Just wondering, what is the appeal with something like Shield?

Camul

It just seems like a waste of money to me. It only really does things that existing products do for a higher buying price. Why would I buy one to play games on my PC when I can just play them on my PC? I can even use a controller if I feel like laying back from the keyboard and mouse, and I don't have to have a GeForce card to do any of that and it's far cheaper.

It could be cool way to play Android games on the go with a controller (although there are already cheaper controllers out there already, but Shield looks like it has the best build quality and shape), but really how many decent Android games are there out there that aren't on other platforms or require a controller?

I don't really have anything against the shield or anything, but I just don't really see any reason for it to exist.

It's awesome!

Maybe I want to sit on the couch and play games.

It's a little bit too expensive for what it does,but yeah.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Emulators for me, everything else i dont care about and sadly i dont have a nvidia card and sadly IT ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE FUCKING US

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I like the idea of streaming games on it playing them anywhere in my house. Also streaming to other tvs.

But it is expensive and I could live without the android stuff for a cheaper model.

if someone wants to play pc games on it ok,buy it. but use it as a controller for TV? hell no .  xbox 360 controller + wireless receiver job done

i don`t need the actual product and i find it useless . for me at least

what i wonder is, you could make a pc for 300 dollar that can stream to your tv, plus a controller, i dont understand why somebody would buy a shield

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I don't see anything special in it because it looks terrible and that's really all that counts when you're out.

Plus, it requires a £200 router and a nice £750+ PC to play it.

On the other hand, you could get a PS VITA with a PS3/4 and have the same experience and not look like a twat whilst in public.

Furthermore, the cost of the nVidia Shield setup is £200+£750+£200=£1150 versus £350+£150=500.

Compatible with Windows 95

it has some potential and maybe V. 5-10 will bring something usefull and not with all the restrictions and such.i play from the couch pc games just fine and i only needed a longer hdmi cable

What is it about the shield that makes people feel the need to troll so hard? What is the point of this thread at all? How is this a serious question? You know the appeal of the shield, if you don't you're a bloody idiot, now grow up please!

I think that it's a legitimate question.

What games do you actually play regularly on this thing? I wonder why you don't play them instead on your PC or on your phone?

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

I think that it's a legitimate question.

What games do you actually play regularly on this thing? I wonder why you don't play them instead on your PC or on your phone?

I play a lot of PS1/DS/N64 games because a) my PC can't be played on the couch or outside of my house, b) I don't have a portable PS1/N64, c) Are you seriously going to recommend touchscreen controlls for ps1/n64?

I also play some Arma tactics when I'm not on my wifi, it's quite good. Of course GTA: Vice CIty is amazing too.

If I'm at home on the couch I play some assasins creed, rogue legacy, warhammer, all that kind of stuff.

If you look at it as a $300 PC streaming device that also does android sorta then you're doing it *completely* wrong. It's a full fledged android tablet with all of the features you could want from one, and some of the best specs out there for $300, which is not bad at all. On top of that amazing $300 tablet you get the ability to stream games as well when you're at home!

The battery life crushes any other "mobile" gaming platform out there (seriously, I don't see how you can call something a mobile gaming platform when it has to stay plugged into the wall to function for more than 3 hours). I get well over 15 hours of average use on a single charge, about 7 if I'm playing a lot of graphically intensive games.

The standard formats (microSD, mini-HDMI, USB-OTG) make it super simple to adapt it to other uses (I've connected keyboard+mouse to it for quake on the go, along with easy chatting in IM's). Hell if I wanted to I could hook it up to my monitor and use it as a backup computer!

On top of all that, I don't have $600 to blow on a phone, my phone can do some basic games, but nowhere near what a tegra 4 can pump out.

It's only use is to continue playing the game on your computer while you poop on the toilet.

It's awesome!

Maybe I want to sit on the couch and play games.

It's a little bit too expensive for what it does,but yeah.

You mean like leaving your room? What's it like? :P Seriously though, I understand that, but I'd honestly rather just save the money and play sitting on my bed with a controller or something.

What is it about the shield that makes people feel the need to troll so hard? What is the point of this thread at all? How is this a serious question? You know the appeal of the shield, if you don't you're a bloody idiot, now grow up please!

Looks like it's someone's time of the month. 

You mean like leaving your room? What's it like? :P Seriously though, I understand that, but I'd honestly rather just save the money and play sitting on my bed with a controller or something.

I don't have one.Nvidia doesn't even sale these in Romania.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Looks like it's someone's time of the month. 

Then clearly it isn't a device that's for you, that doesn't mean that you have to make a retarded thread like this. You clearly understand the point of it, so why are you asking? Stop acting like a 5 year old who can't get the fancy toy so he goes home and cries about it to his parents.

