Cracked crank case - help

Kamjam21xx

So i noticed this crack on my ltz 400 and was curious what to do about it. All input welcomed. A new case is too expensive..

20180717_181450.thumb.jpg.be22b063c3c732c1f1c9fefb40b96a85.jpg20180717_181454.thumb.jpg.ac701be10c351424310dbd427e6ea0f3.jpg20180717_181458.thumb.jpg.4e5b9223a0f31e3e12aef4d3ebab527e.jpg

Who makes the case jut out to have the swing arm run through it anyways? Dang engineers in japan got us.

Aside from getting someone to weld it shut (without creating more cracks), the only option I know of it getting a new case (or a used one from a yard or something)

Edit: it seems like you can get certain parts of the case, so maybe you can replace the cracked side instead of changing the whole thing

Some people also use JB weld, don't know if that's an actual fix or only a temporary measure

3 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Aside from getting someone to weld it shut (without creating more cracks), the only option I know of it getting a new case (or a used one from a yard or something)

Its my first suzuki and this thing looks designed to fail. Ive seen people use Jb weld, but i only think to use it on really cheap stuff with virtually no stress on it.

Looks to be spreading too.

1 minute ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Its my first suzuki and this thing looks designed to fail. Ive seen people use Jb weld, but i only think to use it on really cheap stuff with virtually no stress on it.

Did you talk to a shop about a potential fix? or how much it'll cost to get it fixed?

2 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Looks to be spreading too.

It's bound to spread after use; heating and cooling (running the bike then letting it cool off) will affect it

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Did you talk to a shop about a potential fix? or how much it'll cost to get it fixed?

It's bound to spread after use; heating and cooling (running the bike then letting it cool off) will affect it

No i fix everything myself. Figured they would qoute me $750 for the case, mark it up, plus $80 an hour. Which is a lot of money for this specific machine.

Wont hurt to ask though, ill see what they say.

1 minute ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Wont hurt to ask though, ill see what they say.

Ask if there's any way to fix it aside from using jb weld

A new case, or welding it are the only good options here. Any weld shop worth their salt should be able to weld that up for you for one shop hour, probably between $75 and $150.

However, if you really do want to be cheap, you can JB weld it, but first remove the case and drill a hole at the end of the crack; this will reduce the stress concentration and stop the crack from spreading. After that make sure you clean the case as well as you possibly can, inside and out before applying JB weld. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

So i noticed this crack on my ltz 400 and was curious what to do about it. All input welcomed. A new case is too expensive..

"mustie1" on youtube (great channel) fixed a crack on a ATV once, maybe there's something in the vid you can use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFL1i7Q2kK4

JB Weld looks impressive in this video tough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVLoJe3JbFI

Good luck.