Upgrading GPU soon. Stick with 1440p or go to 4K?

Hakiroto

Hi, everyone,

I’m looking for some advice. I currently have a Zotac 980 Ti AMP! Extreme, Hero VIII board, 6700K @ 4.6 GHz, H110i AIO cooler, 16 GB 3000 MHz system. It’s been rock solid for 2 years now and it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it really well at 1440p. That said, I feel like it might be time to upgrade the GPU and with the 1180 on the horizon I have a decision to make.

I have the Acer XB271HU monitor (27”, 1440p, G-SYNC, IPS, 165 Hz) and I love it but I have 4K in the back of my mind as I have a 60 Hz 27” LG 4K screen I use for work with my MacBook.

Here’s the question: would you just upgrade the GPU (to an 1180) and stick with high frame rate 1440p gaming or would you sell that monitor and go for 4K gaming? On one hand, 4K is beautiful and with the next-generation cards I imagine we’ll finally have the 4K / 60 dream with AAA games. On the other hand, though, with a card like that I imagine I’d be able to play all new games maxed out at the high refresh rate of my current monitor (at 1440p) and keep G-SYNC, etc. 4K G-SYNC monitors are crazy expensive so it’s out of the question for now.

Thoughts and advice welcome. Thanks!

You can always supersample a 4K verfsion of it if u really wanted to play with those kind of details :D

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

10 minutes ago, TorturedMoon said:

Hi, everyone,

I’m looking for some advice. I currently have a Zotac 980 Ti AMP! Extreme, Hero VIII board, 6700K @ 4.6 GHz, H110i AIO cooler, 16 GB 3000 MHz system. It’s been rock solid for 2 years now and it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it really well at 1440p. That said, I feel like it might be time to upgrade the GPU and with the 1180 on the horizon I have a decision to make.

I have the Acer XB271HU monitor (27”, 1440p, G-SYNC, IPS, 165 Hz) and I love it but I have 4K in the back of my mind as I have a 60 Hz 27” LG 4K screen I use for work with my MacBook.

Here’s the question: would you just upgrade the GPU (to an 1180) and stick with high frame rate 1440p gaming or would you sell that monitor and go for 4K gaming? On one hand, 4K is beautiful and with the next-generation cards I imagine we’ll finally have the 4K / 60 dream with AAA games. On the other hand, though, with a card like that I imagine I’d be able to play all new games maxed out at the high refresh rate of my current monitor (at 1440p) and keep G-SYNC, etc. 4K G-SYNC monitors are crazy expensive so it’s out of the question for now.

Thoughts and advice welcome. Thanks!

There are no good 4k gaming monitors out yet below 2.000 $. If you hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhudget you can get one from ASUS but if not, I'd rather say don't buy anything yet and just wait a year or so.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions so far. I totally get that it makes sense to stick with 1440p on the great monitor. Playing AAA games with my current setup I’ve typically been anywhere from 50-100 FPS, depending on the game, so with an 1180 I might finally be able to experience max settings at a high frame rate.