Why hasn't Windows been updated for GDPR?

DarkSwordsman

I don't know if there are any specifics and I haven't really seen any news addressing the data the Windows collects and GDPR. I know GDPR is fairly broad and Windows collects a LOT of data, so is Windows violating GDPR?

Did they do anything to address it, or have they not done anything to the OS? I personally haven't seen any major prompt or anything on my machine about it.

GDPR is specifically about PII, personal identifiable information. You can opt out of PII collection already.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

6 minutes ago, 2FA said:

GDPR is specifically about PII, personal identifiable information. You can opt out of PII collection already.

I dont think you can opt out completely.

There is a "Basic" and an "Advanced" option. 

10 minutes ago, avg123 said:

I dont think you can opt out completely.

There is a "Basic" and an "Advanced" option. 

Read my post again, specifically PII. The data has to be able to uniquely identify you in order to be affected by GDPR. The forum here didn't need to change anything because no PII is collected other than what is necessary in order to create an account, e.g. email address.

Again, PII is very specific and you should actually read what GDPR counts as PII vs what Windows collects.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

you seem to misunderstand what GDPR. it's not about preventing data from being collected. it's how it's managed and collected, of which Microsoft did update their tools and privacy policy so they are compliant with it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

The lingering issue is what specifically is being collected. However, as long as that data is anonymized, it's not personally identifying.

Even if someone can take this data and identify it's you, it's likely not because personally identifying data was included. It's because humans are creatures of habit.

1 hour ago, DarkSwordsman said:

Isn't part of GDPR though, being very explicit and telling the users exactly what you collect? Or is that just something that came about during the discussion of what GDPR is?

• Don't store personal data or unique identifiers that link to personal data in GA. e.g. don't store emails, or customer ids, if you want customer specific tracking, hash your customer ids.
  • You require affirmative consent before saving any tracking cookies (e.g. Google Analytics) or any personal data.
  • You are required to remove any personal data from your database upon request
  • If your company has more than 250 employees, or deals with sensitive personal data (ethnic group, medical data, sexuality, some other things), you require a Privacy Officer.
  • You are only allowed storing data that's directly relevant to your business activities.

Thats GDPR in a nutshell (as stolen from reddit ELI5)

Besides, windows does tell you what they are collecting. there's the diagnostic tool which you can see exactly what is being sent to Microsoft

you can also find it here in layman terms

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/configure-windows-diagnostic-data-in-your-organization

or for full disclosure of the different levels

Basic

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

Enhanced

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/enhanced-diagnostic-data-windows-analytics-events-and-fields

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I don't know. It's just that nearly every major site has done numerous things to notify their users of EULA, Privacy, and ToS changes, as well as prompting you for confirmation on these things. On my Windows 10 machine, I have never received a pop up or anything since GDPR has started to say "Hey, GDPR exists and here's what we are doing."

22 minutes ago, DarkSwordsman said:

I don't know. It's just that nearly every major site has done numerous things to notify their users of EULA, Privacy, and ToS changes, as well as prompting you for confirmation on these things. On my Windows 10 machine, I have never received a pop up or anything since GDPR has started to say "Hey, GDPR exists and here's what we are doing."

because it wasn't a requirement to notify you of the GDPR changes, they just had to implement them and then if you do come across something that you had not agreed to in the past, then it will ask for consent.

But I'm pretty sure i remember a windows update that asked my to check my privacy settings when i turned my computer on.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