How good are Audio Technica m40x?

Olli_

Hi

I'm looking to purchase some new headphones around the £100 mark and came across the m40xs. I just wanted a second opinion and wanted to know how good theh are before i purchase them. Im only using them at home andi like to listen to mainly classical jazz and rock. Will these headphones be good for that? I was looking at the m50xs but heard its way to bass heavy.

Edit: i'd also use them with my digital piano.

Any advice would be much appreciated 

Get the Sennheiser HD 558 or HD 559 for rock/blues/folk/jazz instead. It’s a better pairing because you get a “bigger” sound with smoother highs and more forward mids. You’ll lose some bass compared to the M40x but that’s fine. 

The M40x will do fine on these genres but it does have boosted highs/lows and recessed mids. It’s slightly V-shaped which isn’t so great for rock. And it sounds kinda narrow. 

For the m40x to really be worth it you need to upgrade to the angled hm5 pads which is another 20-40 on top of the cost of the headphones. So if you are on a strict budget the Senny options might be better

21 minutes ago, 3 Minute Reviewer said:

For the m40x to really be worth it you need to upgrade to the angled hm5 pads which is another 20-40 on top of the cost of the headphones. So if you are on a strict budget the Senny options might be better

The Sennheisers just have a better sound profile for jazz. 

On 20/07/2018 at 9:08 PM, kokakolia said:

The Sennheisers just have a better sound profile for jazz. 

Well i had ordered my m40s before i posted and couldn't cancel them gave them a try and wasnt impressed by them and found them very uncomfortable so looks like ill return them ill read more about the Sennheisers 

4 hours ago, Olli_ said:

Well i had ordered my m40s before i posted and couldn't cancel them gave them a try and wasnt impressed by them and found them very uncomfortable so looks like ill return them ill read more about the Sennheisers 

Definitely look at the offerings from Audio Technica, and Sennheiser. They both make cans that are good for more traditional music genres. The ATH MXX line is kind of hit and miss as far as quality goes, and all of them are better for more modern genres like rap/hip hop or dubstep, etc.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:41 PM, kokakolia said:

Get the Sennheiser HD 558 or HD 559 for rock/blues/folk/jazz instead. It’s a better pairing because you get a “bigger” sound with smoother highs and more forward mids. You’ll lose some bass compared to the M40x but that’s fine. 

The M40x will do fine on these genres but it does have boosted highs/lows and recessed mids. It’s slightly V-shaped which isn’t so great for rock. And it sounds kinda narrow. 

This is good advice.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

M40X are only good with Brainwavz Angled pads. Either than that they suck. HD559 is much better.

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

M40X are only good with Brainwavz Angled pads. Either than that they suck. HD559 is much better.

The M40X isn't exactly bad without brainwavz pads, they're just not as good as they could be. For $100 the stock cans are pretty good, it's just that the angled pads make them more comfortable, and make them sound that bit better, which means that you can get even more bang for your buck.

Personally, I don't really like them - I need more sound stage, but they certainly aren't bad cans.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

The M40X isn't exactly bad without brainwavz pads, they're just not as good as they could be. For $100 the stock cans are pretty good, it's just that the angled pads make them more comfortable, and make them sound that bit better, which means that you can get even more bang for your buck.

Personally, I don't really like them - I need more sound stage, but they certainly aren't bad cans.

Well the pads is what helps with the sound stage. Also adds some low end. The angled ones are better than the regular HM5s though because they are a bit thicker.

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Well the pads is what helps with the sound stage. Also adds some low end. The angled ones are better than the regular HM5s though because they are a bit thicker.

I'd certainly agree with that. However, I still need more sound stage than the m40X can offer with any basic mods, and I'm not willing to experimenting with a pair by cutting off the back of the driver casing.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Since you are in the UK, then AKG K612, their technical abilities easily beat 558/559, they are also more analytical sounding and way less forgiving. I find it to be a awesome rock and classical music headphone, since they have some upper mids that are forward which just makes some instruments pop. Ofc both the 558 and 559 are more forgiving and overall a warmer and more forgiving headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Since you are in the UK, then AKG K612, their technical abilities easily beat 558/559, they are also more analytical sounding and way less forgiving. I find it to be a awesome rock and classical music headphone, since they have some upper mids that are forward which just makes some instruments pop. Ofc both the 558 and 559 are more forgiving and overall a warmer and more forgiving headphones.

i had a look at them i listened to a sound demo from z reviews and really liked the sound of the 712s whats the difference between these and the 612s?

29 minutes ago, Olli_ said:

i had a look at them i listened to a sound demo from z reviews and really liked the sound of the 712s whats the difference between these and the 612s?

those sound demos are useless, your own gear will color the sound a lot, 712 will sound a lot different IRL compared to that sound demo. Well the 712 uses a slightly different voice coil, the driver is the same, but the 712 also has a softer headband and a removable cable. The frequency response is the same

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

m40x sounds better with stock pads,than with any other pads in music.Still if you want closed back under 100euro creative aurvana live are best.M40x are artificial timber same with cb1,cal is most natyral,dynamic,and has fastest mid response under 100euro.And good for digital piano.

24 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

those sound demos are useless, your own gear will color the sound a lot, 712 will sound a lot different IRL compared to that sound demo. Well the 712 uses a slightly different voice coil, the driver is the same, but the 712 also has a softer headband and a removable cable. The frequency response is the same

understand that but that's the only way i can listen as there are no stores near me. 

16 minutes ago, Olli_ said:

understand that but that's the only way i can listen as there are no stores near me. 

well it doesn't tell you anything about the headphones sound, it is the same as buying blind. His recording gear will color and change the sound, your onboard will color and change the sound and your headphones will color and change the sound... So why waste time doing it?