AMD to INTEL (Upgrade plan)

So I currently Have an AMD A10-6800K mounted in a Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 micro ATX board. (paired with a gtx 960 4Gb and 16Gb 1800 Mhz DDR3 RAM).

I'm looking to start some rolling upgrades starting with my cpu/board.then moving onto RAM/GPU later on. (probably a DDR4 3200Mhz 64Gb corsair dominator platinum kit and an ASUS STRIX 1080Ti. The focus right now though is the cpu/motherboard). (Also the future planned ram upgrade may seem overkill but as well as gaming I do a lot of music production as well).

I'm planning on going with an i7 8700K and an ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO ATX Board (my case does support ATX boards) with a NZXT KRAKEN X62 280mm AIO for about £700 (Pounds Stirling) at the moment.

Is this a decent upgrade path and could I do better with that budget on the cpu/board/aio?

Also side question, I'll be using the same drives for now but I'm assuming I'll still need to do a fresh Windows install post platform change?

Thanks in advance!

What RAM are you going to start with? Just a 8GB or 16GB kit?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

you will need both new ram and motherboard for the transfer, even maybe the cpu cooler may need to be new...

if you wan't to upgrade from ddr3 to ddr4, better do it at the same time while changing your motherboard and cpu, because you'd have to buy a new mobo, if you want to upgrade from ddr3 to ddr4.

8 minutes ago, Slazeus said:

So I currently Have an AMD A10-6800K mounted in a Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 micro ATX board. (paired with a gtx 960 4Gb and 16Gb 1800 Mhz DDR3 RAM).

I'm looking to start some rolling upgrades starting with my cpu/board.then moving onto RAM/GPU later on. (probably a DDR4 3200Mhz 64Gb corsair dominator platinum kit and an ASUS STRIX 1080Ti. The focus right now though is the cpu/motherboard). (Also the future planned ram upgrade may seem overkill but as well as gaming I do a lot of music production as well).

I'm planning on going with an i7 8700K and an ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO ATX Board (my case does support ATX boards) with a NZXT KRAKEN X62 280mm AIO for about £700 (Pounds Stirling) at the moment.

Is this a decent upgrade path and could I do better with that budget on the cpu/board/aio?

Also side question, I'll be using the same drives for now but I'm assuming I'll still need to do a fresh Windows install post platform change?

Thanks in advance!

I would get a slightly cheaper mobo and aio and get a 8086k. they are a limited edtion and only 50$ more than the 8700k.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PzLp3b

only 600$

17 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I would get a slightly cheaper mobo and aio and get a 8086k. they are a limited edtion and only 50$ more than the 8700k.

only 600$

Dont overpay by buying a 8086k. There isnt a point. It is identical to the 8700k. And costs more...........

14 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

only 600$

The newer platforms all require DDR4 RAM. If your going to upgrade your motherboard and CPU you will need to upgrade your RAM as well for the new platform. However with that said there is a strong argument to wait as some are saying that Intel may release there 9th generation of processors within a month or so. While it seems it will probably be a refresh of coffee lake there is a wide selection of CPUs to choose from.

Reference Link: https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-9th-generation-processors-rumored-to-release-within-a-month

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Dont overpay by buying a 8086k. There isnt a point. It is identical to the 8700k. And costs more...........

you get a base 5ghz boost, you are buying cards that won the silicon lottery.

That's a point I didn't think about the old ram being compatible with a new board! (which as a new builder still is why I run stuff by forums!)

I'll probably go with a 16gb dom platinum kit for now then, get a cheaper board and push the aio for now and just get a cheaper air cooler for the time

being (I live in Scotland so temps shouldn't be too much of a worry anyway haha.

That's interesting about the 9th gen maybe releasing soon, I think I'd still rather upgrade now and if that does drop just pick one up in several months time. my current cpu is garbage for the music production side of things (it's ok at beast with gaming too).

13 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

you get a base 5ghz boost, you are buying cards that won the silicon lottery.

That 1 core boost. The 8700k has 4.9ghz 1 core boost. The silicon lottery still has to roll its die. edit: the rest is identical. Instead of spending 50$ on a name you should actually buy a binned CPU

Edited by GoldenLag

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

That 1 core boost. The 8700k has 4.9ghz 1 core boost. The silicon lottery still has to roll its die. Instead of spending 50$ on a name you should actually buy a binned CPU

the 8700k has a 4.7k boost.

binned cpus aren't always reliable.

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

the 8700k has a 4.7k boost.

binned cpus aren't always reliable.

Depends entirely where you get it from.

Nvm then guess i was misstaken. But those 300mhz is whats seperates them in a single core boost. The rest of the boosts are identical. Most game engine these days use multiple cores, and that single core boost becomes worthless. It is in anyway possible identical to the 8700k silicon lottery wise. It simply has a 5ghz boost on a single core

You can get a prebinned and ore delidded CPU here: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all

Instead of spending extra on an identical CPU. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Depends entirely where you get it from.

Nvm then guess i was misstaken. But those 300mhz is whats seperates them in a single core boost. The rest of the boosts are identical. Most game engine these days use multiple cores, and that single core boost becomes worthless. It is in anyway possible identical to the 8700k silicon lottery wise. It simply has a 5ghz boost on a single core

You can get a prebinned and ore delidded CPU here: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all

Instead of spending extra on an identical CPU. 

8700k at 5.0 ghz is 500$...

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

8700k at 5.0 ghz is 500$...

