Can i edit Red Raw Footage on this system ??

Hey guys !

i have my system with following specs,

1. Amd Ryzen 5 1600 six core
  2. Gskill Ripjaws 8Gb Ddr4 2400
  3. GeForce gtx 1050ti-ex-oc
  4. Kingston 120gb ssd (OS drive)
  5. WD 1TB Hdd

Windows 10 For Workstations 64bit,

usually set to 'Ultimate Performance Mode'

the question is, can i edit 4k red raw footage on this system ??

thank you

4 hours ago, Arsh_DSJ said:

Hey guys !

i have my system with following specs,

1. Amd Ryzen 5 1600 six core
  2. Gskill Ripjaws 8Gb Ddr4 2400
  3. GeForce gtx 1050ti-ex-oc
  4. Kingston 120gb ssd (OS drive)
  5. WD 1TB Hdd

Windows 10 For Workstations 64bit,

usually set to 'Ultimate Performance Mode'

the question is, can i edit 4k red raw footage on this system ??

thank you

make at least 32 or 64Gb RAM and add another 1tb or bigger ssd for actrive projects. do not use wd hdd,.  then you can work with red raw files. i do simple edits with red raw up to 8K resolutioon on 4 year old macbook pro on the road. it only slows performance when i apply filters like noise reduction or other power hungry effects or when rendering out

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

if you wnat to test your system you can download sample files here

http://www.red.com/sample-r3d-files

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

The colour data on reds is pretty crazy. If you're hoping to upload to somewhere like YouTube, you can turn the compression WAY up on the camera. This will save a ton of space and will definitely help with rendering. But still, I agree with the people above, 1TB will not cut it in the long run, more memory would help heaps, and your gpu will cause stutter- but you can set up your software to accommodate (ie. changing render scale in preview) and just waiting for your footage to render at the end. 

I would call this setup a "patience tester" when it comes to editing red footage, but you should get through fine.

Well ! my edits aren't long actually, they are complicated tho!

i edit music videos(usually 4-5min long) even when i am working with a camera like Canon 5D mark4, i make proxies. although my system never lags even if i disable proxies and effects are applied. but actually shouldn't RED footage be relatively easy to work with ? because its uncompressed ! that is not hard for my system to decompress and play. because Canon footage is compressed and we make uncompressed proxies that bigger in size than orignal footage.

and ! can i render red footage off of my hard disk(I'll be editing off of proxies).

or should i get a external ssd ?

2 hours ago, Arsh_DSJ said:

i edit music videos(usually 4-5min long) even when i am working with a camera like Canon 5D mark4, i make proxies. although my system never lags even if i disable proxies and effects are applied. but actually shouldn't RED footage be relatively easy to work with ? because its uncompressed ! that is not hard for my system to decompress and play. because Canon footage is compressed and we make uncompressed proxies that bigger in size than orignal footage.

and ! can i render red footage off of my hard disk(I'll be editing off of proxies).

SSD would be much better for editing than a hdd.

On 8/1/2018 at 6:09 PM, Arsh_DSJ said:

no need for proxies with red raw and your computer spec. but having ssd and not hdd will help with read/write speed.

• 2 weeks later...

You can... but it would not be very smooth. Like some have stated above, the more memory the better. I would also add another ssd as a scratch/cache drive. I have 16gb of ram and this is even too small for me for basic 4k formats. Definitely going to need to upgrade

I'd definitely go for more RAM as others have mentioned, I'm not sure if the 105ti is the best thing for any GPU accelerated taks, but its understandable given current pricing. I'd also try to squeeze in a ryzen 7, since it will benefit your type of workloads.

My system sometimes starts experiencing issues with photoediting, especially if I import loads of stuff into ligthroom and its considered pretty capable, so for more intense video editing, I'd go for more processing power.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/