Gaming and wifi

aezakmi

hey why do you think board manufacturers are trying SO hard to make wifi look better than cable or suitable for gaming?

or is it just to inflate prices?

who-would-win-a-350-router-with-scary-sp

who-would-win-highly-advanced-computer-t

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Because some people can't run ethernet in their homes, and for some reason, a lot of people don't understand that.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Because some people can't run ethernet in their homes, and for some reason, a lot of people don't understand that.

Yes but you can buy a pair of TP-LINK TL-PA4010PKIT and run ethernet trought you cables. I actully use one fror my cameras outside where i cant get ethernet cables

And because the processors in some switches are actually inferior to WiFi's performance (in SOME scenarios). Other people are running Cat5 cable, which offers inferior performance to 802.11ac or even 802.11n. So your $3 snakey boi would actually perform worse than even a $100 not scary spikey looking boi because the actual cable is incapable of handling speeds over 100Mbit. Get Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a or Cat7, and the game shifts entirely, but your cable will still cost more than $3.

This was a totally overdeveloped answer to a simple question. I know.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

I can't run Ethernet cables throughout my place and even Ethernet over Power will take some doing, so I've been stuck on Wifi for gaming.

That said, it's not exactly bad, but I would definitely prefer wired.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 hours ago, Gunn said:

Yes but you can buy a pair of TP-LINK TL-PA4010PKIT and run ethernet trought you cables. I actully use one fror my cameras outside where i cant get ethernet cables

But that's, like, a hundred bucks for just ONE. Plus, at least for me, there isn't a massive difference in performance between ethernet and wifi. Seriously, stop circlejerking ethernet. It's not like an SSD vs an HDD unless you live in a fucking mansion where your router is a few hundred feet away from your computer.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I can't run Ethernet cables throughout my place and even Ethernet over Power will take some doing, so I've been stuck on Wifi for gaming.

That said, it's not exactly bad, but I would definitely prefer wired.

Tried wired, only saw a small ping reduction. Other than that, there was no difference.

But yeah, a lot of people can't run ethernet cables easily, and a lot of people either don't understand or just don't accept it.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I have one of those horrendous night hawk routers and with a decent wifi card my Wifi is just as good as my hard wire. 200+ mb/s speeds outbound and the same ping.. So yeah I'll stick with my wifi :)

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

These things are generally pretty high latency and at the mercy of however old your home/apt is, also hoping everything is on the same circuit. I won't even talk about the cost of the one I have, a 1in 4 out Pos that rarely links up. Just stick to wifi and get a better router if you're having issues.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But that's, like, a hundred bucks for just ONE. Plus, at least for me, there isn't a massive difference in performance between ethernet and wifi. Seriously, stop circlejerking ethernet. It's not like an SSD vs an HDD unless you live in a fucking mansion where your router is a few hundred feet away from your computer.

One thing I would like to do is get an access point in my basement using an old router, so I can hopefully get wired internet down here.

Not entirely sure what's all involved in that...

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Actually the one i send you it costs  like 36 dollars in spain 40 € in change

a lot of people can't run ethernet cables easily, and a lot of people either don't understand or just don't accept it.

Wireless is also quite a bit easier and most people are fine with it.

6 hours ago, Gunn said:

Actually the one i send you it costs  like 36 dollars in spain 40 € in change

My bad, the pricing I looked at was by some random 3rd party seller on Amazon. But still, 40 USD for just one is kind of absurd for me.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

And because the processors in some switches are actually inferior to WiFi's performance (in SOME scenarios). Other people are running Cat5 cable, which offers inferior performance to 802.11ac or even 802.11n. So your $3 snakey boi would actually perform worse than even a $100 not scary spikey looking boi because the actual cable is incapable of handling speeds over 100Mbit. Get Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a or Cat7, and the game shifts entirely, but your cable will still cost more than $3.

This was a totally overdeveloped answer to a simple question. I know.

cat6 is like $6 every 3 meters, not $300

I use it

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

My bad, the pricing I looked at was by some random 3rd party seller on Amazon. But still, 40 USD for just one is kind of absurd for me.

Yeah a little bit expensive but here in spain renting house is the mos t normal thing. And you cant drill holes in the walls to get ethernet to where you need so the only option is buying a plc or use wifi , but in my case usesing wifi is the worse option becose my house have very thick walls

6 hours ago, Gunn said:

Yeah a little bit expensive but here in spain renting house is the mos t normal thing. And you cant drill holes in the walls to get ethernet to where you need so the only option is buying a plc or use wifi , but in my case usesing wifi is the worse option becose my house have very thick walls

If your house has thick walls, either connect to 2.4G if you haven't already, or move your router closer to your PC. Or buy a better router instead of these stupid "power to ethernet" things and ethernet cables. Also, I may be wrong, but aren't those things basically just a wifi extender with an ethernet port? Cause I have no clue how your router is supposed to transmit data through power plug.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

12 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Yes but you can buy a pair of TP-LINK TL-PA4010PKIT and run ethernet trought you cables.

