Hi everyone! 

I'm planning out my frist build and would like some feedback in regards to a possible Intel or Amd build. Would you say that these two build are comparable? If there are any other remarks on either build or another possible build feel free to share.

Team Blue:

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600 3.1GHz 6-Core Processor  (€214.90 @ Caseking) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€34.90 @ Caseking) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€116.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (€167.72 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€88.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€54.00) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  (€407.94 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  (€89.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€84.90 @ Caseking) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (€129.99) 
Total: €1389.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-04 11:29 CEST+0200

Team Red:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (€154.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€109.90 @ Caseking) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (€167.72 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€88.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€54.00) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  (€407.94 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  (€89.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€84.90 @ Caseking) 
Total: €1287.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-04 11:32 CEST+0200

Thanks in advance!

PS: The choice of parts was discussed in this thread.

Edit: Will be used for all the basic stuff and gaming, not for streaming or editing.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX - Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 Super - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 C16 @3600 MHz - ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB - Corsair SF 600W 80+ Platinum - Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P White

11 minutes ago, Lord Blue of Screenshire said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm planning out my frist build and would like some feedback in regards to a possible Intel or Amd build. Would you say that these two build are comparable? If there are any other remarks on either build or another possible build feel free to share.

Team blue:

Hide contents

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600 3.1GHz 6-Core Processor  (€214.90 @ Caseking) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€34.90 @ Caseking) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€116.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1389.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-04 11:29 CEST+0200

Team Red:

Hide contents

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (€154.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€109.90 @ Caseking) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 
Total: €1157.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-04 11:31 CEST+0200

Thanks in advance!

PS: The choice of parts was discussed in this thread.

Comparable in what?

The Ryzen build is way better for Gaming AND Streaming at the same time.

The Intel build gets a slight edge in just gaming but not by much.

The Intel build gets a large edge when doing work in Adobe Premiere Pro since that particular software can get a huge advantage from the iGPU but in other video rendering software you are most likely better with the Ryzen since it has 6 extra threads.

The Ryzen can be overclocked, the Intel can't.

You should pick a bit more expensive 3000MHz/3200MHz RAM for the Ryzen system since it can benefit a lot from a faster RAM speeds (Samsung B-die is recommended).

Ryzen system seems to be quite cheaper which may even allow you to go from 1070ti to 1080ti (almost).

And that B450 AM4 ASUS Prime motherboard is an absolute trash.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/4D7v6h/msi-x470-gaming-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-plus

This one is more expensive (still overpriced like the ASUS one) but it is better in the sense that it is good enough for overclocking a 6-core.

I am not a pc expert, but I watched a large amount of reviews, and I would go with ryzen, and some 3000+MHz ram

Gaming pc: CPU(AMD Ryzen 5 1600), MOBO(MSI B450M Bazooka), RAM(DDR4 2x8GB 2666MHz Kingston Fury Black), STORAGE(120GB WD Green SSD , 1TB WD Blue HDD), GPU(incoming), PSU(incoming), CASE(Nzxt h400i)

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

Comparable in what?

Good remark, edited the original post. It will only be used for basic stuff and gaming, not for editing/streaming.

You should pick a bit more expensive 3000MHz/3200MHz RAM for the Ryzen system since it can benefit a lot from a faster RAM speeds (Samsung B-die is recommended).

Ryzen system seems to be quite cheaper which may even allow you to go from 1070ti to 1080ti (almost).

Ok, should I go for 3000MHz at € 182 or the 3200MHZ at € 202? (I stick with the same RAM sticks because of the theme of the build.) The intel build can use the 2666MHz RAM then?

And that B450 AM4 ASUS Prime motherboard is an absolute trash.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/4D7v6h/msi-x470-gaming-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-plus

This one is more expensive (still overpriced like the ASUS one) but it is better in the sense that it is good enough for overclocking a 6-core.

I'm actually not planning on overclocking, is the Asus board good enough then? Why is it trash?

Just surfed to AMD's website. It only supports two sticks of RAM at 3000MHz max?

Knipsel.PNG

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX - Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070 Super - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 C16 @3600 MHz - ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB - Corsair SF 600W 80+ Platinum - Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P White

2 hours ago, Lord Blue of Screenshire said:

Good remark, edited the original post. It will only be used for basic stuff and gaming, not for editing/streaming.

Ok, should I go for 3000MHz at € 182 or the 3200MHZ at € 202? (I stick with the same RAM sticks because of the theme of the build.) The intel build can use the 2666MHz RAM then?

I'm actually not planning on overclocking, is the Asus board good enough then? Why is it trash?

