WD Black or Blue

coen113

red is for NAS's

While that is true, it's also a good drive for reliability, and will probably die in 3-8 years if treated correctly.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Black's loud.

I do not understand why so many people say they are loud? Honestly they really are not. All together in my house I have 48TB of HDD space floating around in between 8 PC's, minus the SSD's I have, all my drives but 2 are all WD black drives. I can say without a doubt they are not loud at all.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Then get a Seagate Constellation CS.3 drive with 128mb of cache. Twice the cache of the drives considered and it's enterprise grade.

Not to be rude, but I'm pretty sure that he isn't wanting to spend more money especially when it's nearly double the price. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I have used 1 TB blacks in all of the pcs I've built during past 3 years (make it about 40 or so) and to be honest I had about 10 instances of bad sector bsod reported and I've never noticed them working loud in comparison to non-watercooled builds.

Warranty is far superior on Blacks vs the Reds and Blues (2 years longer and has the cross-shipping mentioned before). Speed-wise Reds are closer to Blues than Blacks. 

I'd suggest Black when you need a HDD for a boot drive or you want to write/read loads of data (saving content from fraps/xsplit, working on a video material etc, large games). If you need 1 TB for photos, videos etc then go with Blue.

i am looking to buy some new storage space, because my 500 gb drive is quite full

is the price difference ( 17 euro's on an 1 tb drive) worth it?

the WD blue costs 50 euro's, and the WD black is 67 euros

any other suggestions for drives?

Blue is for your typical speed and performance and Black is for high speeds and extremely good performance overall. 

I do not understand why so many people say they are loud? Honestly they really are not. All together in my house I have 48TB of HDD space floating around in between 8 PC's, minus the SSD's I have, all my drives but 2 are all WD black drives. I can say without a doubt they are not loud at all.

Sorry but i have only 1x 2TB Black Caviar HDD and i can always hear it when i load a new page or download something.

Otherwise it is quiet.

EDIT:And is it normal that the Black Caviar is so fragmanted for me  (50%) after like only 1 year and defragging takes ALOT of GB's?

Does it come fragmented?

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

Sorry but i have only 1x 2TB Black Caviar HDD and i can always hear it when i load a new page or download something.

Otherwise it is quiet.

EDIT:And is it normal that the Black Caviar is so fragmanted for me (50%) after like only 1 year and defragging takes ALOT of GB's?

Does it come fragmented?

I think that noise is probably normal, spinning up a 2TB beast. They definitely don't come fragmented. That comes with the amount of data that you put on and how much of that data you actually use.

Using Tapatalk