My PSU just blew up, what would be a good replacement?

Varpin

So my PSU just blew up (EVGA Supernova G2 750w) It still works, (kinda, it still powers on, but I read it's not a good idea to use it) so I don't think it took any of the other parts with it. 

My CPU is Ryzen 7 1700 and GPU is the MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X. 

What would be a good replacement PSU?

I was thinking about the Seasonic Focus+ 650w/750w, Prime 750w,

Corsair RMx, or EVGA G3 (but I think that had some kind of a problem?)

Thank you :)

11 minutes ago, Varpin said:

So my PSU just blew up (EVGA Supernova G2 750w) It still works, (kinda, it still powers on, but I read it's not a good idea to use it) so I don't think it took any of the other parts with it. 

My CPU is Ryzen 7 1700 and GPU is the MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X. 

I was thinking about the Seasonic Focus+ 650w/750w, Corsair RMx, or EVGA G3 (but I think that had some kind of a problem?)

Thank you :)

A good replacement would be an EVGA 750G2/G3 from an EVGA RMA. If that can't be done, for some odd reason, then a Corsair CX450 would be plenty for your GTX 1060 system.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Check that all components are working first.

CX650M if you have a budget, and Supernova 650 and better if your budget is more flexible.

hi.

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why do you think it blew up? What did it do?

Nothing special, I was just watching some YouTube while playing some Rocket League

12 minutes ago, Varpin said:

Nothing special, I was just watching some YouTube while playing some Rocket League

I meant, as in, what did the PSU do that made you believe it blew up?

:)

21 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A good replacement would be an EVGA 750G2/G3 from an EVGA RMA. If that can't be done, for some odd reason, then a Corsair CX450 would be plenty for your GTX 1060 system.

@STRMfrmXMN What do you think about a Seasonic Prime PSU? Or would a G3 PSU also be good? I have heard that it has some kind of a problem?

I ask about those two, because those are the only tier 1 PSUs that a local store has and I will get one of those if I can't get a new one from EVGA

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I meant, as in, what did the PSU do that made you believe it blew up?

Oh sorry my bad. I read "What did you do". 

Hard to say really. First thing that happened was that my PC suddenly  shut down. I thought everything was working because I still had some of the lights on in the PC. When I turned my PC on again, PSU blows up.

And also haven't done anything special with the PC either

I read that it might be a broken capacitor

The issue with the EVGA G3 was that in some reviewer tests it was showing failures of its over power protection (If I recall correctly).
Edit: You can read about the issue in this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/944852-dont-buy-the-g3/

1 hour ago, Varpin said:

I was thinking about the Seasonic Focus+ 650w/750w, Prime 750w,

Corsair RMx, or EVGA G3 (but I think that had some kind of a problem?)

You don't need 650-750W for your system. 450-550W would be a better wattage for your system. (You really only need 450W, but 550W won't hurt. Any more though and you're just wasting your money.)
The Bitfenix Whisper, Seasonic FocusPlus Gold, Seasonic Prime, Cosair RMx, Be Quiet Straight Power 11, EVGA G2 to name a few all have good quality PSUs in that wattage range.

I notice you're in Finland so I'm not sure how any of these units are priced for you, but I know in the US you can get the Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 550W for $50 while it's on sale and after mail in rebate. Not sure if the special/rebate is available in Europe so you will need to check your local online retailers.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151189&cm_re=seasonic_focus_plus-_-17-151-189-_-Product

However, as mentioned if your G2 is covered by warranty I would recommend you contact EVGA to seek a warranty replacement. I think that unit has a 10 year warranty(?) so you should be within that still.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 hours ago, Varpin said:

@STRMfrmXMN What do you think about a Seasonic Prime PSU? Or would a G3 PSU also be good? I have heard that it has some kind of a problem?

I ask about those two, because those are the only tier 1 PSUs that a local store has and I will get one of those if I can't get a new one from EVGA

You don't need a T1 unit for your GTX 1060 system. Getting a Seasonic Prime unit is unnecessary, but if you insist, then a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold would do alright.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

14 hours ago, Varpin said:

Oh sorry my bad. I read "What did you do". 

Hard to say really. First thing that happened was that my PC suddenly  shut down. I thought everything was working because I still had some of the lights on in the PC. When I turned my PC on again, PSU blows up.

And also haven't done anything special with the PC either

I read that it might be a broken capacitor

What do you mean by "PSU blows up"?

A PSU doesn't just blow up...like a dynamite...

Did you see sparks, smoke, or a loud pop?

EVGA offers a 10-year warranty on their G2 units.

Unless you did something to void the warranty, they should have no issues sending you a replacement.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>