Then clearly it isn't a device that's for you, that doesn't mean that you have to make a retarded thread like this. You clearly understand the point of it, so why are you asking? Stop acting like a 5 year old who can't get the fancy toy so he goes home and cries about it to his parents.

So am I someone who doesn't want Shield, or am I someone who does want it, but made this thread out of anger because mummy wouldn't buy it for me? It's just that your post suggests both, which doesn't really make sense.

So am I someone who doesn't want Shield, or am I someone who does want it, but made this thread out of anger because mummy wouldn't buy it for me? It's just that your post suggests both, which doesn't really make sense.

Your posts suggest both as well, you say "Seriously though, I understand that, but I'd honestly rather just save the money and play sitting on my bed with a controller or something." This indicates that it's something for which you are not the intended audience. This is not the same as you not wanting it. At the same time you're creating an entire thread trying to bash a device, which is odd, because why do you care about it if it's not something you would ever want anyway?

Now please stop trolling.

Your posts suggest both as well, you say "Seriously though, I understand that, but I'd honestly rather just save the money and play sitting on my bed with a controller or something." This indicates that it's something for which you are not the intended audience. This is not the same as you not wanting it. At the same time you're creating an entire thread trying to bash a device, which is odd, because why do you care about it if it's not something you would ever want anyway?

Now please stop trolling.

That meant I could understand that someone would want it for that purpose, that doesn't mean to say that I want it, because I don't want it. Also, I didn't create a thread bashing Shield, I just wanted to know what the appeal of it was. That's not the same thing.

That meant I could understand that someone would want it for that purpose, that doesn't mean to say that I want it, because I don't want it. Also, I didn't create a thread bashing Shield, I just wanted to know what the appeal of it was. That's not the same thing.

And yet you claim to know the appeal of it, so either you're an idiot or a troll, not to mention I've explained it multiple times.

And yet you claim to know the appeal of it, so either you're an idiot or a troll, not to mention I've explained it multiple times.

I never claimed to know the appeal of it when I created this thread. Also, I know you've explained it. I like most of your points, I'd have liked your post if you weren't being such an asshole. 

I never claimed to know the appeal of it when I created this thread. Also, I know you've explained it. I like most of your points, I'd have liked your post if you weren't being such an asshole. 

Well sorry, but I really don't see this as being anything but a troll thread, not to mention there are already plenty of areas on this forum and others to find the answer to this question.

Personal attacks are not okay in this community. I don't think that because someone doesn't have a use for Shield that they're a bloody idiot... Not okay...

See, I thought this exact same thing, too. I wasn't sure if Nvidia Shield was really worth the money you have to pay to get it, and I still don't. But I've seen a lot of people get excited for it and I came to realize that apparently, being able to stream games from your PC to a device on your couch or whatever has a much greater appeal than I originally thought. And on that note, I own a 3DS XL and a smartphone. Sometimes, I might want to play on those rather than a PC, not necessarily because the games are different, but I just don't want to sit in front of a computer. It's a fairly ridiculous price premium, to be sure, but people like you and me aren't who Shield is marketed to. Whenever you see a product that you can't find a use for getting a lot of press, it's usually because it's for a different audience.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Shield is awesome for me. It's rekindled my love for gaming. I rarely have time to sit down in front of my computer to game. When I'm there I need to be working. Shield is a way for me to sit in bed and play Batman with PC grade graphics. The latency is low enough that I can even play twitch platformers (about 1/2 way through the 2nd world) like Super Meat Boy. 

Not everyone cares about Shield. 

Great.

That doesn't make it a bad device.

It also doesn't mean the people who don't care about it are stupid.

Shield is awesome for me. It's rekindled my love for gaming. I rarely have time to sit down in front of my computer to game. When I'm there I need to be working. Shield is a way for me to sit in bed and play Batman with PC grade graphics. The latency is low enough that I can even play twitch platformers (about 1/2 way through the 2nd world) like Super Meat Boy. 

Not everyone cares about Shield. 

Great.

That doesn't make it a bad device.

It also doesn't mean the people who don't care about it are stupid.

For me personally I'd consider a Shield because it's a decent portable gaming device which provides a decent method of controlling games. In spite of having a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, I don't particularly enjoying gaming on it. Touchscreens (at least in their current form) are not a sufficiently tactile or ergonomic control method - until we see advancements in the technology in order to make it so, having dedicated buttons and thumbsticks remains the superior option for the majority of games.

The only reason I'm not getting one yet is because it's hard to justify when I already own a capable Android smartphone and tablet, plus it's not available in the UK yet. :(

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff