WD Black or Blue

coen113

i am looking to buy some new storage space, because my 500 gb drive is quite full

is the price difference ( 17 euro's on an 1 tb drive) worth it?

the WD blue costs 50 euro's, and the WD black is 67 euros

any other suggestions for drives?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Black's loud.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

i am looking to buy some new storage space, because my 500 gb drive is quite full

Get the black, it's a little bit faster. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

but is it 17 euro's faster?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

but is it 17 euro's faster?

The black is significantly faster than the blue in all tasks and is a far more reliable drive. Also they cross ship black drive but not blues. meaning you call today with a bad drive and they put the new one in the mail that day and you have 30 days to return it. The blue they wait to receive it before shipping a new one to you.

Basically these are the drives

Green = Okay

Blue = Good

Black = Best

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

The black is significantly faster than the blue in all tasks and is a far more reliable drive. Also they cross ship black drive but not blues. meaning you call today with a bad drive and they put the new one in the mail that day and you have 30 days to return it. The blue they wait to receive it before shipping a new one to you.

Basically these are the drives

Green = Okay

Blue = Good

Black = Best

do you have any clue howmuch % faster? im coming from an 5400rpm drive, without ssd, so 5 % wont matter that much

do you have any clue howmuch % faster? im coming from an 5400rpm drive, without ssd, so 5 % wont matter that much

It will.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

wd_caviar_blue_1tb_storagemark2010_gaminwd_caviar_blue_1tb_storagemark2010_produ

It will.

is the WD black the best drive to buy costing about 40 % more?

is the WD black the best drive to buy costing about 40 % more?

$17 is not a lot of money when the drive is going to last you for many years. 

I have a blue drive and it's lasted me quite a while thought he black drives will perform better.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Black comes with a 5 year warranty.

Oh my God they gave the Black drive a blue colour on that benchmark graph.

it bugged me too,

Black is faster, along with a longer warranty.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Black is faster, along with a longer warranty.

I agree it is faster but LOUD. Get a Red drive. Which is much quieter. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I agree it is faster but LOUD. Get a Red drive. Which is much quieter. 

red is for NAS's

wd_caviar_blue_1tb_storagemark2010_gaminwd_caviar_blue_1tb_storagemark2010_produ

This bothers my OCD that they didn't take advantage of the model names and give Blue the blue bar, Black a black bar and so on.

Instead of wasting the cash on a loud Black drive, I think you're better off getting a Seagate Enterprise drive. One of the models sports 128MB of cache.

red is for NAS's

I know. Shouldn't really make that much of a difference. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Wd refreshed the black series to give more performance , http://youtu.be/L9QBpRjmVyA. Go search up benchmarks , but I don't think there will be much difference in real life . If you can use the 17 euros for something else like a fan then go with blue. Not sure how many years of warranty the blue has

red is for NAS's

You can use them in a desktop with no issue.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Wd refreshed the black series to give more performance , http://youtu.be/L9QBpRjmVyA. Go search up benchmarks , but I don't think there will be much difference in real life . If you can use the 17 euros for something else like a fan then go with blue. Not sure how many years of warranty the blue has

Blue has 3 years while the Black has 5

Personal Rig

In 3 years time, I doubt that hard drive will be used for anything other than backup. 1TB SSDs can be had for 5XXusd now..which was unheard of a few years ago. 3-5 years from now, You could probably get a 1TB SSD for the price of what you pay for a 240GB SSD now.

In 3 years time, I doubt that hard drive will be used for anything other than backup. 1TB SSDs can be had for 5XXusd now..which was unheard of a few years ago. 3-5 years from now, You could probably get a 1TB SSD for the price of what you pay for a 240GB SSD now.

but now, that hdd will be my boot drive

but now, that hdd will be my boot drive

Then get a Seagate Constellation CS.3 drive with 128mb of cache. Twice the cache of the drives considered and it's enterprise grade.