Pc in one room, router in another. Please send help!

I’m getting a pc in my room while my router and Ethernet cords are in my living room. Wiring Ethernet through my house would be expensive because it is only one story. Please send help to me smart people!

How about getting a PCI Wi-Fi card? I have one for my bedroom - which is upstairs - since the family computer which has Ethernet is downstairs in the lounge. My Wi-Fi card is great and inexpensive, and didn't need for me to drill holes everywhere just to get internet on my PC.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

If you're not willing or able to run a longer ethernet cable through or around walls (and I completely understand that) and you don't want Wi-Fi, you could try a powerline adapter. Just be aware that the connection may see some degradation, particularly in older wiring. Also, if you have multiple breakers, the signal will not reach circuits on both.

So your house is on a flat 1 level no basement?

If so how is your flooring like? Is it carpet hardwood etc. How are your baseboards, easy to remove/replace? Secondly is there a main hallway that attaches most rooms?

Other option is buying a powerful WiFi router or a series of routers using this kind of setup:

One option is buying 1/2 copper pipes painting them to the color of the ceiling or wall and run them in the top corner of the rooms hiding the wire :P

9 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

If you're not willing or able to run a longer ethernet cable through or around walls (and I completely understand that) and you don't want Wi-Fi, you could try a powerline adapter. Just be aware that the connection may see some degradation, particularly in older wiring. Also, if you have multiple breakers, the signal will not reach circuits on both.

Powerline is flawed as you pointed out, and I personally was told years ago by a Canada Computers Employee to avoid them.

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Powerline is flawed as you pointed out, and I personally was told years ago by a Canada Computers Employee to avoid them.

They can be flawed, yes, but I for one use them in my apartment with no ill effects. It just depends.

Buy a long cable and just run it on the ceiling.

My life

Just now, Fullmental said:

They can be flawed, yes, but I for one use them in my apartment with no ill effects. It just depends.

It really depends if OP has both rooms on the same breaker then there should be no issues(less other issues you mentioned), this requires access to the panel and hoping the possible idiots who wired it (or owners in the past) didn't make a mistake in writing where goes where and that could entail spend hours to troubleshoot and find out by popping on and off the breakers one by one...

I personally don't think ethernet would be expensive to run from one room to another, I could do my whole home under $500 CAD +- (granted I have a few multi port routers already, and the basement basically done which was $80) if I really wanted too and that's 3 levels 4 bedrooms, living room kitchen etc... It comes down to drawing out and measuring the shortest route

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

im lucky enough that mine works flawlessly as they are on the same circuit. i tested both sides and there is no drop from the rated gigabit speed. i mean my internet is barely 7mbps on a good day, but it's good to know im getting everything :D

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, seoz said:

How about getting a PCI Wi-Fi card? I have one for my bedroom - which is upstairs - since the family computer which has Ethernet is downstairs in the lounge. My Wi-Fi card is great and inexpensive, and didn't need for me to drill holes everywhere just to get internet on my PC.

Mind sending me a link to your card, just so I know someone uses it and it’s efficient. Or just tell me the name so I have an idea of what to search up.

2 hours ago, ImNotTooTechSavvy said:

Mind sending me a link to your card, just so I know someone uses it and it’s efficient. Or just tell me the name so I have an idea of what to search up.

It's called the Asus PCE-N15.

11 hours ago, seoz said:

It's called the Asus PCE-N15.

When I install it, so I need to download any drivers and if so, how would I do that?

41 minutes ago, ImNotTooTechSavvy said:

When I install it, so I need to download any drivers and if so, how would I do that?

Yeah, you'll need drivers. Search up drivers for this card online and you should land on Asus' website. Download the necessary drivers, install, and you're done!

But, how would I access the website? If I need drivers for it to work, I wouldn’t be able to go online and download them.

22 hours ago, ImNotTooTechSavvy said:

But, how would I access the website? If I need drivers for it to work, I wouldn’t be able to go online and download them.

User your phone and pass the internet connectioin to your pc for a while to download that.... for example

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, ImNotTooTechSavvy said:

only one story

That's the easiest.  Everything runs through the attic.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

19 minutes ago, Velcade said:

That's the easiest.  Everything runs through the attic.

Or below the house. Depending on his flooring he might just need 2 grommets and a long ethernet cable with a drill. Drill out a 1/3" hole put in grommet run ethernet through grommet. Go under house house and pull the wire to the other room... repeat step one with the drilling and grommet and now you have ethernet in your room.

I had the same issue that you had. I experimented with 2 different solutions. The first solution was powerline ethernet adapters; and that worked alright but that's only because the apartment building I was in, was brand new. The wiring was brand new.

The 2nd solution was easier. I had a spare TP-Link Access Point laying around, so I just hooked that up, plugged it directly into my computer and configured it as a repeater-bridge to my wireless network and ended up using that instead. If you have a network switch, you can also plug the access point into the switch to give other computers internet access too.