Users

printf_cyber
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
29 minutes ago, mbasil22 said:

Hey Guys!

So I just Installed Windows 10 64-bit on my Core 2 Duo PC and It is working very well but I am a bit confused on the user accounts side. I have two users, one that is mine and created during the Installation, and is a "Local Account" (Admin), the other used is for my younger cousin (Standard User) and I don't know what type it is, perhaps "Online" because it says the e-mail of my small cousin exactly where my User says "Local Account". Now I want to know the difference between a "Local" and "Online" Account.

Hoping for a positive response,

Basil

If you see the e-mail in small, than (assuming the option in the Settings panel isn't check to not display it) it is a Microsoft linked account.

To really know, login to the account and go to Settings > Accounts > Your Info, and it will say.

Or, if you are admin, you can see accounts added on the system under "Family & under users" under "Accounts" section in the Settings panel.

Microsoft linked account gives you:

• Security. Account cannot be accessed by anyone who doesn't know the password, a password reset disk will not help as it checks the login on MS servers and not locally (although it is cached in the case you are not online). Although, of course, admins can access another user personal information if they are not encrypted by the user of the account. That is all in terms of security.
  • OneDrive integration. Login and content on OneDrive of the user is ready and accessible.
  • Some settings of the account are sync between computers with the same account. For example, if you change the background on one system, it will change it on the other system with the same account.
  • Edge bookmarks, password, and extensions are are sync between system and devices (Android and iOS running Edge web browser)
  • Purchases including DLC, and rental of movies/shows from the Store, is accessible on up to 10 Windows (and XBox One) devices where that account is. So, if you buy a game on your desktop, you don't need to re-purchase it on your laptop, say.
  • Login once for all MS services. This means that Skype, Mail, Calandar, OneNote, etc all knows your system account and uses that as default, and ready to go. No need to re-enter your credentials for each app. Make setup easier
  • Sync of the Windows product key on the primary (admin) account holder of the system.
  • Parental control anywhere. Parents can set/adjust anywhere, parental control on associated account, by going on MS website and login with their accounts, where they can manage their child account.

Hey Guys!

So I just Installed Windows 10 64-bit on my Core 2 Duo PC and It is working very well but I am a bit confused on the user accounts side. I have two users, one that is mine and created during the Installation, and is a "Local Account" (Admin), the other used is for my younger cousin (Standard User) and I don't know what type it is, perhaps "Online" because it says the e-mail of my small cousin exactly where my User says "Local Account". Now I want to know the difference between a "Local" and "Online" Account.

Basil

I -believe- local vs online accounts is between if its connected to a microsoft account.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

29 minutes ago, mbasil22 said:

Hey Guys!

Basil

If you see the e-mail in small, than (assuming the option in the Settings panel isn't check to not display it) it is a Microsoft linked account.

To really know, login to the account and go to Settings > Accounts > Your Info, and it will say.

Or, if you are admin, you can see accounts added on the system under "Family & under users" under "Accounts" section in the Settings panel.

• Security. Account cannot be accessed by anyone who doesn't know the password, a password reset disk will not help as it checks the login on MS servers and not locally (although it is cached in the case you are not online). Although, of course, admins can access another user personal information if they are not encrypted by the user of the account. That is all in terms of security.
  • OneDrive integration. Login and content on OneDrive of the user is ready and accessible.
  • Some settings of the account are sync between computers with the same account. For example, if you change the background on one system, it will change it on the other system with the same account.
  • Edge bookmarks, password, and extensions are are sync between system and devices (Android and iOS running Edge web browser)
  • Purchases including DLC, and rental of movies/shows from the Store, is accessible on up to 10 Windows (and XBox One) devices where that account is. So, if you buy a game on your desktop, you don't need to re-purchase it on your laptop, say.
  • Login once for all MS services. This means that Skype, Mail, Calandar, OneNote, etc all knows your system account and uses that as default, and ready to go. No need to re-enter your credentials for each app. Make setup easier
  • Sync of the Windows product key on the primary (admin) account holder of the system.
  • Parental control anywhere. Parents can set/adjust anywhere, parental control on associated account, by going on MS website and login with their accounts, where they can manage their child account.

51 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I have 3 PCs, so I think I should go with the Online Account - Microsoft linked

Thanks

3 hours ago, mbasil22 said:

I have 3 PCs, so I think I should go with the Online Account - Microsoft linked

Thanks

Yea it's nice. Helps you make you other system feel more like an extension to your main system. And if you put files in OneDrive, well they are sync between systems and embedded in Fire Explorer as a normal folder (no need to go online, or use some different program or install anything), you've got 5GB (or 1TB if you have Office 365)

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea it's nice. Helps you make you other system feel more like an extension to your main system. And if you put files in OneDrive, well they are sync between systems and embedded in Fire Explorer as a normal folder (no need to go online, or use some different program or install anything), you've got 5GB (or 1TB if you have Office 365)

Just looking forward to!

5 hours ago, mbasil22 said:

Just looking forward to!

Forgot to mention, it also gives you access to "Find my device" feature. Basically, if not disabled (Settings > Update & Security > Find my device), Windows keep track of where your PCs are. The same feature as your phone, in the case it is stolen, and deter thieves, and manage your devices linked to the 10 stores you have.

(go here for all this: https://account.microsoft.com/account)

If your laptop and desktop doesn't have a GPS (which most likely it does not), it uses IP geo-location to get an approximate idea where the device is.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Forgot to mention, it also gives you access to "Find my device" feature. Basically, if not disabled (Settings > Update & Security > Find my device), Windows keep track of where your PCs are. The same feature as your phone, in the case it is stolen, and deter thieves, and manage your devices linked to the 10 stores you have.

(go here for all this: https://account.microsoft.com/account)

If your laptop and desktop doesn't have a GPS (which most likely it does not), it uses IP geo-location to get an approximate idea where the device is.

Adds up 

Thanks again!