Quiet high-end case with good airflow

SimoneP

I'm looking for a new case because I'm not really happy with my current case (Phanteks Eclipse P400S), regarding noise and temperatures. I find my computer too loud while playing games like Fortnite and the temperatures go up to above 80c degrees for both my cpu and gpu under load.   

So I'm looking for a new case that can provide lower temperatures as well as being quieter. My budget is around €150.

Here are my current specs:

CPU Intel - Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor €287.72 @ Mindfactory
CPU Cooler Scythe - Mugen 5 51.2 CFM CPU Cooler €44.90 @ Caseking
Motherboard Asus - Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard €99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory €169.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €78.38 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €116.65 @ Mindfactory
Storage Samsung - Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive €42.90 @ Caseking
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card €836.99 @ Mindfactory
Case Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case €84.90 @ Caseking
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply €97.94 @ Mindfactory
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan €18.60 @ Amazon Deutschland
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan €18.60 @ Amazon Deutschland
Monitor Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor €440.54 @ Mindfactory
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts

So far I've looked at the Fractal Design Meshify C (€90) , the Fractal Design Define C €95, the Fractal Design R6 (€120) and the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition (€117). The Meshify C seems to provide the best airflow but doesn't seem to be as quiet as the other two. Also I have 3 hdd's so I wouldn't be able to fit all three of them in that case. I'm also not sure if a bigger cpu cooler like the Cryorig R1 Ultimate would comfortably fit in that case. The Fractal Design Define C looks like a smaller R6, is it just a smaller version of the R6 or is the R6 superior to the Define C? The R6 seems a bit too big, but that wouldn't be a problem if that one would be the best for silentness and airflow. I haven't looked that much into the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition, but it's a bit smaller than the R6 at about the same price, it also has a mesh front which is good. I however don't know how good the phanteks is in terms of quietness and airflows versus the other two. Cable management is also important to me.

Does someone have experience with any of those cases and could tell me which case would be best for me?

Noise from a a system comes from 4 things.

Case fans

CPU cooelr fans

GPU cooler fans

HDD.

A high airclow case, wont be able to deaden the sound.

A sound deadening case wont have high airflow.

You already have good fans, so thats sorted.

For the GPU fans, create a new fan curve that only ever brings fans up to a speed your ok with for noise. This may cause the GPU to throttle affecting performance somewhat. Underclocking the card may help in this respect.

For HDD, not much you can do other than soft mounting them to reduce vibration.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

36 minutes ago, SimoneP said:

So I'm looking for a new case that can provide lower temperatures as well as being quieter. My budget is around €150.

So far I've looked at the Fractal Design Meshify C (€90) , the Fractal Design Define C €95, the Fractal Design R6 (€120) and the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition (€117). The Meshify C seems to provide the best airflow but doesn't seem to be as quiet as the other two. Also I have 3 hdd's so I wouldn't be able to fit all three of them in that case. I'm also not sure if a bigger cpu cooler like the Cryorig R1 Ultimate would comfortably fit in that case. The Fractal Design Define C looks like a smaller R6, is it just a smaller version of the R6 or is the R6 superior to the Define C? The R6 seems a bit too big, but that wouldn't be a problem if that one would be the best for silentness and airflow. I haven't looked that much into the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition, but it's a bit smaller than the R6 at about the same price, it also has a mesh front which is good. I however don't know how good the phanteks is in terms of quietness and airflows versus the other two. Cable management is also important to me.

Does someone have experience with any of those cases and could tell me which case would be best for me?

The Meshify C is the loudest because it has no sound dampening foam and open front and rear panels for added airflow. This will be louder than your current system.

The Define C is essentially a smaller and less feature packed than the Define R6, but both have similar sound dampening foam to the P400S you already have. However both have better airflow which would allow for better cooling, and in turn you could lower your fan speeds and by extension, your noise. (ALso the R1 will fir no problem)

The Enthoo Pro M is basically a slightly larger Meshify C. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

The Meshify C is the loudest because it has no sound dampening foam and open front and rear panels for added airflow. This will be louder than your current system.