Thanks for your help!

Its trash because its one of the lowest-end motherboards ASUS makes.

Its literaly the same as the cheapest ASUS B450 motherboard you can find on PCPP and the only change to it is that it is ATX instead of mATX and has a VRM "heatsink" that is absolutely useless because its just a thin piece of aluminium.

And for this reason alone, your CPU may not boost as high on its own as on the better motherboards because the VRM will get so hot that the CPU will have to downclock.

2 hours ago, Lord Blue of Screenshire said:

Just surfed to AMD's website. It only supports two sticks of RAM at 3000MHz max?

2933MHz is officialy supported and anything above that is considered an OC.

Get the 3000MHz kit, no point paying 20€ extra for 200MHz on the 3200MHz kit.

Channels 2 = DualChannel.

That doesent mean you can use only two RAM sticks, that means that you can run the RAM in DualChannel for double the bandwidth.

8 minutes ago, Lord Blue of Screenshire said:

No, it supports only dual-channel. That's not the same thing as the amount of RAM-sticks you can use. The channels are about how many RAM-devices the system can use simultaneously for data-transfers, with dual-channel has been pretty common for a decade already, and yes, you can still use 4 RAM-sticks with it. I have a i7-system with 6 slots for RAM and it can do dual-channel.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Its trash because its one of the lowest-end motherboards ASUS makes.

Its literaly the same as the cheapest ASUS B450 motherboard you can find on PCPP and the only change to it is that it is ATX instead of mATX and has a VRM "heatsink" that is absolutely useless because its just a thin piece of aluminium.

And for this reason alone, your CPU may not boost as high on its own as on the better motherboards because the VRM will get so hot that the CPU will have to downclock.

Ok, understood :p. I'm building a black/white themed pc so may I suggest some boards?

Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING

MSI - X370 KRAIT GAMING (although the font they used is absolutely hideous)

Asus - PRIME X370-PRO

Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING 

Gigabyte - GA-AX370-GAMING 5

2933MHz is officialy supported and anything above that is considered an OC.

Get the 3000MHz kit, no point paying 20€ extra for 200MHz on the 3200MHz kit.

Channels 2 = DualChannel.

That doesent mean you can use only two RAM sticks, that means that you can run the RAM in DualChannel for double the bandwidth.

So ifI down the line I want to upgrade to 32GB of RAM I could just add two more 8GB sticks without any problem? (As long as they're the same MHz?)

1 minute ago, Lord Blue of Screenshire said:

So ifI down the line I want to upgrade to 32GB of RAM I could just add two more 8GB sticks without any problem? (As long as they're the same MHz?)

There are sometimes weird incompatibilities between RAM-sticks, but in general, yes. The i7 I mentioned, for example, consists of a random selection of RAM-sticks, all from different manufacturers and different speeds, too. I hear Ryzen is a bit pickier, so if you do decide to upgrade in the future, it might be a good idea to try to match the sticks you already have.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

I hear Ryzen is a bit pickier, so if you do decide to upgrade in the future, it might be a good idea to try to match the sticks you already have.

I mean ofc, aesthetics man ;)

4 minutes ago, Lord Blue of Screenshire said:

Ok, understood :p. I'm building a black/white themed pc so may I suggest some boards?

Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING

MSI - X370 KRAIT GAMING (although the font they used is absolutely hideous)

Asus - PRIME X370-PRO

Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING 

Gigabyte - GA-AX370-GAMING 5

Some of these boards are OK but most of them are B350/X370 which means that you may not able to boot at all unless you update the BIOS first for which you need a 1000 series Ryzen CPU first.

So the only acceptable choice from your selection seems to be the ASUS Strix B450 which is literaly the same motherboard as the ASUS Prime B450 you selected before but with a bigger VRM heatsing + RGB + more expensive. Personaly, I would not recommend anyone to buy this board but it should be allright for non-OC R5 2600.

That said, the MSI board I posted previously is the cheapest Ryzen 2 compatible board I can recommend but it does not match your colour theme so... its up to you.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Some of these boards are OK but most of them are B350/X370 which means that you may not able to boot at all unless you update the BIOS first for which you need a 1000 series Ryzen CPU first.

What kind of BS is this? I thought the AM4 socket was meant to have a great upgrade path?!?

5 minutes ago, Lord Blue of Screenshire said:

What kind of BS is this? I thought the AM4 socket was meant to have a great upgrade path?!?

Its not BS. The upgrade path is there but you need to have the BIOS that supports the CPU first.