That is 5GHZ guarenteed on all cores. It is also delidded. Understand the difference between single core and all core boost/OC. The 8086k is not guaranteed on all cores. You will have to roll the silicon lottery die. Which is the same die as the regular 8700k.

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

That is 5GHZ guarenteed on all cores. It is also delidded. Understand the difference between single core and all core boost/OC. The 8086k is not guaranteed on all cores. You will have to roll the silicon lottery die. Which is the same die as the regular 8700k.

silicon lottery statistics show that a 8086k that cant do 5GHz on all cores doesnt exist, its 100% tested could do 5GHz.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

40 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

silicon lottery statistics show that a 8086k that cant do 5GHz on all cores doesnt exist, its 100% tested could do 5GHz.

So intel actually binned it? From everything ive read its identical to the 8700k (which it is)

Though it is a relativly small sample size. Even then the 8086k doesnt offer any real value.

You are better of spending 50$ on doritos

41 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

So intel actually binned it? From everything ive read its identical to the 8700k (which it is)

Though it is a relativly small sample size. Even then the 8086k doesnt offer any real value.

You are better of spending 50$ on doritos

yes they actually binned it, in a sense that they removed all bad chips, not picking the best just sort out the worst.

Sample size is big enough if the statistic is 100%

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

My i7 8086k dose 5GHz on all cores.

My i7 8700k dose 4.7GHz on all cores.

In benches & in games the i7 8086k is 3fps faster. Both are paired with GTX 1080 ti & tested at 2560X1440.

I am happy I got the i7 8086K.

My i7 8700k easily overclocked to 5ghz & can run a stable 5.1. There was a good chance that if I got another i7 8700k it would not perform as well. I was not going to take the change for the price of dinner for 2 or 50$ on doritos. I may be using these chips for a long time. Especially if the new chips that come out have more cores but the same or less IPC. 

I don't like to take risks with things I may be using for a long time.

I use ASUS Rog Maximus X Hero motherboards. I don't have issues with them. When I buy cheaper, I pay for it in other ways. 

If you can afford it get faster ram. Like most, I bought in to the "you don't need faster than 3200". Then I see benches with 4000 ram doing 10fps better in some games.

Unless your building a server you don't need more than 32gbs ram. For gaming 16gbs is fine.   

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

4 hours ago, jones177 said:

Unless your building a server you don't need more than 32gbs ram. For gaming 16gbs is fine.   

For gaming it is indeed. As I said though I do a lot of music production also. The samples needed for large (30-40+ track) pieces or soundtracks require as much ram as they can get to load fast enough and to be able to play back smoothly in real time (which they achieve once loaded to ram, if there is enough). So yeah for music production of that scale 64Gb is pretty normal, 128Gb would be ideal for industry level production though (and even some industry level movie music projects etc. require more than one system linked to each other as to not overload a single one on playback etc.)

5 hours ago, Slazeus said:

For gaming it is indeed. As I said though I do a lot of music production also. The samples needed for large (30-40+ track) pieces or soundtracks require as much ram as they can get to load fast enough and to be able to play back smoothly in real time (which they achieve once loaded to ram, if there is enough). So yeah for music production of that scale 64Gb is pretty normal, 128Gb would be ideal for industry level production though (and even some industry level movie music projects etc. require more than one system linked to each other as to not overload a single one on playback etc.)

That is something I did not know. 

But I can understand HDs & SSDs being too slow. Most of my bottlenecks are i/o.   

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

7 hours ago, jones177 said:

That is something I did not know. 

But I can understand HDs & SSDs being too slow. Most of my bottlenecks are i/o.   

Yeah the issues with HDs and SSDs etc tend to be when you initially load something, say if I were to load up the samples for a brass or violin section with a HD you can end up waiting a couple minutes while it loads to the ram (in a 40+ track project that time adds up too!), the only time a HD or SSD would effect performance is if you run out of ram and the project has to try and load the samples directly from the drive on playback (this is when you usually start hearing stuttering etc.). A good solution I suppose would be an M.2 drive or something like that.

23 hours ago, Slazeus said:

Thanks in advance!

1. Remove old drives and upload new drivers. No need to install a new copy unless you have problems.

2. IF you want to use your RAM and don't want to throw too much money, get a used 4790K

odiEUW2.png

3. Else get a Z370/B360 Board and an i5 8400 with DDR4 RAM.

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD

2 hours ago, Slazeus said:

Yeah the issues with HDs and SSDs etc tend to be when you initially load something, say if I were to load up the samples for a brass or violin section with a HD you can end up waiting a couple minutes while it loads to the ram (in a 40+ track project that time adds up too!), the only time a HD or SSD would effect performance is if you run out of ram and the project has to try and load the samples directly from the drive on playback (this is when you usually start hearing stuttering etc.). A good solution I suppose would be an M.2 drive or something like that.

My issue with HDs & SSDs is more of a fun thing. I like to mod open world games. Being attacked by 50 NPCs instead of 5 in the original game it too much fun. The problem is my CPU & GPU can handle the load but my SSDs can't. Going M.2 NVMe will be expensive since all my games need to be on it & they weigh in at 600gbs. If it wasn't just for a bit of fun I could justify the cost.

I have found no data on M.2 NVMe drives other than load times. What I need to know is in application reads or burst read speeds on file sizes over 5mbs. Without that info means going M.2 NVMe will be an expensive gamble to me.  

Later