optimization for Vishera.

And Vishera really needs special optimization because its so different.

Ryzen is closer to a "normal" CPU like a Phenom, K8 or the other Side.

3 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

there is!

allso the Vishare is not a "real" 8 core becasue manny stuf is shared between 2 cores.

Vishera Is a real 8 Core because back in the Day a CPU was just an Int Cluster. So you can say it is 8 Cores.

That the FPU is shared doesn't matter. The Scheduler is more important. And sadly AMD didn't port the Excavator Changes back to AM3 because those had ne Scheduler for the Int Excecution thingy.

The FPU sin't that old and was integrated in the CPU over 10 years after the initial 8086 processor.

Remember that thing is 40 Years old....

There are no true or false cores. They are or they aren't.

Ant the Official, Neutral Term for that is SMT -> Simultaneous Multi Threading. That Intel Thing is just a Marketing/PR Bullshit Name for this technologiy that is used widely in Server Processors.

There are also SMT-4 and SMT-8 Implementations. ie 4/8 Threads per Core.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"