That board was made WAY before the new CPUs were released so there is no way that it could support them out of the box. The support is added with a BIOS update so if you already owned a X370/B350 board with a 1st gen Ryzen and you want to upgrade to a newer Ryzen. You just update the BIOS and pop in the new CPU.

If you are buying a new system then you should go straight away for a new board anyway otherwise hassle like this is expected.

This is exactly how it works on Intel side as well. If you ever wanted to use KabyLake on a SkyLake motherboard you had to update the BIOS first.

Same with HaswellRefresh on a Z87 motherboard.

And you can find these boards that have already updated BIOS. It should have Ryzen 2 compatible sticker on the box.

But you wont get the new AMD CPU Boost feature with the old motherboards so the CPU wont perform as well without OC as on the new boards.

It does, but you have to understand that those boards were made for the previous Ryzens and so they'll have older BIOS on-board, which doesn't yet know about the newer Ryzens. They'll work fine once there's a newer BIOS there. I mean, it's not like the manufacturers could magically see into the future and add BIOS-support for CPUs that don't even exist yet at the time of manufacture.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

This is exactly how it works in Intel side as well. If you ever wanted to use KabyLake on a SkyLake motherboard you had to update the BIOS first.

Same with HaswellRefresh on a Z87 motherboard.

I know, I was just hoping this was dealt with on AMD's side, was hoping too much apparently. :(

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

They'll work fine once there's a newer BIOS there. I mean, it's not like the manufacturers could magically see into the future and add BIOS-support for CPUs that don't even exist yet at the time of manufacture.

I understand that, but why don't they just ship them with a newer BIOS? Can you ask the seller to update it for you, for free?

Just now, Lord Blue of Screenshire said:

I know, I was just hoping this was dealt with on AMD's side, was hoping too much apparently. :(

I understand that, but why don't they just ship them with a newer BIOS? Can you ask the seller to update it for you, for free?

I updated my previous comment.

Yes, some boards are sold with an updated BIOS and they should have a sticker on the box that says so.

You're asking, why all the companies with thousands of motherboards in stores, warehouses and shipping-containers on the docks don't constantly keep sending the motherboards back to the manufacturers for BIOS-updates...? Hmmmmmmm.

As for asking the seller...It depends on the seller. We have a company called Jimm's here, that offers a service, where they update the BIOS on any mobo you buy for 10€ more on the price. Yes, 10€ for a BIOS-update is a bit steep, but it quite handily solves situations like this. In your case, I'd just get one of the newer mobos, which support the newer Ryzens out-of-the-box, but if you're adamant about going with an older board, then you gotta find a seller that is willing to do the BIOS-update on their end.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You're asking, why all the companies with thousands of motherboards in stores, warehouses and shipping-containers on the docks don't constantly keep sending the motherboards back to the manufacturers for BIOS-updates...? Hmmmmmmm.

I'm not stupid, but they could at least do it on the boards they produce after the refesh.

I'm not stupid, but they could at least do it on the boards they produce after the refesh.

But many manufacturers already do that.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

But many manufacturers already do that.

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes, some boards are sold with an updated BIOS and they should have a sticker on the box that says so.

So how could one differentiate between boards with and without an updated bios when looking at the productpage on amazon for example?

So how could one differentiate between boards with and without an updated bios when looking at the productpage on amazon for example?

TBH, no idea.

Unless it is specified in the specs or the title I doubt its compatible.

If it doesn't say that it comes with updated BIOS, assume it doesn't.

49 minutes ago, WereCat said:

TBH, no idea.

Unless it is specified in the specs or the title I doubt its compatible.

Found a site which offers the upgrade service. Found a couple of boards, will list prices (inc. Bios update if needed and shipping)

- MSI - B450-A PRO ATX, € 103,95 (at azerty.nl)

- MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON, € 123 (at azerty.nl)

- MSI - X370 SLI PLUS, € 124 (at azerty.nl)

- Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5, €134,45 (at azerty.nl)

3 minutes ago, Lord Blue of Screenshire said:

Found a site which offers the upgrade service. Found a couple of boards, will list prices (inc. Bios update if needed and shipping)

- MSI - B450-A PRO ATX, € 103,95 (at azerty.nl)

- MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON, € 123 (at azerty.nl)

- MSI - X370 SLI PLUS, € 124 (at azerty.nl)

- Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5, €134,45 (at azerty.nl)

Anything but that B450-A PRO ATX

11 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You can request a boot kit from AMD if the board doesn't come with an updated bios.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

That sounds great, will read it now.

11 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Is the Asus Prime X470-PRO not an option ?

I love the look, but the cheapest I can find is € 180,89