Janky 3-way SLI setup

Froody129

Setting up a 3 way SLI system just to mess around with. It's not permanent. GPUs are 980ti's. Just have some questions

I have 3 or four soft bridges of various length. Will this setup work? image.png.1da04e0fa1aedd3736c7a0b4777aba8a.png

Question 2:

The system this is going into has an 850w power supply. We have 2 spare rigs with 700w+ of PSU. Can I just plug one of the cards into the PCIE of a different PC and just turn it on? I know I can use a paperclip but I'm feeling lazy :P.

Thanks for any help

That's an F in the profile pic

Should work, I tried it with a prebuilt before because it had a proprietary PSU and I wanted to plug my old GTX 760 in it, worked there, but don't take my word for it that it will work in your usecase too.

Remember to leave the paperclip in the green and black pins, the PSU will instantly shut off if you take it out.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

yes to both

you can get cheap dual psu adapter also same with bridge but if temp it should work just if you shut down that paperclip psu will be running turn off last and turn on first if you ever shut down for period of time

tri sli isnt worth it ran it few times 10% maybe in games and benches

7 minutes ago, pas008 said:

yes to both

you can get cheap dual psu adapter also same with bridge but if temp it should work just if you shut down that paperclip psu will be running turn off last and turn on first if you ever shut down for period of time

It's just for one day as a fun project.

7 minutes ago, pas008 said:

yes to both

Well I know I can use the paperclip. What I'm wondering is if I can use a different system, plug the graphics card into the PSU of that system and then just use that to power it instead of having to take out a power supply and then paperclipping it. I'd really like to not have to unplug the PSU of a spare rig

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

It's just for one day as a fun project.

Well I know I can use the paperclip. What I'm wondering is if I can use a different system, plug the graphics card into the PSU of that system and then just use that to power it instead of having to take out a power supply and then paperclipping it. I'd really like to not have to unplug the PSU of a spare rig

that could cause problems but would see why not as long as that other pc is on before hand

850w might be enough for complete system though