I actually can't run Ethernet from my downstairs lounge up to my bedroom, so I use a Wi-Fi PCI card inside my PC for internet connections. Ethernet is reserved for the family PC downstairs and it would be costly to have Ethernet run up to my bedroom, as well as it being unfair on my brother.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

17 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

All heil King Vega.

If your house has thick walls, either connect to 2.4G if you haven't already, or move your router closer to your PC. Or buy a better router instead of these stupid "power to ethernet" things and ethernet cables. Also, I may be wrong, but aren't those things basically just a wifi extender with an ethernet port? Cause I have no clue how your router is supposed to transmit data through power plug.

Actualy there are some plc that have wifi but the wifi is a pice of shit. And no they are not a wifi extender or reperter you make it act like one but in this case it isnt 

6 hours ago, Gunn said:

Actualy there are some plc that have wifi but the wifi is a pice of shit. And no they are not a wifi extender or reperter you make it act like one but in this case it isnt 

Can you demonstrate how it works?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I think it work llike you take the ethernet data that you have Switch it from DC to AC at a different phase 

18 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's inconsistent.

Unless the router is literally in the same room it's always possible for someone to walk in a certain place and cause some packet loss, or someone to turn on a microwave or something that screws up the signal.

Also in urban areas the is a massive amount of air wave interference again reducing the usable range, increasing packet loss, and plenty of other problems.

A cable is far more consistent.

Less points of failure, lowest possible latency, physical connection.

17 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But yeah, a lot of people can't run ethernet cables easily, and a lot of people either don't understand or just don't accept it.

Linus ran an ethernet cable on the outside of his house to the second floor.

With the right tools it takes less than a day.

If you buy a white enthernet cable you can run it along the inside of the house almost invisible in the corner along the wall.

Most people don't understand that with a little effort and time you can skip crappy wifi and get a hardwired reliable connection that is cheaper and faster.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

It's not like an SSD vs an HDD unless you live in a fucking mansion where your router is a few hundred feet away from your computer.

I don't have a mansion and my router is 18m away (counting corners) from the room where my PC is

It's inconsistent.

yeah no sh*t I tried playing a DOTA match with wifi and my ping was 30ms with 3000ms spikes every minute, literally unplayable. And the router was kind of good it had 3 large antennas and the receiver I used also had a single large antenna

If you buy a white enthernet cable you can run it along the inside of the house almost invisible in the corner along the wall.

x2

I don't really get the whole "why are you not using ethernet for gaming?" thing. You can play all multiplayer games with a 1mbps connection if your ping is alright.

I've played games on wifi for 7 years until a month ago I moved the router so that I could get a cable to my pc, because I wasn't going to waste 50 euros on a wifi adapter for my rig. I noticed practically no difference. My speed is still the same 14Mbps and my ping has slightly decreased, but has no effect on GAMING at all.

Also a lot of people don't seem to realize that powerline adapters cost A LOT of money and isn't really worth it tbh. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-ethernet-Adapter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1532372150&sr=1-5&keywords=powerline+adapter

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

I've played games online on Wi-Fi for 10-11 years with few problems. So I don't see why people are abhorrent towards Wi-Fi other than they've had a few bad runs, found people reporting what they've experienced, and just sworn it off ever since. But that's like saying ramen at a restaurant must suck because all you've been exposed to was Top Ramen. I've only moved to Ethernet because servicing a NAS is slow over Wi-Fi especially when it comes to syncing local backup storage over to the NAS.

But otherwise online gaming? I think the requirements are over-thought about. To put in perspective: I played FFXIV, with others on a dungeon run and a boss fight, using my cell phone as the modem (I was in LAX and I had about 2/5 bars), and I had almost no trouble. It felt the same as playing the game at home. And this is a game where lag is highly detrimental. If you have bad lag, you can literally do mechanics on your end, but fail them because the server thought you missed it.

Because not everyones environment is the same.

I have run Steam in-home streaming over WiFi and its fine most of the time, but periodically it will stall or the picture goes macroblocky, because it picks up interference for a brief period of time.  Why put up with that when a physical cable will completely eliminate it?

If yours works fine, then great, but as WiFi frequencies are shared there is always the chance of another device in range messing it up.  With a cable, you simply don't have that.

Plus there is always that slim chance that someone could hack your WiFi and either use your connection for something illegal, or sniff your data.  Why risk that if it can be avoided?

I'm speaking as someone who extensively uses both WiFi and wired, but will always choose wired wherever possible.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7