Purchase Decision. Does the Pixel 2 XL age well?

Hi there,

New to the forum hope you guys can help me out here before I make my purchase of the Google Pixel 2 XL.

I was almost tempted to buy the Pixel but MKBHD came out with his recent video talking about how the pixel drops quite a bit of frames that is noticeable. And how the oneplus 6 is snappy.

The features of the Oneplus 6 like dash charging will probably help for uni. The camera of the pixel is quite good and coming from a HTC M9 it would be quite an upgrade.

So, does the Pixel age badly like how Samsung phones do? Anyone with their experiences. Please do tell me.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, parasyte101 said:

Hi there,

New to the forum hope you guys can help me out here before I make my purchase of the Google Pixel 2 XL.

I was almost tempted to buy the Pixel but MKBHD came out with his recent video talking about how the pixel drops quite a bit of frames that is noticeable. And how the oneplus 6 is snappy.

The features of the Oneplus 6 like dash charging will probably help for uni. The camera of the pixel is quite good and coming from a HTC M9 it would be quite an upgrade.

So, does the Pixel age badly like how Samsung phones do? Anyone with their experiences. Please do tell me.

Thanks.

The phone hasn't even been out for a year yet so who knows? As an owner of the original Pixel from launch, I feel like the performance hasn't degraded at all.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I'd get the OnePlus 6 anyway, it's cheaper and has the same specs, a headphone jack, and Dash Charge

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 minutes ago, vong said:

The phone hasn't even been out for a year yet so who knows? As an owner of the original Pixel from launch, I feel like the performance hasn't degraded at all.

Do you think it's worth spending $750 on the Pixel 2 XL?

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I'd get the OnePlus 6 anyway, it's cheaper and has the same specs, a headphone jack, and Dash Charge

Yeah.. I seem to be leaning towards the Oneplus 6 rn since it does have a headphone jack plus I've seen how fast dash charge is which will help for late uni classes aswell..

Just now, parasyte101 said:

Do you think it's worth spending $750 on the Pixel 2 XL?

It's one of the best phones on the market so sure.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 minute ago, parasyte101 said:

Yeah.. I seem to be leaning towards the Oneplus 6 rn since it does have a headphone jack plus I've seen how fast dash charge is which will help for late uni classes aswell..

Yeah, plus it's cheaper than the Pixel 2

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, vong said:

It's one of the best phones on the market so sure.

But regarding the slow downs everyone is reporting after MKBHD released his video.. it seems as if everyone has had the slow down problem? Except that they thought they were the only one with the problem?

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Yeah, plus it's cheaper than the Pixel 2

I don't mind spending more money on a phone that'll last hence why I'm even consiering the Pixel 2 xl

5 minutes ago, parasyte101 said:

But regarding the slow downs everyone is reporting after MKBHD released his video.. it seems as if everyone has had the slow down problem? Except that they thought they were the only one with the problem?

Well if that scares you then get the oneplus.

As someone who has switched from a One M9 to a Pixel 2 (non XL), it's a huge improvement. The camera alone is worth the price of admission, it easily beats the LG G7 and even the mighty P20 (not the Pro) in terms of speed and quality. The phone itself is great to use, has great battery life and runs circles around any phone I've tried. I have not experienced any slow down with mine at all, but it's still young so time will tell.

Unfortunately I've never tried a OnePlus phone so I have no comparison.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

2 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

As someone who has switched from a One M9 to a Pixel 2 (non XL), it's a huge improvement. The camera alone is worth the price of admission, it easily beats the LG G7 and even the mighty P20 (not the Pro) in terms of speed and quality. The phone itself is great to use, has great battery life and runs circles around any phone I've tried. I have not experienced any slow down with mine at all, but it's still young so time will tell.

Unfortunately I've never tried a OnePlus phone so I have no comparison.

Nice to see a fellow past M9 user haha. Sad that it decided to die on me. How many months have you been using the Pixel 2?

1 minute ago, parasyte101 said:

Nice to see a fellow past M9 user haha. Sad that it decided to die on me. How many months have you been using the Pixel 2?

Almost two months now. I considered waiting for the Pixel 3, but my M9 shit the bed and my backup Nexus 5 burns through batteries so I jumped on a Pixel 2.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

4 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Almost two months now. I considered waiting for the Pixel 3, but my M9 shit the bed and my backup Nexus 5 burns through batteries so I jumped on a Pixel 2.

Front facing speakers of the m9 is something i love and buying a oneplus wouldn't help. Argh. 

I think it's better to wait till the pixel 3 comes out then..

Just now, parasyte101 said:

Front facing speakers of the m9 is something i love and buying a oneplus wouldn't help. Argh. 

I think it's better to wait till the pixel 3 comes out then..

The speakers on the Pixel 2 make the ones on the M9 seem fuzzy and tinny. It's a loud phone, great for blasting music.