The Define C is essentially a smaller and less feature packed than the Define R6, but both have similar sound dampening foam to the P400S you already have. However both have better airflow which would allow for better cooling, and in turn you could lower your fan speeds and by extension, your noise. (ALso the R1 will fir no problem)

The Enthoo Pro M is basically a slightly larger Meshify C. 

What about the NZXT H700i, is it better than the fractal design define r6?

1 minute ago, SimoneP said:

What about the NZXT H700i, is it better than the fractal design define r6?

It will be louder than the Define R6 because it does not have sound dampening foam, so not better than the R6 in noise. Thermals, it might do better depending on your system and how you configure your fans. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

It will be louder than the Define R6 because it does not have sound dampening foam, so not better than the R6 in noise. Thermals, it might do better depending on your system and how you configure your fans. 

Hmm tough decision. I like the design of the H700i a bit more, it's a bit smaller, and I assume the cable management might be a bit easier on that one (I also like that you can just push a button to remove the back panel). But it's probably a bit louder then and about €40 more expensive than the Fractal Design.

Why would the thermals be better on the nzxt than on the fractal design? Currently I have 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans.

Just now, SimoneP said:

Hmm tough decision. I like the design of the H700i a bit more, it's a bit smaller, and I assume the cable management might be a bit easier on that one (I also like that you can just push a button to remove the back panel). But it's probably a bit louder then and about €40 more expensive than the Fractal Design.

Why would the thermals be better on the nzxt than on the fractal design? Currently I have 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans.

My guess is either the spacing for the H700 (the distance between the fans and the front panel) is wider, or the fan filter is less restrictive. H700 is 53.9, R6 is 56.0

fractal define r6 cpu all

If you do want the H700, dont get the i version unless you really care about their CAM RGB lighting or the "smart hub" that tries to balance airflow, noise and thermals. It sounds great in practice but doesnt really work that well. 

Cable management is about the same actually. having worked with both the Define C and S340 (which are the smaller and earlier versions to these cases) I preferred the Fractal Design method because Velcro > plastic clasps. (though the H700 does now use velcro too, so it equalizes it)

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

My guess is either the spacing for the H700 (the distance between the fans and the front panel) is wider, or the fan filter is less restrictive. H700 is 53.9, R6 is 56.0

If you do want the H700, dont get the i version unless you really care about their CAM RGB lighting or the "smart hub" that tries to balance airflow, noise and thermals. It sounds great in practice but doesnt really work that well. 

Cable management is about the same actually. having worked with both the Define C and S340 (which are the smaller and earlier versions to these cases) I preferred the Fractal Design method because Velcro > plastic clasps. (though the H700 does now use velcro too, so it equalizes it)

I was indeed planning on getting the normal version then, I don't need the smart hub crap.

Is there a similar graph of the noise levels somewhere, where both the h700 and the define r6 are compared?

Hmm that's good then, so I will just have to decide on temperature vs noise and the design factor then.

Just now, SimoneP said:

Is there a similar graph of the noise levels somewhere, where both the h700 and the define r6 are compared?

fractal define r6 noise

40dba vs 33.8

To note: 10dba is "twice as loud", but a difference of only  3dba is "twice as intense" and perceived to be noticeably louder or quieter to our ears

On 7/24/2018 at 9:35 PM, TVwazhere said:

LOL! Even much cheaper Corsair Carbide 270R outperform the high-end NZXT H700i in airflow performance. I would go for 270R myself, or Corsair Carbide 400Q for quite version of 400C refer to your preference.

There is no cases that can beat Silverstone RL06 in performance vs value! This case is excellent choice. Me myself also looking for this case availability in my country but it's difficult to find store who sell it.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Have you considered buying the new Noctua fans instead? The A12x25 have been shown to perform quietly at 1500 RPMs versus other fans at the same speed. It'll cost about the same to outfit your current case with all new Noctua fans as buying a new case that may not be an quieter. And the fans are the ugly Noctua brown, but Wendell from Level1Techs made the switch for the same noise reason. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case