Electrical Fluctuation Causing Bad Router Performance

RedbiT

Hey Guys,

So I have a D-link DSL-2790U  modem/router at home. My internet connection is ADSL,  i.e I plug in a  phone line in the router... etc. (I can provide more info about configs if needed). 

My main issue is lag. I have a decent connection speed, 12 Mbps. At this speed, my connection shouldn't break a sweat whenever someone else is using the internet (even just browsing light pages ie low bandwidth usage would cause lots of packet loss and high latency on a wired connection!). I once realized that when I use the clothes iron which is plugged in an outlet close to where my router is plugged, I start noticing clear packet loss (mainly when I activate the steam function button on the iron). I would also get the most lag when someone else in the household is uploading files on the internet. My theory is that the electricity in my house is not as stable as I think, and when it fluctuates, it's causing some issues in the throughput of my modem/router.

Is this a valid claim? How can I assert it? And finally, how can I fix it?

P.S: I live in a third world country with pretty bad infrastructure.

You should contact your ISP and explain that you're experiencing heavy packet-loss and they should inspect it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Sounds like internal wiring. I am a DSL engineer and the tech is highly susceptible to interference, especially power. If you have phone lines in your walls that run parallel to the power than you are going to have a bad day. Calling your ISP will not help. 

Easiest and cheapest way to find the problem quick is to grab an AM radio and scan though 500mhz-900mhz. When you hear a lot of static that interference is enough to fuck with the line.  

Could you try a different clothes iron maybe?  Could just be that one that is especially noisy, or do other high current devices in the same socket also cause issues?

I have an AC unit plugged into the same surge strip of as my DSL, it never caused any issues.  But then UK wiring is quite different to other countries and the phone wiring is several feet away.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thanks for your awesome replies. What I'll try is to get a multimeter and log if there's a difference between the fluctuation in electrical fluctuation and internet throughput. Does anyone know what kind of data could I log/What experiments I could do?